Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What are consider illegal modifications?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: What are consider illegal modifications?

Originally Posted by BobbyRodriguez
Any...... No serious any mod is automatically illegal. Head lights have to be so high off the ground, and that's just a simple rule, don't get into turbos and ect...
Really? So putting a cd player in my car is illegal?
Technically, that is a modification

If any mod is automatically illegal, please explain why I haven't received thousands of dollars in tickets?
Old 03-20-2012, 06:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any...... No serious any mod is automatically illegal. Head lights have to be so high off the ground, and that's just a simple rule, don't get into turbos and ect...
Yay for more misinformation! Turbos can be completely legal, as long as you do it right.

How about this. If anyone can't cite the code stating that something is illegal, don't tell us it is. State and federal code are obscenely easy to find online. I have a full copy of VA state code, including inspection code, downloaded, and it took me all of 15 minutes to find it when I wanted it.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
Yay for more misinformation! Turbos can be completely legal, as long as you do it right..
Indeed.

by far the hardest state to legally modify a car is california, some turbo kits are even legal there.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as long as you aren't an idiot the cops here don't care.

HIDs are illegal outside of projectors. inside projectors they are legal. IIRC.

depending on what you do to your exhaust it could be illegal. removing the cat for example is actually federally(I believe) illegal. along with any emissions system part.

in the end though google the laws and code for WA. then you'll know everything for where you are.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

How about this. If anyone can't cite the code stating that something is illegal, don't tell us it is.
HID laws vary from state to state.

Seriously, OP, take 10 minutes and go find your state's Code regarding vehicles and modifications. When you get a ticket for an illegal muffler, "But the guys on honda-tech said it was legal!" isn't going to **** in court.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe this is federal law, HIDs are illegal if they didn't come in the car from the factory. A newer car factory equipped with HIDs, legal. A 1990s Civic, no.
Here, the law states that no modification is allowed that makes the car louder, however I don't have a cat and have an aftermarket catback exhaust. I don't get pulled over because it's quiet though. Louder than stock, but still perfectly tolerable where you can have a normal conversation in the car with the windows down while driving.

Emissions, totally depends where you go. We don't have emissions testing.

Height, we have slammed Hondas and lifted trucks on the road.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by Red_Army
as long as you aren't an idiot the cops here don't care.

HIDs are illegal outside of projectors. inside projectors they are legal. IIRC.

depending on what you do to your exhaust it could be illegal. removing the cat for example is actually federally(I believe) illegal. along with any emissions system part.

in the end though google the laws and code for WA. then you'll know everything for where you are.
It has to come on the car from factory, Even though a retrofit can use all OEM parts, it's still not legal beucase the car didn't come like that.

For example, in cali if you pull the cat and are caught it's a $1000+ ticket. I don't remember the exact number, but it's close to that.

I am not sure how it is other places, and in WA where I live, but it's not legal in any way shape of form to remove a cat. Even selling a used cat is illegal.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got pulled over for not having a front plate,told him i was trying to cut weight, 20 buck fix ticket haha
Old 03-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by Hondasarekewl
i got pulled over for not having a front plate,told him i was trying to cut weight, 20 buck fix ticket haha
I got pulled over for the same thing. lol

$124, not a fix it ticket. ****er.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 03-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crzycivic93
ttt
Old 03-21-2012, 01:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The RCW says that the exhaust/muffler can't be modified to be louder than stock. So you can technically have a custom high flow system that's quiet. Or at least not much louder than stock. What a lot of people do is use a stock looking exhaust tip. Hondas didn't come with a 4" burnt titanium tip lol
Old 03-21-2012, 01:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx

I got pulled over for being "too low" the cop measured the distance from the ground to the center of my headlight. I was at 17" (legal is 22".) He said if wasn't nice he could impound my car for it.
How the hell was your car lowered five inches below the legal limit
I think the cop was pullin' your pud dude

I'm a vehicle inspector in Texas, and as long as your vehicle passes emissions, along with no leaking steering or brake system, all lights/wipers work, you're legal.
But as Grumblemarc stated, it doesn't help the OP much to give area-specific info if he isn't there
XP
Old 03-21-2012, 01:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I run an asbestos-wrapped open lead downpipe with a 150 shot of anhydrous hydrazine.

And Skunk2 muffler (w/a very small hole)

Never got a ticket.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:59 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Texas4door

I'm a vehicle inspector in Texas, and as long as your vehicle passes emissions, along with no leaking steering or brake system, all lights/wipers work, you're legal.
But as Grumblemarc stated, it doesn't help the OP much to give area-specific info if he isn't there
XP
There's a difference between "inspection legal" and legal. Do my HID's pass inspection? Yes. Are they technically legal? No. Does a rice can, eBay muffler pass inspection? Sure. Is it legal in most states? No.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:14 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

How about this. Instead of all of this supposition and guessing with absolutely zero evidence to back anything up, http://www.municode.com/Library. Select your locale, and find out for yourself what's legal and what isn't. 10 minutes of reading, and I've already discovered a few things that I was incorrect about. Time to start looking at some new mufflers!
Old 03-21-2012, 04:24 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

^^^First CONCRETE thing anyone has offered up in this thread past "muh boi beat his ticket".
Old 03-21-2012, 04:45 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Also worth mentioning, and to keep anyone from not FULLY reading...

At the top of every section vehicle-related, there is usually a section similar to this.

Pursuant to the authority of Code of Virginia, sections 46.2-1300 and 46.2-1313, all of the provisions and requirements of the state set forth within the following provisions of the Code of Virginia, are hereby adopted, mutatis mutandis, and incorporated by reference, as if set forth herein verbatim, except those provisions and requirements which, by their very nature, can have no application to or within the city:
(1)
Title 46.2, in its entirety;
(2)
Title 18.2, Chapter 7, Article 2 (§ 18.2-266 et seq.), in its entirety; and
(3)
Title 16.1, Chapter 11, Article 9 (§ 16.1-278 et seq.), in its entirety.
The above-referenced provisions refer to those in effect on the effective date of this ordinance and to any future amendments to those provisions, and to successor titles, chapters, articles and sections as they may become effective.

(b)
Any references to "highway" or to "highways of the state" contained in any of the above-referenced state code provisions shall be deemed to refer to the entire width between the boundary lines of every way or place open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel within the City of Charlottesville.
The TL;DR version is this: Everything in this section applies, and so does everything else the state says. Break a state law, and the locality (city or county) will also enforce it.

For example. Charlottesville city code states that no passenger vehicle may emit more than 76 dBA at 35MPH, and no more than 86 at 70MPH. Awesome, I can go get a loud muffler, right? Wrong.

State code says the following.

It shall be unlawful for any person to operate on the highways in the Commonwealth a motor vehicle, moped, or motorized skateboard or scooter equipped with a gutted muffler, muffler cutout, or straight exhaust.
It shall be unlawful for any person to operate on the highways in the Commonwealth a motor vehicle, as described in this section, equipped with any emission control system or device unless it is of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use upon the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment.
There might be three people who regularly visit this section of the forums who is mentally capable of talking about the LAW when it comes to our cars. Until you read it in the state code, it doesn't matter what your "bro" told you. It doesn't even matter what a cop tells you. Find your city and state code. Read it. Learn it. Know it.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:28 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

No one wants to touch the subject on headlight hight tho. cd players and turbo's come on factory cars, not hondas. Ask any cop about a cat being removed , for smog states or not.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:31 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No one wants to touch the subject on headlight hight tho. cd players and turbo's come on factory cars, not hondas. Ask any cop about a cat being removed , for smog states or not.
Just. Shut. Up. Your ignorance is blinding me.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In central ohio what gets you pulled over the fastest is no front tag, and driving with undercarriage neons on. Never heard any of my friends being pulled over for exhaust issues. We don't have emmisions testing btw.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:35 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Catalytic converters are FEDERALLY required. Read my last post and make the connection.

Originally Posted by delsoltech
In central ohio what gets you pulled over the fastest is no front tag, and driving with undercarriage neons on. Never heard any of my friends being pulled over for exhaust issues. We don't have emmisions testing btw.
Once again, read my last post. Different states, different laws.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:36 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well my brothers uncles sister told me that a tire is like a wheel and if it brakes i can go to jail...
Name:  RHrLj.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  47.1 KB
Old 03-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by Texas4door

XP
Quite easily actually. For one, I was runing just a 8'' coilover spring in front. You couldn't put a pop can on it's side under my bumper. Which is quite low.

Seondly, roads here have a crown in them in here. If you measure both sides of the car, both would have had different measurements. Was he ****ing with me? It's possible, but, my car was that
low... I was in the road when I got pulled over. I had to stop in the road, there was no where else I could go.

It's not hard to get these cars low.

Well it's about time BobbyRodriguez gets banned.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Master Detailer

How about this. Instead of all of this supposition and guessing with absolutely zero evidence to back anything up, http://www.municode.com/Library. Select your locale, and find out for yourself what's legal and what isn't. 10 minutes of reading, and I've already discovered a few things that I was incorrect about. Time to start looking at some new mufflers!
I just learned somethings I am glad I did.

EVERYONE should check this out.

Quick Reply: What are consider illegal modifications?