Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What to do with a 98 Civic DX Hatch...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with a 98 Civic DX Hatch...

I am new to the site and wanted to find out what would be the best bang-for-the-buck as far as mods go for my hatch. Basically I am a weekend DIY'fer and really like to work on cars. This is the first honda that I have ever owned...I have had toyotas (corollas gt-s, supras) and fords ('68 stang - currently saving up for body frame work and a 02 supercrew), so I will try anything that makes sense to make the honda go....go fast that is....

Now assume that money is no object (cough..yeah right), what would you do as far as mods...(keep in mind, I am up in the air about being ALL naturally aspirated or go with a turbo..any argument either way would be good to hear)

The only mod that I know for sure is an Apexi World Sport cat-back system. Basically I want a decent flow exhaust, but I don't want anything too loud. Also, I should shoot for a 2.25 diameter piping correct?
Then probably a short ram intake like an AEM or Injen (not really sure).
After that...it is up to you all...

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-23-2004, 05:17 PM

Default Re: What to do with a 98 Civic DX Hatch... (rviray)

the best ting to do is search .. or even better thnx to our hona friend bauleycivic .. at the tippy top of this pag there is a thread you can read to help you on your quest!!
Old 05-23-2004, 05:18 PM

Do a K20 swap into your EK and then post a "How To," when you're finished.

What do you want to do with your car?
Old 05-23-2004, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

*bang for the buck*

drop a k20a in that bitch
helluva BANG mang
Old 05-23-2004, 05:31 PM

I just read the last post by bauleycivic...that is exactly what I was looking for if I wanted to go with naturally aspirated. It seemed simple enough...no head porting, no internal breakdown of the engine...just some plain ole bolt on....

MP7235 - basically the car is a daily driver, with gas prices the way they are, the V8 F150 was killing me...now the screw is the wifes car. Anyway, it's been a few years since I messed around with an import and I couldn't find a toyota to mess with and this Honda was prime... in all, I just want to squeeze out the most HP from the stock engine...now that I am thinking about it...I am leaning towards naturally aspirated...no turbo's yet.

BTW, how much would a k20 swap be (just engine cost..I can probably do the swap myself) and what would be the gain? Just trying to see if it's worth looking at..

Also, what is a "mini-mee"?
Old 05-23-2004, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the type rs are going for 5,500. but you do need other parts to complete the swap.

it would probably cost roughly id say from 5-8,000 depending on whether you get the type S or R.
axles, mounts, harness, mobilizer, fuel lines and other fuel ****, clutch line, header, radiator maybe,

im sure someone can give you a more exact price on each choice. my post is a rough estimate

*a mini me is taking a non vtec d16 or even a d15 bottom, i believe, and putting a d16z6, or vtec SOHC head onto it.

i havnt done taht much research on a mini me. but, how i see it, is its supposed to raise the compression using the sohc vtec head, as well as add vtec.

what are your goals with the civic?
Old 05-23-2004, 06:05 PM

Default Re: What to do with a 98 Civic DX Hatch... (YAYA!)

yaya--- DANG!

Ok...here is my plan...do as much as I can on this engine...in about a year or two, I blow the engine and ask the ole lady for money to do the swap

I was reading the thread about the K20 swap and posted a reply asking for $$$ amount before I read your reply. It didn't seem too bad....(the swap that is)

So, I am looking at
1) keeping my current b16 engine
2) looking at 4-2-1 header setup
3) probably a high flow cat with the Apexi WS catback
4) still probably doing the short ram instead of a CAI

Basically, the car is a daily driver and I just like putzin around with motors. I like speed, but I like to do things methodically...one sure step at a time. In the end (maybe 2-3 years after I buy a car) I have squeezed out all I can from the engine without going turbo/supercharging. Port/polish heads and intake, 2-3 angle valve job, change internals, all that stuff...this honda has alot of potential. It looks like I am going with my old habits and doing the bolt on stuff first and then work on the internals later....bottom line, I like speed...the car can look UGLY as hell, but the engine will purrrrr
Old 05-23-2004, 06:15 PM

Also, since I like speed, I like to break too...I was wondering about suspension and break systems. I was just thinking on getting some cross-drilled rotors for breaking power (still up in the air about brand), and for the suspension, I was thinking about front and back strut bars/tie bars with a sway bar in the rear...that should give me some decent suspension..right...anyone have a suggestion on brand for the strut and sway bar?