Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you prefer?

Whats a good oil...I know the mainstreams oils are good but what do ya'll think?

Have a b-series as well
Old 03-19-2008, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you prefer? (coupeguy885)

if the motor is stock (and by stock i mean it's not turbocharged or fully built), i would just stick to regular 5w-30 oil, no need for synthetic.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:55 AM

Location: ....................................................................................................

Royal Purple Oil is expensive but works great
Old 03-19-2008, 07:56 AM
* B A N N E D *

oil is oil, but if you want quality go with full synthetic or a synthetic blend. I prefer castrol synthetic blend because of the price and quality.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you prefer? (spivt11)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spivt11 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oil is oil, but if you want quality go with full synthetic or a synthetic blend. I prefer castrol synthetic blend because of the price and quality.</TD></TR></TABLE>
not true - in some cars synthetics can be harmful...and i can't remember what thread i read it in, but synthetic blends are harmful as well. with a stock motor the OP is better off just sticking to a regular 5w-30 engine oil as it states on the oil cap.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:06 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: What do you prefer? (Probot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Probot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
not true - in some cars synthetics can be harmful...and i can't remember what thread i read it in, but synthetic blends are harmful as well. with a stock motor the OP is better off just sticking to a regular 5w-30 engine oil as it states on the oil cap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

synthetic oil is generally only harmful during a break in period i.e. new car since friction is desired in that case, but since the majority of new cars use synthetic oil from factory that isn't a issue as it was ten fifteen years ago. If you drive in extreme conditions (cold or hot) or you race your vehicle on the weekends go with a synthetic or syntheitc blend, but if you just drive it for errands and work save money and use regular oil.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:20 AM

its a b18c

with some mods not alot...
Old 03-19-2008, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (coupeguy885)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by coupeguy885 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its a b18c

with some mods not alot...</TD></TR></TABLE>

just bolt on mods right?? intake, header, exhaust?? or has any part of the motor been built??
Old 03-19-2008, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spivt11 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oil is oil, but if you want quality go with full synthetic or a synthetic blend. I prefer castrol synthetic blend because of the price and quality.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i personally use castrol syntec 0w-30 in my b16a. ive done three HPDEs on my current oil change interval and dont have any problems at all. you can get it for $6/qt. at autozone. save your money on those botique oils and dont change your oil too often.

in my stock daily driver prelude and hatch ill pretty much just use whatever conventional 10w-30 oil is on sale every month. this incudes: castrol, pennzoil, chevron, unocal 76, phillips 66, valvoline, autozone oil. every oil change is usually a different brand of oil.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spivt11 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

synthetic oil is generally only harmful during a break in period i.e. new car since friction is desired in that case, but since the majority of new cars use synthetic oil from factory that isn't a issue as it was ten fifteen years ago. If you drive in extreme conditions (cold or hot) or you race your vehicle on the weekends go with a synthetic or syntheitc blend, but if you just drive it for errands and work save money and use regular oil. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm going to have to STRONGLY disagree on the first thing you said there.

Due to the different properties of Synthetic oil, it can cause seals to swell up and crack or shrink on older, higher mileage motors.

My mother years ago had a 91 nissan maxima with 181K on the clock, and it received a synthetic oil change per some lube-joins recommendation saying it would help the motor. (Now keep in mind, many/most of the cars ON THIS SITE are 10-20 years old...)

Well a week later, we noticed oil starting to POOL under the car, as all the seals were starting to give out suddenly (It had never leaked before), We had to trade the car in before it kicked the bucket, all thanks to a 'harmless' synthetic oil change.

And Probot, your Sig makes me laugh every time I see it.

but to the OP, just use regular oil.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you prefer? (Dasfinc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dasfinc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm going to have to STRONGLY disagree on the first thing you said there.

Due to the different properties of Synthetic oil, it can cause seals to swell up and crack or shrink on older, higher mileage motors.

My mother years ago had a 91 nissan maxima with 181K on the clock, and it received a synthetic oil change per some lube-joins recommendation saying it would help the motor. (Now keep in mind, many/most of the cars ON THIS SITE are 10-20 years old...)

Well a week later, we noticed oil starting to POOL under the car, as all the seals were starting to give out suddenly (It had never leaked before), We had to trade the car in before it kicked the bucket, all thanks to a 'harmless' synthetic oil change.

And Probot, your Sig makes me laugh every time I see it.

but to the OP, just use regular oil.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly, thats why unless the OP is running a fully built motor, with or without turbo, he doesn't need synthetic oil. and synthetic blends are just as harmful. and what you said before doesnt make sense spivt11...synthetic is harmful during break in periods but car companies put it in brand new cars anyway??

OP: use regular oil...5w-30

haha i get a good laugh when i read it too Dasfinc..which is why i had to sig it.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you prefer? (Probot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Probot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

exactly, thats why unless the OP is running a fully built motor, with or without turbo, he doesn't need synthetic oil. and synthetic blends are just as harmful. and what you said before doesnt make sense spivt11...synthetic is harmful during break in periods but car companies put it in brand new cars anyway??

OP: use regular oil...5w-30

haha i get a good laugh when i read it too Dasfinc..which is why i had to sig it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, I get less than friendly to stupid people...

Last time I checked, my 07 ford focus says "Feed me 5W20 oil every 6000 miles"

Past that, it doesn't matter.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:52 AM

b18c
skunk2 intake manifold
skunk2 cams
skunk2 cat back exaust
skunk2 full coilovers
act stage 2 clutch & flywheel
Dc 4-1 headers
Oem motor mounts
oem gaskets
arp head studs

all for the mean time..
Old 03-19-2008, 11:18 AM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dasfinc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yea, I get less than friendly to stupid people...

Last time I checked, my 07 ford focus says "Feed me 5W20 oil every 6000 miles"

Past that, it doesn't matter.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

BEFORE YOU COMMENT DO RESEARCCH PLEASE!!!! Probot they set new cars up so they can handle synthetics and blends. Honda even does this Ford is garbage that is why it says feed me 5W20 and they end up breaking down four years later just after the lease! Synthetics are harmful are new cars that don't come factory with synthetic oil and older, older cars do tend to have problems with synthetics as far as people say, but no real research to my knowledge has been done to confirm synthetics hurt older vehicles i.e. 25 plus years. If you were educated and knew how synthetics were produced maybe you would know synthetics have a more consistent molecular structure than conventional, the longer the oil resists breakdown, the better it does its job: protecting engine parts from friction. Research has been done showing synthetics extend the life of an engine because of a more uniform structure and less impurities in the oil than conventional. Please be able read before you comment that goes for you and Probot. Cheap isn't always best. Like I said the first time: if you weekend race or are a spirited driver buy synthetic blend, but if not stick with conventional.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spivt11 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

BEFORE YOU COMMENT DO RESEARCCH PLEASE!!!! Probot they set new cars up so they can handle synthetics and blends. Honda even does this Ford is garbage that is why it says feed me 5W20 and they end up breaking down four years later just after the lease! Synthetics are harmful are new cars that don't come factory with synthetic oil and older, older cars do tend to have problems with synthetics as far as people say, but no real research to my knowledge has been done to confirm synthetics hurt older vehicles i.e. 25 plus years. If you were educated and knew how synthetics were produced maybe you would know synthetics have a more consistent molecular structure than conventional, the longer the oil resists breakdown, the better it does its job: protecting engine parts from friction. Research has been done showing synthetics extend the life of an engine because of a more uniform structure and less impurities in the oil than conventional. Please be able read before you comment that goes for you and Probot. Cheap isn't always best. Like I said the first time: if you weekend race or are a spirited driver buy synthetic blend, but if not stick with conventional.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree that 'cheapest isn't always best'

But I'm a BIG believer in not changing from regular to synthetic because I have seen a higher mileage engine FAIL from doing this.

My focus is far from garbage, its a Mazda power plant, and mazda trans, and has a thick warranty on it anyways, 5W20 oil is for emissions, and tighter clearances, not because 'they are junk'

Per your complaint

My real research, again "Put Synthetic in a 91 nissan maxima that had conventional oil all its life, the seals then failed in near unison." I'm sure if the car had synthetic in it all its life, it would have been different, same goes for the OP, but it sounds like it hasn't had synthetic fed to it since day 1, so I wouldn't change it in fear of blowing out seals if nothing else its not gonna HURT the motor to use regular oil....

as for me, I JUST dropped a B18B into my 92 EG, and I will drive the hell out of it, and still feed it conventional oil because I don't want to risk the consequences of what I've seen converting to synthetic do to an engines seals...
Old 03-19-2008, 11:31 AM
* B A N N E D *

I agree that 'cheapest isn't always best'

But I'm a BIG believer in not changing from regular to synthetic because I have seen a higher mileage engine FAIL from doing this.

My focus is far from garbage, its a Mazda power plant, and mazda trans, and has a thick warranty on it anyways, 5W20 oil is for emissions, and tighter clearances, not because 'they are junk'

Per your complaint

My real research, again "Put Synthetic in a 91 nissan maxima that had conventional oil all its life, the seals then failed in near unison." I'm sure if the car had synthetic in it all its life, it would have been different, same goes for the OP, but it sounds like it hasn't had synthetic fed to it since day 1, so I wouldn't change it in fear of blowing out seals if nothing else its not gonna HURT the motor to use regular oil....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe you should read before you comment than. I have no sympathy for people like you, you all bash before you even comprehend the post and provide no real advice for the OP usually, that goes for Probot as well . I clearly said if he intends to race or go to the track with his motor synthetics are proven to withstand the heat way better than conventional, but if he isn't synthetics aren't worth the money. READ before you bash cause then you sound like an idiot and end up trying to explain your lame grandma story again!
Old 03-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe you should read before you comment than. I have no sympathy for people like you, you all bash before you even comprehend the post and provide no real advice for the OP usually, that goes for Probot as well . I clearly said if he intends to race or go to the track with his motor synthetics are proven to withstand the heat way better than conventional, but if he isn't synthetics aren't worth the money. READ before you bash cause then you sound like an idiot and end up trying to explain your lame grandma story again! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't mean to bash, I'm stating that through my experience, even if you are going to agressivily drive the car, if its always had conventional, I wouldn't switch to synthetic if its a higher mileage motor... I'm not sure I made that point clear enough.

If the car has say, less than 60K on the motor, I'd put synthetic in it as well if it will be driven hard, but I was trying to say for an 'unknown condition' engine, I would just feed it conventional.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you prefer?

im a believer that you can switch back and forth between synthetics with any negative effects at all. ive done it many times in my daily driven prelude.instead of arguing your point on h-t, id suggest you guys duke it out on bobistheoilguy.com b/c youll get real answers there.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/...s.php