Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

WHAT DOES A EXHAUST RESONATOR DO?

Old 09-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT DOES A EXHAUST RESONATOR DO?

I just recently did a cutom 2.25 piping and forgot to tell the people to make it with a resonator. i called back asking how much it was and the lady went all cyco on me...she Cussed at me.. i was like Wat....i was just asking the price...

but yeah "WHAT DOES A RESONATOR(EXHAUST) DO?
Old 09-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WHAT DOES A EXHAUST RESONATOR DO?

resonator help your car be more quiet while driving and why 2.25? should of gone with 2.5
Old 09-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dub9.Juice
resonator help your car be more quiet while driving and why 2.25? should of gone with 2.5
everyone in honda tech was like go 2.25 so i did. to late now i'm not gonna spend another 200 bucks..i should've left my car stock. i'm so pissed that imma have to spend another $65 just for resonator!!!!

my EM1 sounds like ****...it sounds like a FART CANNON!!!! WTF! i hate that noise..i was trying to avoid that noise!!!.wth! so if i get a big *** resonator itll be quiet?
Old 09-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flowmaniacscrew
everyone in honda tech was like go 2.25 so i did. to late now i'm not gonna spend another 200 bucks..i should've left my car stock. i'm so pissed that imma have to spend another $65 just for resonator!!!!

my EM1 sounds like ****...it sounds like a FART CANNON!!!! WTF! i hate that noise..i was trying to avoid that noise!!!.wth! so if i get a big *** resonator itll be quiet?
Not necessarily, but possibly.

A resonator, well, it resonates. It reflects sound waves back. Within a given frequency range, this creates destructive interference, canceling out sound.

So, if you want to get rid of the "fart cannon" sound, you'll need to add a resonator that will cancel out the frequency that your exhaust is generating that you dislike, place it at the correct location in the exhaust path (it matters a lot where it is) to allow it to do so, and go from there.

However, if your muffler is lacking the ability to muffle much sound (whether in total or within a frequency range), adding the resonator won't change the volume (much, if at all), just what frequencies make it back there.

One of my cars makes use of a 4-1 header, 3" collector (oversized, acts as an echo chamber and drops tone), high flow cat (minor muffling there), glasspack (only muffles high frequency), 1-2 split around diff to 1.5" pipes, glasspacks, and "resonator" tips. Its super loud, rumbles like a large V8, and really confuses people when they see the 1.5L 4 banger under the hood.

Its all about picking components that work together in an exhaust to produce the sound and flow you want. You can't just slap something else in and expect it to just magically work with everything else. The whole system needs to be designed together with parts that compliment each other for a given goal.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TunerN00b
Not necessarily, but possibly.

A resonator, well, it resonates. It reflects sound waves back. Within a given frequency range, this creates destructive interference, canceling out sound.

So, if you want to get rid of the "fart cannon" sound, you'll need to add a resonator that will cancel out the frequency that your exhaust is generating that you dislike, place it at the correct location in the exhaust path (it matters a lot where it is) to allow it to do so, and go from there.

However, if your muffler is lacking the ability to muffle much sound (whether in total or within a frequency range), adding the resonator won't change the volume (much, if at all), just what frequencies make it back there.

One of my cars makes use of a 4-1 header, 3" collector (oversized, acts as an echo chamber and drops tone), high flow cat (minor muffling there), glasspack (only muffles high frequency), 1-2 split around diff to 1.5" pipes, glasspacks, and "resonator" tips. Its super loud, rumbles like a large V8, and really confuses people when they see the 1.5L 4 banger under the hood.

Its all about picking components that work together in an exhaust to produce the sound and flow you want. You can't just slap something else in and expect it to just magically work with everything else. The whole system needs to be designed together with parts that compliment each other for a given goal.
Where should i have them put the resonator?
i have a 4-1 header and straight pipe right now with flowmaster muffler. 2.25"
i should've left my car stock...Lol wasted 260 and another 65 dollars. could've got my window tinted.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wonder why the shop did not even ask you about the resonator. I remmeber on my '91 Si with a Greddy exhaust system that after a couple of years, the sound became so loud during deceleration especially on freeways it was ridiculous. The loud noise filled the passenger compartment we couldn't have a decent conversation.

It took me 4 trips to the muffler shop before they realized the resonator was shot. I guess the resonator is one pc. of the exhaust system that is overlooked?
Old 09-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow you spent 200 on pipping im sorry what did you get done exactly?
Old 09-24-2009, 02:27 PM

makes the car not loud like a buddy club spec 2
Old 09-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow $200 for full piping. Damn, you got owned. In long beach its $100.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What kind of muffler do you have on it? A larger baffled one will make it quieter than a straight through design. Is the motor stock?
Old 09-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It gets rid of the raspyness. It is basically a chamber that uses the exhaust flow against itself.

They do come in different sizes like 12" and 18"

I too did the 2.25 full exhaust w/stock cat with a magnaflow muffler and a DC 421 header. It was way loud.

I took it to my local shop and had an 18" put on it. It was so quiet I had him remove it and put on a 12" one.

I added a monza exhaust tip and I really like the tones now. But it was not bad without the tip.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just the piping. they charge me 100 bucks..then 90 dollars to wield my own muffler..WTF!
Old 09-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thesmogman
It gets rid of the raspyness. It is basically a chamber that uses the exhaust flow against itself.

They do come in different sizes like 12" and 18"

I too did the 2.25 full exhaust w/stock cat with a magnaflow muffler and a DC 421 header. It was way loud.

I took it to my local shop and had an 18" put on it. It was so quiet I had him remove it and put on a 12" one.

I added a monza exhaust tip and I really like the tones now. But it was not bad without the tip.

i was thinking of putting the long one...i have a flowmaster series 40 on my EM1..they said they muffler that i have on my EM1..will the resonator might not help because its suppose to sound like old cars. GROWL!
Old 09-25-2009, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by alphalanos
What kind of muffler do you have on it? A larger baffled one will make it quieter than a straight through design. Is the motor stock?
i have a flowmaster series 40 on it. i want to quiet the raspy noise but still want the muffler to be loud too. get it?

motor is stock with intake and headers
Old 09-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just catback pipe...they charge me 100 for pipe and 90 dollars to wield on a muffler a bit weird...when i saw the reciept...the women cuss at me too when i called back.."she was like we are not FOKEN responsible for what you didnt FOKEN tell us"..im like damn...that is how u lose customer..
Old 09-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Longbeach562
Wow $200 for full piping. Damn, you got owned. In long beach its $100.
i know i should've just bought a Ebay catback!!! only 130..i can install it myself.