Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what did i do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what did i do?

Hey whats up. I just did a timing belt/pump/tensioner on my 1997 honda civic hx. It has poser steering and the hoses where just long enough that I could set the pump aside without disconecting the hoses. now I got everything together and my car sounds like a ford! The power steering now has a hum to it. It has plenty of oil in the resevoir, no leaks, and I have turned the wheels lock to lock with the engine running several times. What happened? I am confused because it didn't hum before and I never disconected any of the hoses.
thanks,
robert
Old 05-28-2007, 08:36 AM

It could be a possibility the pump is humming because it is still working bubbles out of the system from when you disconected the hoses.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: what did i do? (hall97civic)

Try adjusting the pump belt. Could be that theres to much tension on the pump.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vtecftw)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecftw &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It could be a possibility the pump is humming because it is still working bubbles out of the system from when you disconected the hoses.</TD></TR></TABLE>
<U>read my whole entire op you tard!</U>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try adjusting the pump belt. Could be that theres to much tension on the pump. </TD></TR></TABLE>
and thanks for the suggestions, but I already tried it. i used my ratchet to pull on it to get it super tight, no change, and then had it pretty loose and still no change. Now it is as tight as it should be and still the same.
thanks, any more suggestions anyone?
Old 05-28-2007, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (hall97civic)

When you turn the wheel does the hum noise change? How sure are you its the pump and not the timing belt?
Old 05-28-2007, 08:41 AM

just cause it does not leak, does not mean there is no leak. it will only leak under pressure, but what about the line the pump sucks fluid from. if there is a bad clamp or tiny hole in that hose the pump will suck air and cause it hum from air in the system. it is possible from moving the pump and bottle aside that you disturbed a clamp or the hose.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what did i do? (abusedhusband)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by abusedhusband &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just cause it does not leak, does not mean there is no leak. it will only leak under pressure, but what about the line the pump sucks fluid from. if there is a bad clamp or tiny hole in that hose the pump will suck air and cause it hum from air in the system. it is possible from moving the pump and bottle aside that you disturbed a clamp or the hose.</TD></TR></TABLE>
thanks, will look on the 'feed' side hose on the pump later today, kind of busy right now. I thought that it was the timing belt/new tensioner at first until i really got ack under the hood and looked around. The sound changes only because the rpms drop a little bit, but still hums while turning the wheels.
later.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hall97civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
thanks, will look on the 'feed' side hose on the pump later today, kind of busy right now. I thought that it was the timing belt/new tensioner at first until i really got ack under the hood and looked around. The sound changes only because the rpms drop a little bit, but still hums while turning the wheels.
later.</TD></TR></TABLE>

just curious have you checked your t-belt is not too tight if so it will make your car hum or sound like it has a super charger lol i would also make sure it is not too tight
Old 05-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what did i do? (richard7968)

I tightened per what the honda service book said. It has a spring that automaically adjusts the tension when you loosen the tensioner. The book said to lossen the tensioner (3/4 of a turn?), turn the engine over six revolutions, then tighten the tensioner bolt up to (I think 33 ft. lbs.). So that is what I did. I checked the hoses for the powersteering pump and they seem alright. I had my friend that is a certified mechanic come and look at in just now and he thinks that it is just the new timing belt 'breaking in' and said just drive it for a little while and if it gets worse to checks everything over. So I guess that I'll just have to turn my system up just a bit and drive it for awhile.
thanks
Old 05-28-2007, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hall97civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I tightened per what the honda service book said. It has a spring that automaically adjusts the tension when you loosen the tensioner. The book said to lossen the tensioner (3/4 of a turn?), turn the engine over six revolutions, then tighten the tensioner bolt up to (I think 33 ft. lbs.). So that is what I did. I checked the hoses for the powersteering pump and they seem alright. I had my friend that is a certified mechanic come and look at in just now and he thinks that it is just the new timing belt 'breaking in' and said just drive it for a little while and if it gets worse to checks everything over. So I guess that I'll just have to turn my system up just a bit and drive it for awhile.
thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

omg do not listen too that certified f**k up

pm'd
Old 06-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what did i do? (richard7968)

incase any of you were curious, the humming noise is the idler/tensioner pully for the ac. I guess that I fucked up the bearing while I did my t-belt change. So I guess that I have to wait until I have money again to buy one unless one of you guys have one laying around.
later