Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What to do to clean up very bad oil buildup in my valve train?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do to clean up very bad oil buildup in my valve train?

I took my valve cover off to do a valve adjustment and the oil build up was bad. Well bad isn't even the word. There was an 1/8-1/4" oil build up on my rocker arms. I was wondering what kind of chemical i could poor in there to clean it up. I was then going to take off the valve cover and the oil pan and clean it really well and change all of the gaskets. Do i need to use honda bond? Also how hard is it too take of the oil pan? I've never done it before. Every one i talked to says if you have really bad buildup and then clean it if you don't clean the oil pan it will clog the oil pump and the engine wil sieze. What should i do?
Old 10-13-2003, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to do to clean up very bad oil buildup in my valve train? (ramz7887)

Sounds like you may want to change your oil more often as well.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What to do to clean up very bad oil buildup in my valve train? (HXMan)

I think i would rather it be caked on, than loose and running thru the engine.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:05 PM

Default Re: What to do to clean up very bad oil buildup in my valve train? (ramz7887)

Well if I were you I would change my oil a little more often, but when you do use a product called Reslone it works wonders. Just substitute one quart of Reslone for one Quart of oil and use a new filter as always, and the Reslone should clean up the inside of your motor pretty well without hurting it. My dad has used Reslone for years and I have used it for a few years, but only when I get a different car at the first oil change and then I switch back to just all Mobil drive clean or Valvoline. I would try this first before taking apart the motor and cleaning it and having to buy all in gaskets. Well hope this helps.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:30 PM

Default Re: What to do to clean up very bad oil buildup in my valve train? (haccord2.2)

If there is a bit of gunk under valve cover - do you just generally do the old wash and scrub method with water and then let it dry out ? or is there some product to use for underside of valve cover - like a engine cleaner or so - dont want water residue in my motor!
Old 10-15-2003, 09:21 AM

Default Re: What to do to clean up very bad oil buildup in my valve train? (Chemicalviper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chemicalviper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If there is a bit of gunk under valve cover - do you just generally do the old wash and scrub method with water and then let it dry out ? or is there some product to use for underside of valve cover - like a engine cleaner or so - dont want water residue in my motor!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I would NOT use water to do this, I normally use a few clean shop rags and wipe it up real good, and then you can also dip the rags in solvent and wipe it up with that. The solvent will be the best liquid to clean with because it will evaporate. Well hope this helps.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You might want to try some Seafoam, that stuff works really good. You can buy it at nearly any auto parts store. Basically, you pour it in with the oil you have in their now, and run your motor for about 10 to 20 minutes, you will notice a lot of white smoke coming from your exhaust, but that is normal. Then you drain your oil and put in some new stuff, should be very clean....
Old 10-15-2003, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to do to clean up very bad oil buildup in my valve train? (Blue-Civic-Hybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blue-Civic-Hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You might want to try some Seafoam, that stuff works really good. You can buy it at nearly any auto parts store. Basically, you pour it in with the oil you have in their now, and run your motor for about 10 to 20 minutes, you will notice a lot of white smoke coming from your exhaust, but that is normal. Then you drain your oil and put in some new stuff, should be very clean.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Won't i have to take off my oil pan and clean it because all of that buildup will be in there?
Old 10-15-2003, 05:34 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

well...first you'll have to take off your head

then you have one of two choices (IMO):

a) run it through a partswasher
b) dip it in acid
Old 10-15-2003, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ramz7887 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Won't i have to take off my oil pan and clean it because all of that buildup will be in there?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Depends on what the condition is. If you really want it cleaned it will be a job.. you will take off your head then clean it but keep in mind you will need to buy a new head gasket, intakemainfold gasket and find a solvent or partswasher tank..

usually the head will get alot of sump in it so just take a tooth brush and a bag of rags and clean it up the best you can do.. from there just make sure you do regular oil changes every 3 k miles and change the filter..
Now your oil can also be the problem.. I think its penzoil that uses wax based oil inside.. so I perfer castrol GTX or even Mobil Drive clean(non Synthetic)
But dont worry this is a common problem for those that dont do regular oil changes
Old 10-16-2003, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to do to clean up very bad oil buildup in my valve train? (BatuKing)

well i dunno bout cleaning it up but to just put my 2 cents in. on my accord when i needed a new oil pan gasket i had the hardest time 3 gaskets later it don't leak but you gotta use the right silicone and the tor the bolt in a certain sequence and let it sit for 12 hours or so do it forms to the pan then tightn it up to full torque. just seemed liek alot o dunno if u have the tools and stuff to do this but i was just letting ya knwo what i went threw a couple years back