Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What engine?

Picked up a 97 dx today for $1k and have a few questions. It's had an engine/trans swap done and I have No idea what I'm looking at here so Any help would be appreciated. It's main focus will be a DD with a little oomph. I took a picture of the engine tag. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: What engine?

Old 01-23-2015, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default re: What engine?

The block is from a Civic HX. Post the head code:

https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d.../#post48684945

...and also a shot of the engine bay.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What engine?

Head code is P2A-4
Old 01-23-2015, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Head seems to be from a 96-00 D16Y7 or 96-00 ZC SOHC NON-VTEC

Mix and match

What ECU?
Old 01-23-2015, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it Any kind of big deal for smog or getting parts? I still need to run through everything but don't want to get stuck with my thumb up my butt. PO Did a number of WTF things to it so I have to untangle the mess.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What ECU? Is it a P2E? Are any CEL codes thrown?
Old 01-23-2015, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Engine light works but not illuminated. Any way to check ecu without pulling up passenger carpet?
Old 01-23-2015, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 01-23-2015, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You may be fine for smog if the engine runs okay.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you. As for parts do I order for a dx or hx? Would this be a vtec-e equipped engine?
Old 01-23-2015, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks to me like you may have bought a lemon sir, Mix and match parts are never a good thing even if it was a LS/vtec, or b20 vtec the problem with having this is that , you don't know the quality of the work they did to put it together, also nobody puts together a d series like this because a d series is the weakest engine honda make, granted with couple grand you could boost it but this car will not be reliable, The best thing you could do at this point is to take it to a good shop you trust and have it thoroughly looked at, or perform an engine and Tranny swap, i almost guarantee that if the Block and head are mix and matched it may have a different tranny on as well, People do this to make a quick buck man a civic shell costs 500 Cheap d series parts are something you can get for a couple hundred, he probably already had a few pieces laying around and through it together to get rid of it. TO answer your last question no this is not a vtec-e equipped engine, its not a vtec engine at all, the sohc vtec engines are the Y8 which is what i have but they are just as bad because its a D series also you should buy Dx parts because you have Dx at least if your thinking about cosmetics or anything other than the engine you'll want DX parts aside from the engine your best hope for the engine is getting a new head gasket and a y5 head and have a shop put it together, that way at least both halves will match, Since your engine looks this way i would be sure to take a look at everything else mechanical you're definitely in a scary mess.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Brends4
Looks to me like you may have bought a lemon sir, Mix and match parts are never a good thing even if it was a LS/vtec, or b20 vtec the problem with having this is that , you don't know the quality of the work they did to put it together, also nobody puts together a d series like this because a d series is the weakest engine honda make, granted with couple grand you could boost it but this car will not be reliable, The best thing you could do at this point is to take it to a good shop you trust and have it thoroughly looked at, or perform an engine and Tranny swap, i almost guarantee that if the Block and head are mix and matched it may have a different tranny on as well, People do this to make a quick buck man a civic shell costs 500 Cheap d series parts are something you can get for a couple hundred, he probably already had a few pieces laying around and through it together to get rid of it. TO answer your last question no this is not a vtec-e equipped engine, its not a vtec engine at all, the sohc vtec engines are the Y8 which is what i have but they are just as bad because its a D series also you should buy Dx parts because you have Dx at least if your thinking about cosmetics or anything other than the engine you'll want DX parts aside from the engine your best hope for the engine is getting a new head gasket and a y5 head and have a shop put it together, that way at least both halves will match, Since your engine looks this way i would be sure to take a look at everything else mechanical you're definitely in a scary mess.
I'm fairly mechanical being from the Jeep world and have No problem diving into this to make it my DD. As far as I can Tell it needs a little Love ie tuneup but it runs strong and doesn't leak surprisingly enough. Stays too cool for my liking but That's probably a stuck open tstat. As I dig deeper I'll find out stuff I don't like but Hey it was a $1k vehicle from a tow yard. Appreciate the feedback. Not looking for anything cosmetic, purely mechanical.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:23 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Brends4
also nobody puts together a d series like this because a d series is the weakest engine honda make
I don't totally agree with you here.

Swapping in a good block on a D series is a cheap fix over a full rebuild as the parts are cheap. The block was a good match up for the Y7 head.

OP you can check out block side parts for the HX and top side parts for the 6th gen DX. You may also want to compare part numbers for the block end between the 6th gen HX and the 6th gen DX and see what all matches up.

The hardest part maybe the timing belt. Water pump will be the HX if the parts don't match between the two models.

I am aiming to do up a D series. I want to get myself a D16Z6 block and a JDM 3 stage (dual vtec) D15B head.

Using just the D15B 3 stage motor and a turbo, another person managed to put down a nice 238 HP with good fuel economy and nice low end torque.

With a built Z6 block I'm sure I can surpass the 238 mark safely and maintain high fuel economy and good low end torque all with a SOHC motor, and all reliably.

Not all D series suck.

And before you go there, I really don't need or want more than 250 HP in my tiny lightweight 5th gen civic for a daily driver.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
I don't totally agree with you here.

Swapping in a good block on a D series is a cheap fix over a full rebuild as the parts are cheap. The block was a good match up for the Y7 head.

OP you can check out block side parts for the HX and top side parts for the 6th gen DX. You may also want to compare part numbers for the block end between the 6th gen HX and the 6th gen DX and see what all matches up.

The hardest part maybe the timing belt. Water pump will be the HX if the parts don't match between the two models.

I am aiming to do up a D series. I want to get myself a D16Z6 block and a JDM 3 stage (dual vtec) D15B head.

Using just the D15B 3 stage motor and a turbo, another person managed to put down a nice 238 HP with good fuel economy and nice low end torque.

With a built Z6 block I'm sure I can surpass the 238 mark safely and maintain high fuel economy and good low end torque all with a SOHC motor, and all reliably.

Not all D series suck.

And before you go there, I really don't need or want more than 250 HP in my tiny lightweight 5th gen civic for a daily driver.
Hey man to each his own, that build sounds awesome but what this guy has isn't, i have a Y8 i used to have a b18b1 i love my sohc gas is amazing and high end torque is fun i was going to get new cams and improve it but i decided its not in my best interest but you are right D series parts run cheap you can blow a motor ( hard to do) and then buy another one with a pretty penny, im going for B20 myself here soon, but this thread isnt about a build, i was just showing my concern man.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:05 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

OP will be fine with that franken motor.

By the looks it's only a franken motor by stamp.

Compression ratio is the same with 9.4:1 on both motors.

Then looking up the parts for OP. The timing belt is the same on both motors, the rods are the same on both motors, the crank set is the same on both motors.

The only think different on the block part wise is the piston itself. The HX has a piston design more conducive to the lean burn. I'm not sure what that will do to the non lean burn mode head setup. Might tweak emissions a touch but I'm confident it will still pass efficiently.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OP will be fine with that franken motor.

By the looks it's only a franken motor by stamp.

Then looking up the parts for OP. The timing belt is the same on both motors, the rods are the same on both motors, the crank set is the same on both motors.

The only think different on the block part wise is the piston itself. The HX has a piston design more conducive to the lean burn. I'm not sure what that will do to the non lean burn mode head setup. Might tweak emissions a touch but I'm confident it will still pass efficiently.
My concern wasn't just in the motor man this just looks like some parts someone through together to create this and that scares me i've had similar experiences vehicles in this condition man, you have to admit, there's 2 possibilities, someone was 1) either piecing it together just to get it running for cheap, or 2) this is a red flag about whoever built this and the work they put into it, for 1k you cant argue, you get what you pay for.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by muddywj
Thank you. As for parts do I order for a dx or hx?
DX/D16Y7 engine

...unless you need block replacement parts, in which case buy for the HX/D16Y5 engine.

I'm a little concerned about the aftermarket intake system set up. I don't see the IAT sensor, and the intake could suck in some water during a rain, especially if the splash guard is removed, or could suck in some coolant if the reservoir overflowed. You may want to pick up a stock D16Y7 intake system from a salvage yard.

Would this be a vtec-e equipped engine?
The D16Y5 block originally came with a VTEC-E head, but this was replaced with a non-VTEC D16Y7 head.

Last edited by Former User; 01-25-2015 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:14 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

It's going to vary with a swapped head since the combustion chamber volume and pistons are different. With that setup you're looking at 9.24:1

Play with this and you'll see:

Honda D-Series Compression Calculator by ZealAutowerks

It will still run fine in this case, but sometimes you'll end up with a ridiculously high or low compression ratio depending on what combination of parts you use.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IAT is directly in front of TB on the backside of the tube. Hard to see from the pictures but it's there. I have plenty left to go through. As far as sucking up water, That's always my concern with a CAI. It's gonna take some work but I'm up to it. The front end rattles when hitting bumpy roads and it tracks which ever way it wants sometimes when braking. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions as I'm new to IFS and import.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
DX/D16Y7 engine

...unless you need block replacement parts, in which case buy for the HX/D16Y5 engine.

I'm a little concerned about the aftermarket intake system set up. I don't see the IAT sensor, and the intake could suck in some water during a rain, especially if the splash guard is removed, or could suck in some coolant if the reservoir overflowed. You may want to pick up a stock D16Y7 intake system from a salvage yard.

The D16Y5 block originally came with a VTEC-E head, but this was replaced with a non-VTEC D16Y7 head.
Can I pick up a y5 head and make it closer to the way it was designed? If so what all is needed? I passed emissions by through way. Thanks for all of your help and reasurances.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:02 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, I can't believe they got that to fit and it looks like it came that way from the factory. I believe this engine to be the 4A-GZE engine that came stock in the 88-94 Subaru Evolution GSR.

That car is worth some serious coin, I would hold onto it forever.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slomofo
Wow, I can't believe they got that to fit and it looks like it came that way from the factory. I believe this engine to be the 4A-GZE engine that came stock in the 88-94 Subaru Evolution GSR.

That car is worth some serious coin, I would hold onto it forever.
This does not help in the least. Trying to be funny is Okay but at this point I'm going for a mini-me as it's pretty simple and I've got half the parts on the engine already. Z6 head, ecu and ex trans.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:27 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Don't use the y5 head unless you plan on using the y5 ECU and adding items like 5 wire 02, EGR, etc
Old 02-07-2015, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
Don't use the y5 head unless you plan on using the y5 ECU and adding items like 5 wire 02, EGR, etc
I'm guessing all the vtec-e stuff was too complicated for the shade tree mechanic who put this thing together. I'm happy to do this as I will know exactly what was done. Any idea how to see what trans I have? I'd like an EX because of the shorter gears.

Quick Reply: What engine?