Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what does this mean?....vtec related

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what does this mean?....vtec related

i checked my solenoid it clicks when 12 volts is applied to the plug on the solenoid and the pressure switch is new...i used a testlight and the light is real bright on the solenoid plug but really dim on the wire harness side..what excatly does this mean? im still learning about electronics and its kinda hard to lean over the computer(im more of a see it done and learn from that kinda guy not a learn from being told what to do when it comes to wires) thanks guys

the motor is a b16a sirII ,jdm p30..im thinking its the v-afc causing the problem of vtec not engaging so i might just take it out and throw it away
Old 02-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what does this mean?....vtec related (FF-Panda)

is the connections on your vafc soldered or crimped?
Old 02-04-2003, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what does this mean?....vtec related (B_Cruz)

thet are crimped with those shitty as plastic clips you just snap on with pliers

i fixed the problem one of those shitty crimp things was loose on the vtec solenoid wire which was throwing the cell.

id like to solder them but im not sure on where to solder them..does anyone have a pic that i can use for an example on how to solder the wires to the ecu? im not a noob to solder but im a noob when it comes to car electronics
Old 02-04-2003, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you don't solder it to the ecu, you solder the it to the wiring harness.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go to http://www.google.com

type in soldering FAQ

Your Welcome.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what does this mean?....vtec related (B_Cruz)

i know how to solder im just not sure on where i should solder the exterior wires to the ecu wires? do i just strip a piece of wire and solder the vafc wires to that and then wrap them in some heat shrink wrap? im not understanding where do i make the solders??? ill try the link
Old 02-04-2003, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I would do just to make sure the whole vtec system is working properly from factory.

Scrap the whole VAFC idea for now and take it from factory rather than wiring everything up at once.

And solder your harness! You don't want to solder to the ecu or the ecu connector, but solder or even get one of those heating wire coats (i forgot the name of it) where you stick the wire in there and use a blow dryer and it heats a coat around the wire.

If you are using but connectors or any of that 'ghetto' nature, I would definitely avoid that.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what does this mean?....vtec related (poison)

im still not getting where to make the solder? do i strip a piece of wire and solder the vtec solenoid,vtec pressure switch,knock sensor,and 02 sensor to the factory ecu harness?just anywhere in the ecu harness close to the ecu?...if someone could take a a pic of how they soldered thier harness and v-afc it would really help me alot lol im having trouble trying to find words to ask what i want to know
Old 02-04-2003, 03:23 PM

You solder at the point of where you connect your factory harness to the sensor.

Not directly onto the sensor (as there should be some slack wire from the sensor so you can wire it properly), but the point of where you connect the sensor to your factory harness.

HTH
Old 02-04-2003, 04:30 PM
In The Garage

all the wires on the VAFC hook up at the ecu. move about 3 inches away from the ecu on the wires and (this is what i do) use a cigarette lighter to strip a small (1/2") piece of insulation off (heat it up, and really fast grab it and yank off the insulation, works really well and doesnt cut any wires). strip 1/2" off the end of the vafc wire and wrap the vafc wire around the ecu wire. cover in solder. wrap with 3M super 33+ electrical tape. (i dont know how you'd shrinkwrap it, but 3M super 33+ is the best and the only tape that i use). voila. better yet, do what i did and trade that damn vafc in for something else (i got 2 Corbeau Forza seats for mine ) and get a chipped ecu. id take a picture but my gs-r is in a junkyard somewhere . but you can trust me, im MECP certified later,
Shawn
Old 02-04-2003, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what does this mean?....vtec related (22lbGS-R)

22lbgs-r..that is excatly what i wanted to know (i too use the lighter melting wire strip trick) not alot of people know about that trick im gonna keep the v-afc thanks for the help
Old 02-04-2003, 05:55 PM

Default Re: what does this mean?....vtec related (22lbGS-R)

good job 22lb gsr
Old 02-04-2003, 06:07 PM
In The Garage

sure, man. i wired up my vafc about 5 times on my gs-r. i kept going between the vafc and the greddy blue box that came with my turbo kit. then i wired them together. so i have a lot of experience with it. good luck mang,
Shawn