Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what is the definition of a spun rod

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the definition of a spun rod

i here a knocking noise and my friend said it was a spun rod bearing. how does this effect the way a motor runs. been looking for pics or writeup with no luck. thanx
Old 06-24-2006, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it means the rod bearings or main bearings are bad. chances are the motor is useless.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:31 PM
NooB

Default Re: (schardbody)

just change the crank and new bearings.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:50 PM

what is happening inside the motor if a rod bearing is bad. is the rod loose on the crank? can this sound travel to the head making it seem as if something in the head is bad?
Old 06-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what's happening inside the motor is the bearing that connects the piston the crankshaft burns out and the piston gets all fucky and usually ***** the crankshaft and the piston and if ur lucky it won't sieze the piston and then u'll really expletive things up by throwing a rod or something (w/o the bearing oil doesn't get in there)

I doubt it's a spun bearing actually, the way u describe it coming from the head, the spun bearing sound is more from deep in the block, what I think you might be hearing is the valves..you might wanna check ur valve lash and make sure it's aight..
Old 06-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what's happening inside the motor is the bearing that connects the piston the crankshaft burns out and the piston gets all fucky and usually ***** the crankshaft and the piston and if ur lucky it won't sieze the piston and then u'll really expletive things up by throwing a rod or something (w/o the bearing oil doesn't get in there)

I doubt it's a spun bearing actually, the way u describe it coming from the head, the spun bearing sound is more from deep in the block, what I think you might be hearing is the valves..you might wanna check ur valve lash and make sure it's aight..</TD></TR></TABLE>

BWAHAHA, bambi killer strikes again. bearings that connect the pistons to the crank, hahah, thats good **** there. new sig buddy.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:15 PM

i just adjusted the valve lash last week and i still hear it. i will do a compression test this week. my car is not reving fast when im in gear and im losing power. thank you guys for your imput. every little bit helps
Old 06-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what's happening inside the motor is the bearing that connects the piston the crankshaft burns out and the piston gets all fucky and usually ***** the crankshaft and the piston and if ur lucky it won't sieze the piston and then u'll really expletive things up by throwing a rod or something (w/o the bearing oil doesn't get in there)

I doubt it's a spun bearing actually, the way u describe it coming from the head, the spun bearing sound is more from deep in the block, what I think you might be hearing is the valves..you might wanna check ur valve lash and make sure it's aight..</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahahahaha amazing

rod bearing: its a thin piece of metal that goes on bottom of a connecting rod to fill the gap between the rod and the crankshaft. its designed to give a perfectly spaced distance for oil to fill so you get a smooth lubricated surface.

with a bad rod bearing the space between the crank and bearing is too great and the crank is actually rubbing on the bearing causing score marks much like this, also can cause a ton of noise.

if you have a spun bearing you basically have low oil coverage and possibly pressure. it can just be localized to 1 rod/bearing BUT in severe cases the 1 failure can cause a low oil pressure problem and actually wind up causing damage to the other bearings.

if you catch the failure early enough you can usually save the engine, but if you drive with a spun bearing for long you can damage the crankshaft irrepairably or even put a hole in the block from severe failure

i hope that helped
Old 06-24-2006, 09:21 PM

Default Re: (Kamin)

kamin, you are what makes h-t great. nothing better than pics with tech support. can i take off my oil pan and see a bad bearing or do i have to take each rod cap off? can i resurface scratches in my crank with the crank in the block if they arent bad. do i have to pull motor? thanx
Old 06-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (schardbody)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

BWAHAHA, bambi killer strikes again. bearings that connect the pistons to the crank, hahah, thats good **** there. new sig buddy. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ah go ƒuck urself, I got my point accross, whether the definition sucked or not...