Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what does a longblock mean??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what does a longblock mean??

why is it much cheaper than the complete swap? Is it because it doesnt come with tranny and other stuff that it should have on a complete swap?? thnks for ur input...im still new to these stuff...thnks
Old 08-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: what does a longblock mean?? (Mr.EGo)

Longblock consists of the shortblock and head
Old 08-22-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Re: what does a longblock mean?? (BlueIntegraBoy)

now another question arises...waht is a short block im sorry for this stupid question i just wanna get it straight...thnks men
Old 08-22-2007, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

short block is the bottom end via pistons, rods, etc.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:11 PM

so pretty much ur saying that a longblock is just the motor itself??
Old 08-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.EGo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so pretty much ur saying that a longblock is just the motor itself?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup
Old 08-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the shortblock and head yes...

edit: nvm
Old 08-22-2007, 05:18 PM

Default Re: (iVteC_PoWeR)

im planning to do an h22 swap...would u guys recommend just buying the longblock and buy the tranny seperately?? would that be much cheaper in the long end?
Old 08-22-2007, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just get the complete swap
Old 08-22-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Re: (iVteC_PoWeR)

ei thnks for ur input guys...really appreciate it
Old 08-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Mr.EGo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.EGo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im planning to do an h22 swap...would u guys recommend just buying the longblock and buy the tranny seperately?? would that be much cheaper in the long end?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The trans is ridiculously priced.

Unless you plan on going with an H2B setup and using a B series trans (which will still set you back 1600 or so without the motor (H2B adapter kit's about 800, and a good B series trans is about 800) I would just go with a complete swap. That'll come with a longblock, sensors, linkage, and the trans. Then you just throw some axles & mounts into the mix and you got yourself a swap.

A lot of people are racist against the H22 trans though and would suggest an H2B setup, which is nice, but like I said, it'll throw you like 1600 over what just the longblock + mounts are.

Another thing I'd like to add ontop of what this guy said:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Longblock consists of the shortblock and head</TD></TR></TABLE>

Usually longblocks are fully dressed with all the sensors, manifold, throttle body, etc. When you say "short block"- you're usually referring to a BLOCK - no manifolds, no sensors, etc.

Though people have their own definitions of it, that's just from what I've seen a lot from a benz dealership where those words were commonly thrown around because the 300E had a sub-standard sized motor for its weight . They'd usually say like "fully dressed short block" or "short block" just meant the block by itself - or a long block - never heard of a long block without the sensors, & manis but of course, they exist.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Search the marketplace for an USDM H22. It will save you a lot of hassle when it comes time to getting it to pass the BAR Ref since you are in Cali.

May I ask why you chose the H22? Going N/A? Price?
Old 08-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95ProjectEJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Search the marketplace for an USDM H22. It will save you a lot of hassle when it comes time to getting it to pass the BAR Ref since you are in Cali.

May I ask why you chose the H22? Going N/A? Price? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Blah, cali sux, but it sux here in NY too.

You can't throw any CEL's on '96+ cars - and it scans for the OEM ECU. So BLAH. You can't run anything tunable unless it's a pre '96.

'96+ cars get shafted in NY almost as bad as cars do in cali, think about it, it's damn near impossible to legally own a turbocharged '96+ honda here unless 100 miles before inspection you pull out the charge pipe, put the stock injectors back in, and run the OEM ECU - then hope it doesn't throw any CEL's from the secondary O2 b/c of the dump tube...
Old 08-22-2007, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

longblock isn't a complete motor. it doesn't have an intake mani or exhaust mani, and sometimes doesn't even include the distributer and sensors.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:04 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">May I ask why you chose the H22? Going N/A? Price? </TD></TR></TABLE> well i chose it because its much cheaper and gives u good hp and tq to start off...im planning to turbo it btw
Old 08-22-2007, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How much whp are you going for? And how much are you looking to spend? Depending on the price there may be a better alternative than the H22.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:12 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How much whp are you going for? And how much are you looking to spend? Depending on the price there may be a better alternative than the H22. </TD></TR></TABLE> 400+ whp...and right now i have 3 grand just to complete the swap and maybe when im done with school next year i would build it from there on. Btw is 3 grand good enough to complete the h22 swap?? well first of all im not gonna do it my self coz i have very little knowledge about mechanical stuff.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For 3k to spend right off the bat, I would possibly look into a B18b1 (LS) swap with some work done to the engine. I dont think an H22 would be very reliable @ 400+whp on boost. Definitley going to require some engine work. I picked up my complete B18b1 w/ B16 trans for about 800. All I need now is the shift linkage.

Search around the marketplace and see what you can find for an H22 and B18b1. If you need a mechanic, check my sig
Old 08-22-2007, 07:32 PM

b18b1 is the LS right?? and u can also pass the BAR on b18b1 right?? hmmm i might have to read about LS/vtec to grab some more info bout it. As a matter of fact im looking for a mechanic..ill check on that guy... Well i guess i have more research to do and a lot of comparing... thnks btw for your input helps me out a lot
Old 08-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (drtysohc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drtysohc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">longblock isn't a complete motor. it doesn't have an intake mani or exhaust mani, and sometimes doesn't even include the distributer and sensors.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not a complete motor, it's minus a trans.

Like I said before, it depends on the deal, some people add the manis onto it, some don't, it's all up to "how dressed" it is - refer to the post above yours.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

go turbo ls its farily cheap and you get mad torque, ls/vtec sounds good but is a pain and isnt all tat reliable, it should pass BAR as long as the motor is the same year or newer than the car itself, check out hmotorsonline.com there prices are pretty good and can always talk it down a lil, my homie drove out to burbank to the warehouse and got hooked up on a ctr motor
Old 08-22-2007, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

Your car will unfortunately not pass BAR ref it is LS-vtec.

My advice would to pick up a blown B18b1 (LS motor) and have it torn down, machined, and new parts installed. You can pick up a complete longblock for around 400-500. You could even find a complete for less than 1k if you search long enough. Shoot, I even have an extra short block and head that is disassembled and ready to be sent out for a hot tank/hone and to have the crank micropolished/balanced .

PM Luserkid and he can give you and idea of how much everything will cost and will be able to help answer y our questions.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek guey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek guey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go turbo ls its farily cheap and you get mad torque, ls/vtec sounds good but is a pain and isnt all tat reliable, it should pass BAR as long as the motor is the same year or newer than the car itself, check out hmotorsonline.com there prices are pretty good and can always talk it down a lil, my homie drove out to burbank to the warehouse and got hooked up on a ctr motor</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's a load of ****.

An LS/VTEC is only as unreliable as the idiot that built it. I've only seen a few LS/VTEC builds and they were done by normal people and the motors are running fine. Though from what I hear you can't get an LS/V to pass BAR in Cali anyways so it doesn't make a difference.

I agree with you on the Turbo - LS-T w/ a GSR or B16 trans = ownage.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I agree with you on the Turbo - LS-T w/ a GSR or B16 trans = ownage.</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^ For sure, and if you drive the freeway alot and dont like the somewhat high rpm's you could probably toss an LS 5th in there *shrugs*
Old 08-22-2007, 09:03 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If you plan to buy a longblock from anyone, make sure you ask them what it consists of before you buy it so everything is clear. It would suck if your definition includes more than his definition.

Quick Reply: what does a longblock mean??