Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what does a spun rod bearing sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what does a spun rod bearing sound like?

be VERY detailed please

also is it possible for it to happen if water got into a motor (hydrolock)?
Old 06-13-2003, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what does a spun rod bearing sound like? (88hondahatch)

Is your motor making a loud knock at all times? Tell us what you're hearing and it would make things easier.

It's easy to throw a rod if you get water in the motor, due to the fact you can't compress and combust water. It compresses, bends the rod, and bad things happen.

Old 06-13-2003, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not to steal your topic but along the same line. my question is if the bearing on the crank shaft has been scarred meaning its now a bad crank. when i put a new crank in is the rod gonna be ok? or do i have to replace the rod also?
Old 06-13-2003, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what does a spun rod bearing sound like? (nextelbuddy)

it sounds like 'tick tick tick tick tick tick' that's the best I can discribe it really. Why don't you just drop your oil pan, windage tray, and take the big ends off the rods and check them? Also, if its spun, you can drain your oil and look for small metal leaf-like pieces in the oil.

If you messed the crank up, I'd just change the main berings, then plasti-gauge the new ones and use the new crank. It should be alright unless you burned completely through the main bering to the block.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:12 AM
Future Texas Boy

It`s a knock. It obviously knocks faster as the rpm`s climb and it`s constant.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:13 AM

Default Re: what does a spun rod bearing sound like? (Quik Chris)

well the car was driven approx 2 miles after the sound started ad was started once to let my buddy hear it. the sound is real loud when you start the car than goes away and comes back it sounds like if you were to take one of you knuckles and tap it against a desk. i thought it was coming from my head but i took off the valve cover today and everything looks ok, so now i think its from the bottom end but what i dont understand is why my car didnt lose any power. it still ran strong when i pulled it in my driveway. i did drive during a heavy downpour on the way home the other night so thats why i ask about the hydrolock...

thanks for the help so far.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from experience, a bad rod has a deep knocking noise at a constant pace, in motion with RPM's, a bad rocker also has a knocking noise and it tends to be higher pitched. The rocker you can check by takin off the valve cover and havin a peak, not so sure about the rod, Quik Chris has the right idea i believe
Old 06-13-2003, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quik Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it sounds like 'tick tick tick tick tick tick' that's the best I can discribe it really. Why don't you just drop your oil pan, windage tray, and take the big ends off the rods and check them? Also, if its spun, you can drain your oil and look for small metal leaf-like pieces in the oil.

If you messed the crank up, I'd just change the main berings, then plasti-gauge the new ones and use the new crank. It should be alright unless you burned completely through the main bering to the block. </TD></TR></TABLE>

so the rod shold be ok thought right? i looked at all the rods and they all look ok. and the rod that crrespond the the spun bearing on the crank doesnt look any worse than the other 3 rods that are ok.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:22 AM

Default Re: (mOuse)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mOuse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">from experience, a bad rod has a deep knocking noise at a constant pace, in motion with RPM's, a bad rocker also has a knocking noise and it tends to be higher pitched. The rocker you can check by takin off the valve cover and havin a peak, not so sure about the rod, Quik Chris has the right idea i believe</TD></TR></TABLE>

what exactally would i look for under the valve cover? none of the cam lobes/rockers are scarred or anything like that
Old 06-13-2003, 09:41 AM

Default Re: (88hondahatch)

heres some pice of the valve train

Old 03-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Trial User

Icon6 Re: what does a spun rod bearing sound like? (Quik Chris)

Originally Posted by Nextelbuddy
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quik Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it sounds like 'tick tick tick tick tick tick' that's the best I can discribe it really. Why don't you just drop your oil pan, windage tray, and take the big ends off the rods and check them? Also, if its spun, you can drain your oil and look for small metal leaf-like pieces in the oil.

If you messed the crank up, I'd just change the main berings, then plasti-gauge the new ones and use the new crank. It should be alright unless you burned completely through the main bering to the block. </TD></TR></TABLE>

so the rod shold be ok thought right? i looked at all the rods and they all look ok. and the rod that crrespond the the spun bearing on the crank doesnt look any worse than the other 3 rods that are ok.
my answer to that is if you spun a rod bearing or a rod and main bearing both you will hear squeaking and knocking and the knocking you hear is the piston hittin on the bottom of the head the squeaking is the bearing turning in the journal because its welded to the crankshaft from low or no oil supply like u got coolant in your oil had it happen to me thank god i caught it before it spun mine just knocked and had shavings but never spun the bearing if caught in time can be emery clothed and new bearings thats what i did depends how bad the crank is and if one spun and how bad it spun the knocking from the bottom is the crankshaft beating against the block because of the loose or out of place bearing you can imagine what kind of damage you will find good luck hope this helps any other questions just ask me use a quart of lucas oil stabilizer in your oil every oil change i do prevention is better than cure hook up a mechanical gauge as well them idiot lights come on where your plumb out of oil when its to late anyway i hope this has helped you out on the issue
Old 03-26-2011, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robbie1674563
my answer to that is if you spun a rod bearing or a rod and main bearing both you will hear squeaking and knocking and the knocking you hear is the piston hittin on the bottom of the head the squeaking is the bearing turning in the journal because its welded to the crankshaft from low or no oil supply like u got coolant in your oil had it happen to me thank god i caught it before it spun mine just knocked and had shavings but never spun the bearing if caught in time can be emery clothed and new bearings thats what i did depends how bad the crank is and if one spun and how bad it spun the knocking from the bottom is the crankshaft beating against the block because of the loose or out of place bearing you can imagine what kind of damage you will find good luck hope this helps any other questions just ask me use a quart of lucas oil stabilizer in your oil every oil change i do prevention is better than cure hook up a mechanical gauge as well them idiot lights come on where your plumb out of oil when its to late anyway i hope this has helped you out on the issue
WOW thanks for bumping a thread thats 8 years old. The piston HITTING the head because of a spun rod bearing? WHAT? That would be a broken rod/rod bolts. If you "weld" your bearing to your crank you have bigger issues to battle. I spun my LSV bearings at 8500rpm with a turbo and they didnt weld themselves anywhere, just chased eachother around the rod. This whole post makes me want to leave this site....so much false info. and you bumped to spread it. Just amazing.