Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what to do.. timing belt/water pump... or engine>>>???

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do.. timing belt/water pump... or engine>>>???

welll last night was a fun night driving into work...

going about 55 mph.. my car just cut out... on the highway.. fun for me... 1045pm on a highway, a girl, going to work car dies...

well long story short thought maybe my gas gauge was fucked, so put gas in it nope, THOUGHT maybe it was the starter... nope... then dawned on me..

MY STINKING TIMING BELT!!!!! a couple bolts later took the cover down and there is was in peices shreads shardes.. blew up timing belt....

what to do from here... replace the timing belt of course... but if things are bent and jacked up inside it will have been replaced all for nothing still won't work...

any suggestions prior to changing the belt to get some kind of idea if i should proceed...

thanks so much!!!!

if ya want hit me up directly

Laudiei -aim or see below
Old 09-11-2006, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh and by the way..

eg8 with about 150k on it
Old 09-11-2006, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM4DRLX)

going that fast, i think it'd be safe to say that your pistons have met your valves. Take the head off and see if they are bent. If they are, you could be better off swapping in a new engine.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:02 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: (DeadEnd9009)

Depending on how you can work on a car, I would take the head of and inspect everything. If everything looks good, throw on a new timing belt and call it at that.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (DeadEnd9009)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DeadEnd9009 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">going that fast, i think it'd be safe to say that your pistons have met your valves. Take the head off and see if they are bent. If they are, you could be better off swapping in a new engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's not even suggested, that's pretty much required :-\. Listen to this guy though. Take off the head and look at the valves. At the speed you were doing, there's a good 99% chance the valves are all bent to ****. Hondas are interference engines so when the TB breaks at that speed your valves (9 times out of 10) are fucked. You'll probably need to replace 'em. Replace all of them (don't try to get away with just replacing the ones that look bad) because the other ones might not look bad but might not be seating 100% making for bad compression #'s.

It's an EG8 you said, which I'm pretty sure is the 92-95 DX 4 door? (I'm not sure about all chassis codes and don't feel like looking it up right now :-P) If it is, then it has the D15B7 non-vtec engine it, that whole entire engine with like 30k is like 200 bucks as a long block, maybe it's time for a swap? Or you can just replace the valves, but depending on your mileage, an engine swap may be in order. You can get a JDM D15B VTEC off of http://www.hmotorsonline.com for $400 + shipping which isn't bad at all - especially for a DX swap if you're using it as a daily driver.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Depending on how you can work on a car, I would take the head of and inspect everything. If everything looks good, throw on a new timing belt and call it at that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ive had my timing belt shred to bits on my car before. Slapped a new timing belt on and i was good to go. Got lucky of course. Only pulling the head will tell.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ive had my timing belt shred to bits on my car before. Slapped a new timing belt on and i was good to go. Got lucky of course. Only pulling the head will tell. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Though these may have been non-interference engines (in which case it wouldn't have mattered) even if they are interference engines, if you loose the timing belt going 55mph and you leave it in gear until you stop (what probably happend) your valves are probably roasted to ****.

Though as you said, everything is "probably" or "maybe" until you pull off the head.