Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What to do next? Improving handling...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do next? Improving handling...

Alright so my motor is a fully built lsvtec, car exterior is done (painted, cf hood, cf duckbill, lip kit) upgraded suspension (Tokiko Whites 5 way shocks, Comp Tech Lowering springs, Skunk2 camber kit) bigger brakes (gsr disk swap) So now im left thinking what to do next...

I figure interior (still stock) and also some mods to improve handling.
I havent really looked that much into sway bars, b and c-pillar bars, lca's, subframe braces, H-Braces etc... Im wondering, i dont want to go all out, what's going to give me the most gains? This is my Daily Driver but i do track it every once in a while... Dont have a huge budget. What should i go for first? I already have the strut tower bar under the hood. Also does anyone know of a write-up involving rear sway bars, advantages/disadvantages of certain lengths and types? I really have no idea about these at all.. thanks alot!
Old 06-18-2008, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to do next? Improving handling... (Momentum)

ST rear sway
Old 06-18-2008, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to do next? Improving handling... (gibsanez)

rear sway bar or upper and lower rear tower bars. or both lol.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ditto on rear sway bar or upper and lower rear tower bars.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What is say the difference between ebay bars and a password: jdm bar?

A bar is a bar right?
Old 06-18-2008, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea. pretty much a bar is a bar, just some people prefer name brand everything.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Improve handling? You already got springs and shocks. You don't need to add anymore metal pieces to the suspension. Not to mention extra weight.

I would invest in tires. I good set of rubber will make a car stick like glue.

15 years ago, I had a chance to push a (then) brand new Chevy Lumina LTZ to the max at a course. The car felt like it was out of control, but it stay on like glue, and I was able to really push hard. No matter how out of control I felt, the car just go where I wanted it. The tires were Goodyear Eagle.

We also had a Honda Accord and Toyota Camry. Both suspension felt much much better and in control. But the tires were weak and just give in, so I really wasn't controlling it as well as I think I was.

Why was that I wondered????? It's the WAY better Goodyear high performance tires on the Lumina LTZ model.

I think you are done with your suspension set up. Invest in tires FTW.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Right now im running federals... they spin like no other Even at like a 25000rpm launch they just spin
Old 06-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (Momentum)

There was a time when there were just regular tires and performance tires. Today, there are so many garbage tires in high performance specs, that I sometime worry when I'm on the brake hard, or when there is a bit of rain and sand on the road. I'm guilty too. I have owned a few sets.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GoLowDrew)

I have a set of Lexani N3000's in my laundry room, think they would grip better? They are almost new.. but ive never driven on em
Old 06-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ebay has specials for front/rear upper/lower strut bar packages that include a c pillar bar for like $60 plus shipping, i got one and for the money it is totally worth it
Old 06-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

tires
sways
chassis bracing

in that order
Old 06-18-2008, 11:53 AM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (GoLowDrew)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GoLowDrew &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Today, there are so many garbage tires...</TD></TR></TABLE>

WeRd!

I ran the OEM Firestones for a while - total garbage!!! Almost killed myself running them...

I bought some Yokohamas next - garbage! Got mushy after a year...

Finally, I re-discovered Pirellis - these things rock! I'll never switch...

Anyway, tires make a huge difference!

You just gotta find a tire that suits your driving style and local environment...
Old 06-18-2008, 12:45 PM
DixielandImports Please

Default Re: (BlackDeuceCoupe)

No one saw that guy launches at 25,000 rpms

J/P.

OP- Just find you a factory front sway bar and buy a rear sway bar, then some strut bars, then some good tires.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Momentum &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Right now im running federals... they spin like no other Even at like a 25000rpm launch they just spin</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, there's your problem

There's only one part of your car that touches the road (unless you scrape your exhaust on every speed bump like me) and that's your tires. You could take a fantastic handling car and throw some crappy all-seasons on there and you'll be sliding all over the place.

Pick up some Falken Azenis or something decent and you'll notice a world of difference. Your launches and cornering will be so much better you'll think you're driving a different car.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

first off, why not invest in security? From your mods list, you have over $5k invested in your EG. Get a DEI alarm, make sure its a stealth install with extras. Im not sure how bad the theft rate is there but here in socal i wouldn't be caught driving any swapped civic or integra as a DD.

As for tires, i do agree that tires are key to a good handling car. But its your suspension that does most of the work. My buddies and I do (safe) canyon runs from time to time. My buddies DA runs 12k/10k spring rates with falken ziex tires. He runs circles around us. (Most of our cars are running decent suspension setups with good tires (es100's) ) He is the better drive out of all of us which is a big advantage. My point is, his tires isn't his advantage, its his better suspension and driving ability. OP, i think you should focus more on your suspension if your looking to handle better. I'd pick up used skunk2 coilovers (integra application 10k/8k spring rates) and pair them with your illuminas. You'll feel a big difference in handling and a improvement in the braking department. Also i suggest running the ASR brace with a 21-23mm rear sway. Or you can also go with the mfactory 19mm rear sway setup. Is your eg a SI? If not, get a stock front sway bar setup.

Edited for Clarity...

Modified by bmoua at 3:31 PM 6/18/2008
Old 06-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 2-way alarm now (costed me 600 [freak]ing bucks) That also sends me text messages when the alarm goes off... fuel cut-off switch and im ordering a NRG quick-release hub and wheel here pretty soon... Im sure there's other stuff i could do... But theft isnt a big problem here where I live in Canada. I park my EG on the street every night (i have no driveway or garage) and have never had a problem... other than having it keyed one night and a window smashed another... since i got my alarm no vandalism.

As for tires.. im looking for some new wheels now (17" isnt practical at all...) So when i get some smaller rims i'll look into better tires.

My EG is not an Si... im not sure which exact model it is, but its a 92 with no power options, no sunroof, no A/C.

You would go with some used skunk2 coilovers over the comp tech springs?
Old 06-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Momentum &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

My EG is not an Si... im not sure which exact model it is, but its a 92 with no power options, no sunroof, no A/C.

You would go with some used skunk2 coilovers over the comp tech springs?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Most springs on the market run very soft spring rates. The only real way to improve handling with out breaking the wallet is upgrading to higher spring rates. The best bang for the buck setup i recommend for a DD/track car is the Sk2 slip over coilover/Illumina combo. Ride quality may be a bit rough if your not used to higher spring rates but you get use to it after a while.

I'd def. upgrade to the gsr front sway or eg front sway, you have the gsr front/rear lca's on correct? I'm assuming you do since you did the gsr brake upgrae.

Upgrade your spring rates and try on the stock sway bar the gsr/eg (si) offers. If you like how it handles, keep it that way. If you want more, do the asr brace upgrade with the bigger rear sway in the rear.