Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

WHAT DID I DO?! overheated at idle, puddle under drive belts, steam @ alternator area

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT DID I DO?! overheated at idle, puddle under drive belts, steam @ alternator area

So I knew it was low on coolant cause the heat wasn't working.
I started it and ran inside, then forgot about it for 20 minutes.

Came back out and it was on RED, with a puddle dripping underneath the drive belts.

Steam was blowing out in the area behind the alternator, near the big coolant pipe running along the rear of the engine.

Did I blow a heat gasket? Water pump seal? Coolant pipe seal?

What's my next move? I shut the engine off and have let it cool for about a half hour.

I forgot to report back on this: It was a hose going from the heater valve to some plug near the water pump that blew. I replaced the five dollar hose and was golden.

Last edited by willpower102; 01-22-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:02 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: WHAT DID I DO?! overheated at idle, puddle under drive belts, steam @ alternator

Water pump is gone. Maybe the engine too.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WHAT DID I DO?! overheated at idle, puddle under drive belts, steam @ alternator

kk, filled it with hot water and started it, got up to about mid way on temp gauge, no knocking or anything, however the coolant level didn't drop, and most importantly, the A/C wasn't even blowing warm.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:26 PM
The Grumpiest

Why would the A/C blow warm? That makes not sense to me. Chances are you still did some damage that will probably show itself later on. And if you continue to drive it with water in the rad you'll have other problems.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A/C = Air conditioning.
A/C != Explicitly cold.
With the A/C set to Heat, it should blow hot if if the water pump it working.

I do not think having water in it right now will matter much since it's un-drivable and will be have to be drained out when we change the timing belt and water pump.

I'm definitely interested in what other problems this could have caused that will show themselves in the future. More specifics on what to look for would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-29-2011, 12:41 PM
The Grumpiest

Air conditioning and heat are 2 different things. You're talking about the climate controls. They handle both A/C 7 heat. A/C always blows cold. I've NEVER seen an add for a car that says "A/C blows hot air."

Good luck with your car. Pray you got lucky.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Is coolent and oil mixing?
White smoke coming from the exhuast?

Next time if you know your low on coolent don't start the car!
Old 01-29-2011, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thermo gauge wont work properly with out sufficient coolant in the system. Menaing that if it is low you can have really hot engine and it will not register as hot. Also with out the coolant the heater wont work, it works by passing air over the hot coolant and then blowing it into the cabin.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Air conditioning and heat are 2 different things. You're talking about the climate controls. They handle both A/C 7 heat. A/C always blows cold. I've NEVER seen an add for a car that says "A/C blows hot air."
A/C is air conditioner, not air cooler. The function that allows it to cool the air also removes moisture from it. The compressor will run with the heat on which defrosts the car much more effectively. That's why most cars will turn the A/C on when set to the defrost setting.

To the OP... If it overheated and you're also not getting heat it would most likely be the water pump or thermostat.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:36 PM
The Grumpiest

Didn't I say conditioner?
Old 01-29-2011, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Didn't I say conditioner?
Yes, I was just pointing out the fact it's called a conditioner because it does more than just cool the air in the summer and does in fact have a purpose when the heat is on.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the input, sorry about the nitpicking about a/c I think you're right considering HVAC

Anyway, I understand I won't have heat if it's low, I'm more concerned about the car bellowing steam out from behind my alternator when it overheated. It was blowing in this direction [pic] http://min.us/mvjBdRw

My friend said he thought there was a weep hole back there? it looked like it was coming from around the black metal pipe going from the water pump to the thermostat. I also just changed the thermostat a month ago when the lines froze to slush because of a less than 50/50 mix.

No exhaust steam, no oil mixing, no bubbling coolant.
in general no signs of head gasket failure.
But where would the steam have come from?

{not my car}
Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2011, 07:28 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Water pump does have a weep hole, maybe have been coming from there, that pipe running from the thermostat to the water pump could have split if the water froze. heater hose might have a small cut or pinhole in it.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so here's a question: If I grab a pressurizer from the parts store this afternoon, pump it up, then try and locate the leak, what is going to be the best way to find it?
Old 02-04-2011, 02:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when you try to start your car with water frozen in it, the water pump saves the motor by kamakaziing itself and water pours(or drips out) of one or both wheep holes. in my case i couldnt afford a new water pump so i rtv'd screws in the wheep holes and buttoned it up till i could afford a new one. sounds like thats what your problem is here. heater wont blow warm cuz its constantly getting air bubbles in your coolant
Old 02-04-2011, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if your temp gauge was on hot, well it was over heating, but it also means that there was still sufficient water in the engine, as the temp sender is in the cylinder head. now it sounds like the water pump is shot along with a mixture of the o rings on the water outlet tube on the back of the motor. might as well replace the headgasket anyway cause your never gonna get that tube out without removing the cylinder head anyway. and make sure you check the radiator and cap for damage also.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my guess is a defective water pump. other issues that could come up in the future would be head gasket failure radiator and heater core failure and possible bottom end damage as long as the engine didnt run to long in the red you should be ok as far as the engine damage goes. also how long was the coolant frozen? this could have cracked a heater core line or possibly a coolant hose i dont remember if there are any plastic coolant hoses on the back of a b16 but thats something i would look into i would recommend pressurizing the cooling system with a cooling system pressure tester can be purchased at many parts stores pepboys, autozone or harbor freight. pressurize the cooling system and check for leaks with the cooling system cold it will come out as a stream of coolant or a stream of air more then likely it will be a mix of coolant and air but it will be easier to find then a steam leak form hot coolant fixing with cold air. good luck with repair.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So weird -- I'm searching on google for
site:honda-tech.com antifreeze leaking from belts cold
And I come across my own post.

I forgot to report back on this: It was a hose going from the heater valve to some plug near the water pump that blew. I replaced the five dollar hose and was golden.

HOWEVER... I just ran into another problem.

Originally Posted by hmt_eg
when you try to start your car with water frozen in it, the water pump saves the motor by kamakaziing itself and water pours(or drips out) of one or both wheep holes. in my case i couldnt afford a new water pump so i rtv'd screws in the wheep holes and buttoned it up till i could afford a new one. sounds like thats what your problem is here. heater wont blow warm cuz its constantly getting air bubbles in your coolant
The above may help me, does the water pump always take one for the team?

I believe I have less than 50/50 more like 75/25 mix, and it got down to 18 this morning.
I went to start my car and it cranked like a slug.
I backed off the key, but my car likes to start after only 2 turns. So it did, and it sounded bad.
Lots of loud noises for about 5 seconds and then the engine smoothed out.
But there was a loud "PUFF" sound, and now coolant is leaking from the water pump area and the idle is surging. I'm hoping another hose just went, but god forbid the water pump broke in this weather

Last edited by willpower102; 01-22-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not run that car until you can get that waterpump replaced

and what do you mean by "Lots of loud noises for about 5 seconds and then the engine smoothed out." like metal on metal sound screeching what
Old 01-22-2013, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lizardslap
I would not run that car until you can get that waterpump replaced

and what do you mean by "Lots of loud noises for about 5 seconds and then the engine smoothed out." like metal on metal sound screeching what
It was probably more like 2-3 seconds. Just while the engine was trying to start and at first when it started. I'm not entirely sure what it sounded like because it was so fast. I don't think it was a screeching.

I think it's a good idea to determine if the water pump is running before I spend money on it don't you?