Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What DO I NEED to REPLACE for a 60k Tuneup?? EM1

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What DO I NEED to REPLACE for a 60k Tuneup?? EM1

got a 00 em1, and reachin that 60k. and my car feels a bit sluggish now. im plannin to do the tune up myself. what parts do i need? so far i did the spark plugs. someone told me i shoudl replace 02 sensor. any clue where thats located? thanks
Old 03-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What DO I NEED to REPLACE for a 60k Tuneup?? EM1

also im thinkin spark plug wires, is that necessary at right now or no?
Old 03-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Spark plug wires are not that necessary but it wouldnt hurt.

What you definitely want to look into is a new timing belt. 60k miles is about when most cars timing belts need to be changed. But dont take my word for it. Call up your local Honda Dealer and ask around.

Good luck keeping your ride running well!

Sev.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ninety Seven DC2... If im not mistaken most hondas need a new timing belt around 90k . Im almost positive my moms EG says at 95k so I dont think it would drop to 60k area .

at 60k might as well do a full tune up though. take a whole day off, new spark plugs , new wires, new cap if You'd like its only like 20bucks. New air filter change your oil and trans fluid . Check other fluids while your at it. ps,brakes. thats what I just finished doing on my civic but with a bit more on that list.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:35 PM
JHP
Honda-Tech Member

Timing belt change is at 105k
Old 03-20-2009, 09:46 PM

When was the last time you changed your brake pads?

This question could also be answered much more effectively depending if we knew modifications have been done the car

Around the 70k range I did timing belt & water pump along with fuel filter / spark plugs.

Keep your air filter in mind also but that depends if you're running OEM or aftermarket depending on the intervals of mileage that it will require attention.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a whole day, more like 1-2 hours, that if you know were everthing is and how to do it all. thats all easy stuff to do tho

Originally Posted by IP RACING
Ninety Seven DC2... If im not mistaken most hondas need a new timing belt around 90k . Im almost positive my moms EG says at 95k so I dont think it would drop to 60k area .

at 60k might as well do a full tune up though. take a whole day off, new spark plugs , new wires, new cap if You'd like its only like 20bucks. New air filter change your oil and trans fluid . Check other fluids while your at it. ps,brakes. thats what I just finished doing on my civic but with a bit more on that list.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea your right like 2 hours. well whatever a day it is
Old 03-21-2009, 12:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

he doesnt know where the o2 is so im +1 on the whole day!!
Old 03-21-2009, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

theres 2 o2 sensors. one is on the end of the header right before the collector where it mounts to the cat and the second one is on the cat. absolute bitch if you dont have a lift as its like almost on the top of the cat. but there is no need to replace them. unless theres a logical reason to replace them. like a cel. other than that i would leave it alone.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:51 AM
Banned

you should not tune up your car by yourself.you should go to workshop and ask engineers to tune up your car then you can drive your car smoothly.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

whats with you and engineers dude? saw you post on another thread. haha.

anyways. yea timing belt is a chore if you somewhat of a newb.

i say replace plugs and fuel filter. might as well change oil and oil filter while you at it. those seem like good projects for you.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not yet mentioned, what you should also do is change the transmission fluid. EDIT: I see now that someone did already say that. lol

also, flushing your brake lines and clutch line are really easy to do (especially the clutch line) and should be done since hydraulic fluid absorbs moisture over time and becomes less efficient.

a coolant flush wouldn't be a bad idea either. inspect the condition of all the hoses and while you're at it you might replace the thermostat since it's inexpensive and tends to go bad randomly.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 03-21-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

newton's full tune-up list:

plugs
wires
cap
rotor
flush brake fluid(i didnt know but thats recommended every 18months)
trans fluid
fuel filter
fuel system treatment/cleaning(seafoam is amazing)
60k is a bit early for a timing belt. BUT keep it in mind. when you start approaching the 90k mark definitely be thinking about it. if a timing belt breaks, you WILL have a bad day.
power steering flush couldnt hurt but its not really one of those that needs it.
coolant flush is definitely not a bad idea. coolant has stuff in it that prevents the head and block from corroding/rusting. these additives break down over time, which can cause some bad stuff to happen(such as the coolant corroding the head so bad that you can get oil mixed with coolant.) prestone makes a good kit for flushing the cooling system. you cut one of you heater lines and install a T-fitting, you hook up a garden hose to it and leave the radiator cap off, let the engine idle with the heater running for about 15 minutes. if possible use HOT water, this will help release any deposits in the coolant passages. this is also a good way to bleed the system of air pockets. whe ur done, put the cap that comes with the kit on the T-fitting make sure the coolant is at the proper level and you are good to go.

oil and filter
air filter
im not sure how it works exactly on a honda but PCV is a very commonly overlooked thing. if it gets clogged you will get an oil leak. you can fix it then you will probably get an oil leak somewhere else, then somewhere else, and keep getting oil leaks until you fix the PCV.

so thats a pretty good list, an afternoons work.

good luck and ask more questions if you need to
Old 03-21-2009, 07:26 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Whoever told you to replace your O2 sensors during a tune-up is clueless. Don't even consider it. Replacing your spark plug wires/cap is even a bit too much. Why replace something that isn't giving you any trouble? Changing the oil is a good start, check your tire pressures as well. While your car is jacked up, grab each of your tires and move them left/right and up/down to check for any movement in the suspension/steering components.

It's probably a good idea to check your headlight fluid too.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

newtron63. i had mentioned the tranny fluid before you posted it. just fyi
Old 03-21-2009, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get yourself a haynes manual and while your at it print a manual off line too thats made for the EM1...........

Haynes says at 60K
Check engine oil
check coolant (((((safty first let it cool down to the touch of the side of the b16)
check washer fluid
check brake fluid
check tires and tire pressure ((understand the em1 if you have stock everything your tire pressure will be different from front to back something like 35 in the front and 30 in the rear im watching my 6 month old if i wasnt i would tell you. check your driver side door jam))
replace transmission fluid ((honda does not rec. flushs on trans. of the EM1 dont know about other models))
Inspect and change out if necessary all engine drivebelts
rotate tires check front and rear disc brake pads
replace air filter ((if aftermarket one is like K&N get a recharge kit))
inspect fuel system
inspect exhaust system
with the coolent your best bet is to drain, flush and refill
inspect and replace if nes. spark plugs, spark plug wires, rotor and cap.

and just because..... wash your car, get some nice wax, wax it, and wipe down the interior of the car along with vaccuming it.

im just writing what they have put, i prolly missed a few things but trying to help.
and by the way replace the timing belt for every 90,000miles or 72months whichever comes first.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

theres other crazy things like inspect seat belts, and some other things like inspect the suspension and steering components and driveaxle boots

adjust the valve clearances etc.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:29 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by IP RACING
Pulled straight from a '96 civic owners manual:

Maintence Schedule (normal conditions):

Replace timing belt every 90,000 miles (144,000kms) or 72 months (6 years), whichever comes first

Maintence Schedule (severe conditions):

Replace timing belt every 60,000 miles (96,000kms)

So yeah I would replace it, do the water pump at the same time.

Last edited by 94EG8; 03-21-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:39 AM

The owners manual lists what Honda recommends, same can be said for just about every car ever made.

Haynes & Chiltons go by a general rule + extras, they also base their books on brand new cars so they're not much more than a guideline for the order you should snap off rusty bolts in.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Consider doing/having done a valve adjustment as well. Check if any seals are showing wear on your engine, or if anything is leaking around the engine, and replace those seals. Check your CV boots on the axles to make sure they are not ripped or damaged, and if so, replace them as soon as you can so as to not further damage your axles. Not a bad idea to change your fuel filter while you're at it. Check your coolant level, and top up as necessary. When you drain your tranny fluid, check to see that is clean. It may be discolored, but as long as you don't have metal shavings or something else in there, you're golden. I suggest changing the timing belt because it's better safe then sorry. I only say that if you're doing all the work yourself. Why? Because it's cheap to change the belt, and it's not overly difficult to do either. Remember, it is a very good idea to do the water pump at the same time you change the belt. If you're having someone do it for you, then I would wait a while longer just because of the cost, but again, it's your call. A clean air filter goes a long ways too, as well as an oil change if it is close to the time for you to change it. With the oil you obviously need a new oil filter too. Clean your battery posts if they're corroded. Oh, this isn't part of the engine, but check your tire pressure. Poorly inflated tires will make you run a little sluggish too, plus wear your tires unevenly. If your car pulls to one side, get under your car and see if any bushings are overly worn, or if some bolts are loose/seized or showing wear. Take it for an alignment while you're at it too, if it pulls to one side. And as already mentioned, replace your distributor cap, and spark plug wires too (although they shouldn't be in bad shape). You might want to take a look at your brake pads to ensure they're in good shape.

...So on, and so forth. The more you do, probably the better. It doesn't hurt to have everything kept in good shape, but it will all depend on how much you want to spend. If you keep on top of everything, you'll have peace of mind when you take your car out for a bit of a **** kicking. Things can always fail, but there is much less chance of that happening if everything is maintained!

Good luck!
Old 03-21-2009, 11:12 AM

Wow man just chiming in because an EM1 at < 60k is awesome, congrats on that if you're the original owner or even just picked it up from someone.

I think everyone else has already covered it pretty much, good luck!