Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What does this color of my sparkplugs represent?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 09:38 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does this color of my sparkplugs represent?

Well I just changed my plugs and I pulled out the old ones and they have this dry white color on the tips. They arent melted or anything, but I cant seem to find a good answer in searching on here, or in any manuals. The plugs were NGK's , the number is the one that is called for. Ive heard it can be normal, but what does everyone think it means? They came out of a 1997 D16Y8 with 118000 miles, using regular gas. Now its possible that the previous owner ran some type of injector cleaner through about 5 months ago. Any help is appreciated. Sorry about the pics , they are to small to get a good shot. Thanks again.

Old 09-16-2005, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What does this color of my sparkplugs represent? (turner7205)

I think they're getting too hot. Check your ignition timing. If that's not it, your running to lean. Usually when they're white it indicated preignition, so try advancing the timing, and if that doesn't work, you need to stop driving immediately.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What does this color of my sparkplugs represent? (JDMH22Civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMH22Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think they're getting too hot. Check your ignition timing. If that's not it, your running to lean. Usually when they're white it indicated preignition, so try advancing the timing, and if that doesn't work, you need to stop driving immediately.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 09-16-2005, 09:53 AM

it looks like its running too hot. what kind of plugs and heat range are they? stock ECU? do you do a lot of high way driving?

i won't go advancing the timing, because it will make the problem worse.

if its all stock then just keep timming at 16* and get a set of one-step colder plugs.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:04 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMH22Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think they're getting too hot. Check your ignition timing. If that's not it, your running to lean. Usually when they're white it indicated preignition, so try advancing the timing, and if that doesn't work, you need to stop driving immediately.</TD></TR></TABLE> If it doesnt work, why should I stop driving? Ill check the book on how to advance timing.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what kind of spark plugs? are they platinum?
Old 09-16-2005, 10:21 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (G U E C O)

They were V-Power plugs. I just bought this car and she told me about 5 months ago she got a CEL and the tech told her it was something with the injectors because she ran bad gas. So he added some additive and it fixed it. The plugs havent been changed since then. Under the white it has that rusty look to it. This really sucks lol. The engine does not overheat. Oil is clear and the coolant is clear so no blown headgasket. Burns a lil oil. Now the white isnt thick at all, not sure if it matters.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:28 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turner7205)

If I let this problem go what will happen? Whats the level of difficulty to fix the timing? Ive never done anything like that before so I will probably have to take it in. So if the timing isnt off, and its still running lean what else could it be?
Old 09-16-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: (turner7205)

It isn't hard to check the timing, but you will need a timing light. 20 bucks and walmart will be good enough. Thw white means too hot, so either not enough fuel, or the timing is too advanced. Any other symptoms? Slugish driving? Rough acceleration? When you install new ones make sure the gap is set correctly.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: (97dxnut)

holy fried plugs...somebody needs to check their timing
Old 09-16-2005, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i like your avatar turner
Old 09-16-2005, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes check timing looks like the motor is leaning out.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:24 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Can the timing be changed over time? I dont think anyone touched it since it was new. Nope car drives awesome, I dont know if im paranoid, on harder acceleration it shakes a lil but nothing major, BUT it doesnt do it everytime maybe 1 out of 20. Fuel consumption is normal. Does not overheat. If a problem came up awhile go and was fixed would the plugs stay the same color? I installed new NGK plugs, and gapped them all at .44. The old plugs were gapped at .44 and were NGK.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

to me it looks like its running lean.. might not be a timming problem or fuel trim.. i have heard that carbon deposits ontop of ur pistons comsumes fuel going into the combustion chamber and can cause u to run lean.. my suggestion, while the plugs are out.. get a flash light or something to take a look inside and check out how the top of ur pistons look like
Old 09-16-2005, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What does this color of my sparkplugs represent? (hibrid hatch)

im going to bump this up for him because mine are just as white and my timing is on according to the timing light, im guessing yours will be rite. I have sluggish driving like bogging under full throttle at start up... is yours like that?
Old 09-16-2005, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lean
Old 09-16-2005, 02:30 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slow_CvC99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im going to bump this up for him because mine are just as white and my timing is on according to the timing light, im guessing yours will be rite. I have sluggish driving like bogging under full throttle at start up... is yours like that?</TD></TR></TABLE> Nope not at all. Car runs perfect as far as I can tell. Can timing change over time on its own? People keep saying lean but what causes lean? Can you just drive the car like this if it feels fine?
Old 09-16-2005, 02:39 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Can Advance timeing cause a lean on the engine? Or are they two different problems? Because like I said before about 5 months ago this car had clogged injectors for awhile, and threw a CEL. Not sure if the color would last 5 months. What about the O2 sensor, or would it throw a code if it was bad?

Modified by turner7205 at 5:52 PM 9/16/2005
Old 09-16-2005, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my plugs look just like that too. timing is dead on, and Im running a walbro 255lph at 40 psi. mine is pretty damn sluggish off the line but most n/a sohc engines are.
bump for some advice!
Old 09-16-2005, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Advanced timing can lead to denotation, which can result in a hot burning plug like that. I wouldn't advance it anymore to try and solve the problem. I would recheck the timing making absolutely sure you're at 16d BTDC.

When you accelerate hard, do you get any indication of pinging/preignition?
Old 09-16-2005, 03:08 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What does this color of my sparkplugs represent? (kkim)

No cant say that I do but then again ive never heard it before. If anything I would retard the timing probably. Can timing change over time though on its own?
Old 09-16-2005, 03:26 PM

well if the car used to have clogged injectors then it probably wasnt getting enough fuel hence the leaning out of the motor and the white plugs. drive around for a while and see if your new plugs are still white.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turner7205 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No cant say that I do but then again ive never heard it before. If anything I would retard the timing probably. Can timing change over time though on its own?</TD></TR></TABLE>

pinging/preingition sounds like marbles being shaken in a tin can with a cloth or blanket wrapped around it.

retarding would be my solution till I could figure out what's going on.
timing usually doesn't change, but that doesn't mean it has not... again, recheck the timing with a timing light.

when was the last time timing was checked/set? if you've never done it, it could be way off if you bought the car used.

also, check if your car is included in the emissions recall for these years of cars. you could be eligible for a free tuneup from Honda.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turner7205 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can Advance timeing cause a lean on the engine? Or are they two different problems? Because like I said before about 5 months ago this car had clogged injectors for awhile, and threw a CEL. Not sure if the color would last 5 months. What about the O2 sensor, or would it throw a code if it was bad?

Modified by turner7205 at 5:52 PM 9/16/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not enough Fuel or too much Air= LEAN
the first thing that I would do is checking your fuel pressure and your injectors and see if the problem is still there, since this car had a clogged injectors before.

I don't think too much advance timing causes a lean mixture becuase when your timming is too advance, it will cool down the cylinder walls and creates high HC. In fact, it's rich when your timming is too advance.

as other people said earlier, your timming might be Off or too much carbon deposit in the combustion chamber also raises up your compression too.

Old 09-16-2005, 03:49 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What does this color of my sparkplugs represent? (Eg6B18C1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Steemo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well if the car used to have clogged injectors then it probably wasnt getting enough fuel hence the leaning out of the motor and the white plugs. drive around for a while and see if your new plugs are still white. </TD></TR></TABLE> Good Stuff. Thats what im hoping for, how much do I have to drive till I get an accurate result?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kkim &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

pinging/preingition sounds like marbles being shaken in a tin can with a cloth or blanket wrapped around it.

retarding would be my solution till I could figure out what's going on.
timing usually doesn't change, but that doesn't mean it has not... again, recheck the timing with a timing light.

when was the last time timing was checked/set? if you've never done it, it could be way off if you bought the car used.

also, check if your car is included in the emissions recall for these years of cars. you could be eligible for a free tuneup from Honda. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope then it doesnt have detonation or pinging. She never said when or if the timing was checked, thats why I asked if it could move on its own. Ive never checked timing before so Ill have to wait till I find someone who can. Where can I check about the recall?

Quick Reply: What does this color of my sparkplugs represent?