Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96-98 jdm b16a obd2 swap into my 2000 si

Old 02-11-2017, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96-98 jdm b16a obd2 swap into my 2000 si

hello fellow H-T'ers. well after a while of driving my tired 2000 honda civic si, it finally has lost enough compression that its going to either need a rebuild, or, i can put in a jdm 96-98 b16a SIR II motor in. which i am definitely considering. also i live in california so im going to have to abide my the smog laws, or at least mos of them
I have done some research and found that as long as i change all of my sensors over from my usdm b16a2, use the usdm p2t ecu with the motor, and swap my manifolds, and emission systems then i should be fine, except for the ckf because aparently jdm motors dont have them? which brings me to my first question.

(i have done research and have come up with mixed results, need some accurate clarifications here)

1. since the jdm b16a sir II motor does not utilize (as i read) a ckf sensor, is it possible to install the one from my usdm motor? technically all i would need is the sensor and the tone ring correct?
2. does this jdm motor come with a knock sensor? and if so would i have to swap over my 2000 usdm knock sensor since it is obd2b, as well as any other sensors that may not be compatible with my p2t ecu?
3. will i have to use my 2000 usdm b16a2 distributor on this jdm motor?
4. will the change from 10.2 compression to 10.4 compression ratio have any considerable effect on the emissions that my ecu may set a check engine code for? (smog laws have changed since a couple years ago in california, 2000 or newer vehicles no longer require the exhaust gas analyze test. only a obd2 diagnostic functionality and performance check and visual inspection.) lucky me i got a 2000.
5. i read vtec engagement on the jdm motor is at 5700 instead of the usdm's 5600, will this pose any issues?

i plan on trying to make this swap as legit as possible so i dont have to deal with check engine lights, and so i can pass visual inspection and obd2 functionality and performance check at a smog center. keep in mind i will not be getting this engine BAR'd on my civic. i am considering this to be a replacement not a engine swap. any advice would be greatly appreciated as i am due for smog and registration renewal in april of 2017. thanks everyone.

the reason i ask about the ckf sensor is because ive always read that everything is interchangeable, but im always seeing people doing the ckf bypass trick isnstead of just swapping the crankshaft timing belt pulleys to accommodate the ckf sensor.

Last edited by Purple_Hatch; 02-12-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:17 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: 96-98 jdm b16a obd2 swap into my 2000 si

Originally Posted by Purple_Hatch
hello fellow H-T'ers. well after a while of driving my tired 2000 honda civic si, it finally has lost enough compression that its going to either need a rebuild, or, i can put in a jdm 96-98 b16a SIR II motor in. which i am definitely considering. also i live in california so im going to have to abide my the smog laws, or at least mos of them
I have done some research and found that as long as i change all of my sensors over from my usdm b16a2, use the usdm p2t ecu with the motor, and swap my manifolds, and emission systems then i should be fine, except for the ckf because aparently jdm motors dont have them? which brings me to my first question.

(i have done research and have come up with mixed results, need some accurate clarifications here)

1. since the jdm b16a sir II motor does not utilize (as i read) a ckf sensor, is it possible to install the one from my usdm motor? technically all i would need is the sensor and the tone ring correct?
2. does this jdm motor come with a knock sensor? and if so would i have to swap over my 2000 usdm knock sensor since it is obd2b, as well as any other sensors that may not be compatible with my p2t ecu?
3. will i have to use my 2000 usdm b16a2 distributor on this jdm motor?
4. will the change from 10.2 compression to 10.4 compression ratio have any considerable effect on the emissions that my ecu may set a check engine code for? (smog laws have changed since a couple years ago in california, 2000 or newer vehicles no longer require the exhaust gas analyze test. only a obd2 diagnostic functionality and performance check and visual inspection.) lucky me i got a 2000.
5. i read vtec engagement on the jdm motor is at 5700 instead of the usdm's 5600, will this pose any issues?

i plan on trying to make this swap as legit as possible so i dont have to deal with check engine lights, and so i can pass visual inspection and obd2 functionality and performance check at a smog center. keep in mind i will not be getting this engine BAR'd on my civic. i am considering this to be a replacement not a engine swap. any advice would be greatly appreciated as i am due for smog and registration renewal in april of 2017. thanks everyone.

the reason i ask about the ckf sensor is because ive always read that everything is interchangeable, but im always seeing people doing the ckf bypass trick isnstead of just swapping the crankshaft timing belt pulleys to accommodate the ckf sensor.
You can install the ckf if you replace the oil pump, JDM oil pump has no place to bolt the ckf. Or do the ckf bypass trick it works. Knock sensor you swap over from your usdm one because JDM doesn't have it. Use the SI dizzy because your plug on the dizzy from 96-98 is different thant the 99-00. Compression won't matter for smog, if anything the slight bump in compression should make it burn the mixture more efficiently. VTEC engagement won't matter if you run the SI ECU because the ecu dictates the engagement point not the engine, you will need to swap the VTEC oil pressure sensor because JDM is 1 wire and usdm is 2. Basically you can swap the whole engine over and just swap necessary parts pretty straight forward and you should have no issue with smog.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96-98 jdm b16a obd2 swap into my 2000 si

Originally Posted by m90polk1
You can install the ckf if you replace the oil pump, JDM oil pump has no place to bolt the ckf. Or do the ckf bypass trick it works. Knock sensor you swap over from your usdm one because JDM doesn't have it. Use the SI dizzy because your plug on the dizzy from 96-98 is different thant the 99-00. Compression won't matter for smog, if anything the slight bump in compression should make it burn the mixture more efficiently. VTEC engagement won't matter if you run the SI ECU because the ecu dictates the engagement point not the engine, you will need to swap the VTEC oil pressure sensor because JDM is 1 wire and usdm is 2. Basically you can swap the whole engine over and just swap necessary parts pretty straight forward and you should have no issue with smog.
thank you very much for the help. of course when i tried to get the long block from HMO, they sold out of them the day before. damnit! guess im playing the waiting game now.