Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What To Do

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What To Do

the previous owner broke off about 1-1.5 inches of the shifter shaft. i was thinking of cutting it level and re threading but as you all know the shaft angles a bit...bigger twards the tranny and smaller/slimmer twards the user so it probably wouldnt work with a straight threader...any advise...
Old 10-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: What To Do (Boomboy14)

Either get a new shifter or get a non-treaded, universal shift ****.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What To Do (BlueIntegraBoy)

get a new shifter
Old 10-02-2008, 04:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What To Do (BlueIntegraBoy)

i would personally try re-threading it first. i would think it is worth a try at least, what is the worse that could happen? that sucks though man, lol did you try to punch your radio while shifting into third or something?
Old 10-02-2008, 04:06 PM

short shifter time! It would take more effort and money to fix than to just buy a new shifter; I wouldn't waste your time trying to fix it. just my 2 cents...
Old 10-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

short shifter
Old 10-02-2008, 04:49 PM

Default Re: What To Do (davken1102)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by davken1102 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">short shifter time! It would take more effort and money to fix than to just buy a new shifter; I wouldn't waste your time trying to fix it. just my 2 cents...</TD></TR></TABLE>

how long does it really take to thread something... it probally takes longer to get the tool.

plus short shifters are junk, our transmissions definately were not made to be banged into gears that hard. its just some bling. stock works just fine in my opinion. plus i am sure you could find a threading kit that will most likely come in hand at another time for less then a good short throw, not that ebay junk.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What To Do (dividedas1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dividedas1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how long does it really take to thread something... it probally takes longer to get the tool.

plus short shifters are junk, our transmissions definately were not made to be banged into gears that hard. its just some bling. stock works just fine in my opinion. plus i am sure you could find a threading kit that will most likely come in hand at another time for less then a good short throw, not that ebay junk.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree 100%. Short shifters are the death of Honda transmissions even though I have a Skunk2 on mine that will soon be coming off. Buy an OEM one.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dividedas1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

plus short shifters are junk, our transmissions definately were not made to be banged into gears that hard. its just some bling. stock works just fine in my opinion. plus i am sure you could find a threading kit that will most likely come in hand at another time for less then a good short throw, not that ebay junk.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I use a del sol shifter and they're shorter than a stock civic..
and yea it would take a long time since the stock shifter gets larger as you go down towards the pivot ball. that means he would need to make the length of the shifter he plans on running the die down all the same diameter. you can't run a threading die down bar stock that increases in diameter as you go down the length of bar stock. not to mention the factory bend in the shifter. go get a del sol shifter!

PS- your shifter shouldn't change the way you shift. it simply makes the "throw" shorter. If you banging your tranny into gears... its your driving that needs conrrection.

Modified by davken1102 at 9:47 PM 10/2/2008
Old 10-02-2008, 08:11 PM

Default Re: What To Do (JDM EJ2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM EJ2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I agree 100%. Short shifters are the death of Honda transmissions even though I have a Skunk2 on mine that will soon be coming off. Buy an OEM one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thank you... and people wonder why is so damn hard to find a clean trans these days.

my 2 cents on short throws is that it makes the shifting more notchy then a stock shifter, and it also makes it alot easier to want to bang gears because it takes less time to actually shift.

i don't think they are completely bad. if you have a light fly wheel they are somewhat beneficial because you can shift faster while your revs drop faster. and i am sure if you had some work done to the trans it would be able to take the abuse. but short shifters on stock cars is all about being able to show all the kids at wendys (or what ever fastfood restaurant) how ballin' you are... gay

if you need a new shifter buy OEM, spend the time goto a junkyard or two, even look in the marketplace. i bet it will be cheaper and your transmission will thank you with a nice longer life :-)
Old 10-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly... i think ignorant honda drivers on the road thinking they can hit vtec whenever they want are the ones who mess up the transmissions. dont blame a car part for messing up the tranny, blame the driver. Also, even if you get a oem shifter from another car, will there be a significant difference? you might as well stick with the stock one you have in your car if you're going to get a oem one from another honda. its kind of like saying its better to get a oem exhaust system from a del sol to my eg instead of a apexi ws2.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, I don't think in the couple months I have had my car that I've engaged vtec once.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:52 PM

Default Re: What To Do (redlinexd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redlinexd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">honestly... i think ignorant honda drivers on the road thinking they can hit vtec whenever they want are the ones who mess up the transmissions. dont blame a car part for messing up the tranny, blame the driver. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree stupid people slamming gears alot faster then they should because it shifts faster with a short throw... all i am trying to say is its easier to mess up the tranny with a short throw then it would be with an OEM shifter.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redlinexd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its kind of like saying its better to get a oem exhaust system from a del sol to my eg instead of a apexi ws2. </TD></TR></TABLE>

no that's not like saying that at all. your a dumb ***... a short throw shifter is going to give you as much performance as say an exhaust would. that's probally the dumbest thing i have heard all day. your done
Old 10-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

umm, did u get what i was saying? you are saying the oem shifter is better than an aftermarket one. so you think oem is better than aftermarket? smart one. i know people who drive cars with a short shifter for years and never replaced the tranny or even went back with the stock one.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

circular argument... of course an incapable driver having the capability to shift measurably faster is going to have a higher chance of cooking his trans.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:31 PM

+
Old 10-04-2008, 05:38 PM

Default Re: What To Do (labtec2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by labtec2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
+
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do it........ burp
Old 10-04-2008, 11:38 PM

Default Re: (redlinexd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redlinexd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">umm, did u get what i was saying? you are saying the oem shifter is better than an aftermarket one. so you think oem is better than aftermarket? smart one. i know people who drive cars with a short shifter for years and never replaced the tranny or even went back with the stock one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh i got what you are saying, but truth is short throw shifters = bling. unless you are driving a heavily modified car (i dont mean i/h/e) but like a 400+ hp car that you need to shift real fast to keep it within its RPM band they are POINTLESS, other then bling of course.

and i said your a dumb *** because you compared changing out your shifter for an aftermarket one to swapping a stock exhaust to an aftermarket one. that was stupid, very stupid. i guess all the kids at wendy's are right when they say a short throw adds like 15 hp.

and to labtec haha that would be pimp lol. hustlin' while driving. but seriously lol i am sure he could easy out the rest of his shifter from his old shift **** lol. i think he is just trying to figure out the best way to fix the shifter.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ8_Enthusiast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">circular argument... of course an incapable driver having the capability to shift measurably faster is going to have a higher chance of cooking his trans. </TD></TR></TABLE>

especially on a daily driver, where you are shifting all day no body drives perfect all the time.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redlinexd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">umm, did u get what i was saying? you are saying the oem shifter is better than an aftermarket one. so you think oem is better than aftermarket? smart one. i know people who drive cars with a short shifter for years and never replaced the tranny or even went back with the stock one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

His OEM shifter broke. People were telling him to get a short shifter, and he said he'd rather get an OEM one because it won't wear the tranny out as much.

Reading &gt; you
Old 10-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sde780)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sde780 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

His OEM shifter broke. People were telling him to get a short shifter, and he said he'd rather get an OEM one because it won't wear the tranny out as much.

Reading &gt; you</TD></TR></TABLE>

umm did u read? because the dude that has a broken shifter is Boomboy14, he didnt say anything about getting a oem one, in fact he didnt even reply to anyone in the topic. only 2 people are tellin him to get a short shifter, and the rest are pretty much telling him to get a oem one..
+ = sde780
Old 10-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redlinexd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

umm did u read? because the dude that has a broken shifter is Boomboy14, he didnt say anything about getting a oem one, in fact he didnt even reply to anyone in the topic. only 2 people are tellin him to get a short shifter, and the rest are pretty much telling him to get a oem one..
+ = sde780
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I fail'd

My apologies
Old 10-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a short fhifter dos not give you shorter shifts it just feels like it dos. the shorter the throw feels to driver is actually longer on the tranny side , they do make shifters that are really tall and thats what u want if u wnt short shifts more motion to get to next gear is what it feels like for u but less travel while actually changing gears. btw get oem
Old 10-05-2008, 09:03 PM

Default Re: (civic2489)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic2489 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a short fhifter dos not give you shorter shifts it just feels like it dos. the shorter the throw feels to driver is actually longer on the tranny side , they do make shifters that are really tall and thats what u want if u wnt short shifts more motion to get to next gear is what it feels like for u but less travel while actually changing gears. btw get oem</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly... reaching for a shifter that's like a little stub is pretty annoying when you are trying to shift fast...
Old 10-05-2008, 11:39 PM

Default Re: (dividedas1)

wow.. this arguement sapped my intelligence.

its a simple preferance neither is better. they give the driver a certain feel honestly the time it takes to shift is reduced so little by a short shifter that it really doesnt effect you from a performance standpoint its all about comfort. and if it really changed your time at all youd lose it by having to reach the extra two inches from the wheel.

and op, just go to te junkyard and pull one there extremely cheap dont waste your time threading it and then having a sketchy oem one not worth your trouble.

and if you have taken any of the fight into consideration may i add my oppinion by saying go drive a freinds car with a short throw and compare it to your oem before comiting to buying one.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK, lets think about this for a second. If you have a short throw shifter on the car, you are putting more work into each shift. That is due to their being less of a throw and the shifter doing the same work. If it takes, (random number here,) 5 Lbs. of pressure to move the transmission from gear to gear, and your OEM shifter has a 5 inch throw, it is equivalent to 1 lb. of pressure per inch moved correct? If your short throw shifter reduces throw by 50% (random number,) then your new throw is 2.5 inches for that 5 Lbs. of pressure. Now it is working just as hard in a shorter distance. I think this would put more wear and work into each shift. I might be wrong but that is my reasoning to it...

Quick Reply: What To Do