Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What are consider illegal modifications?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are consider illegal modifications?

I am tired of being harassed by the police, so now im trying to make my ride legit as possible.

I've been doing some research and these what i found out so far are illegal in WA i know different states very.

Aftermarket exhaust.
Vehicle lowered below bottom portion of the rim..?
HID's i guess you have to rock the stock white bulb.

correct me if i'm wrong, i like some input if you guys can. i wanna make my ride legit as possible, thanks.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are consider illegal modifications?

and I've heard yellow fogs are illegal too?
Old 03-20-2012, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and clean civics period lol
Old 03-20-2012, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anything that honda did not install from the factory is illegal, from headlights to engine mods, exhaust, suspension, and window tint
Old 03-20-2012, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven not 'stock' honda's for almost 10 yrs in WA and never...not once...have I been 'harassed' by the police. Are you drawing attention to yourself by driving around town like a kid in a honda who thinks its a racecar? Cause that will get you the un-wanted attention from the po-po's for sure.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:23 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Depends on where you live and how you drive/attract attention to yourself.

This isn't a tech question.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Every state and even different counties in a state have different laws about what is "street legal". Best thing to do is read up on the laws. Any performance parts that are not 50 state BAR approved are not legal. Where I live the law does not care. I have a 98 civic with Ebay header, intake custom exhaust, LS Vtec and OBD1 conversion none of this would be legal in cali but I passed emissions a few months ago no issues. Point is it just depends and know the laws.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by YungHeatJDM
and I've heard yellow fogs are illegal too?
Yellow fogs are legal, yellow headlights are illegal. Here, and many other states anyways.

Yes, HID's are illegal, but depepnding on your state, and how bad they will play a roll in if you get stopped. Color is most important factor though, i've never been stopped with white HID's, but cops will give you **** for blue. (again, in most states)

Every state is different, in WA, you are legally not allowed to modify the exhuast at all. But, unless you rock a catless spec2, you should be ok. Unless, your really loud, and driving like a **** head.

I got pulled over for being "too low" the cop measured the distance from the ground to the center of my headlight. I was at 17" (legal is 22".) He said if wasn't nice he could impound my car for it.

Last edited by 98civdx; 03-20-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98civdx
I got pulled over for being "too low" the cop measured the distance from the ground to the center of my light. I was at 17" (legal is 22".) He said if wasn't nice he could impound my car for it.
What light?
Old 03-20-2012, 08:50 AM
The Grumpiest

Headlight.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:03 AM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by Kohen
What light?
Headlight, post edited.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh okay. Any idea why they would care about being "too low"?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:25 AM
The Grumpiest

Because it's illegal in a lot of places.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It all depends on state and how you drive, as stated above.

If your state has Smog/emissions tests, I wouldn't even bother with exhaust.

As far as ride hight, My 240 was bangin frame(not litterally), and I never once got pulled for ride height.

Hid's are everyones enemy, there basically like having flashing red and blue lights, cops loooooooove to pull you over for it.

Here in ohio, We dont have smog/emissions (not in my city atleast), but we have noise ordinance...and most of the time, cops don't care, as long as your not driving like a punk. My 240 had Boso pipes, no cat, and was full 3inch....Never once got stopped. Just don't be that guy with the loud exhaust that has to let EVERYONE know about it.

They also don't give a **** about ride hight, unless your throwing sparks from dragging everything. Although I've seen the "rednecks" get pulled over for being too high. That's always funny.

Everyone gets pulled over for HID's...its going to happen. In Ohio anything under 12k is still legal, but youll still get pulled over and ticketed. Never cars come factory with HID lighting. Reguardless, your driving an Import, cops think your name is Dominic Toretto, youll get stopped... If it happens, fight that ****. Youll win, I promise. Your local court will dismiss the case....there lights, it wont go to Supreme court...

Yellow fogs ARE NOT illegal, and if they are, Sue Lexus. Some cars come factory with yellow fogs. If you get a ticket, fight it, youll win. again.

Basically its all in how you drive, and If your local cops are really that big of asshats. If its the SAME cop that pulls you over, go to the station and report him, I garuntee he wont **** with you anymore. Case in point. If you random rev EVERY racecar in town, youll be the center of attention. Just keep it Legal as far as your driving goes. Buckle up, don't speed, accelerate with ease, not like your launchin for the start of the Formula 1 championships, Make sure your tags are up to date, and your license plate lights are working, Use your damn turn signals....ect ect. Just be a good driver, and they will leave you alone. Just don't give them a dumb reason to stop you and they wont. Simple as that. Ive been driving imports since i was 16, theyve all had Loud exhausts, been slammed on the ground, and had Bright *** lights, with Fogs... Ive been stopped twice. Once for Speeding, and the other for having no license plate lights...

Sorry for the novel, but I get asked this alot by EVERYONE local around me. They all drive like punks, and they get pulled over....alot.

Keep it legit. Stay safe.

-A
Old 03-20-2012, 09:31 AM
The Grumpiest

If it comes FACTORY then it is NOT illegal. If it did not come from the factory that way and you install it/them it is ILLEGAL in a lot of places. If you are in one of those areas you CANNOT make this "well they come stock on a Lexus" argument. You have no legs to stand on so don't even try it. Period. You will NOT win.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a safety issue. Bumper to bumer contact and side impact.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
If it comes FACTORY then it is NOT illegal. If it did not come from the factory that way and you install it/them it is ILLEGAL in a lot of places. If you are in one of those areas you CANNOT make this "well they come stock on a Lexus" argument. You have no legs to stand on so don't even try it. Period. You will NOT win.
In Ohio's Road regulations and laws book, it states any form of Yellow lighting I.e. headlights, or foglights, are illegal for street use, and is a fineable offense.

Buddy of mine got stopped last month for his yellow fogs, fought it, and won.

All im trying to get across is not to give the police a reason to stop you. And if they do, do your research...there are always loopholes in the system. Most of the time, cops don't know jack. Its always good to have the knowledge, it will save you money, and the hassle in the long run.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by JDM_teh_WIN!!
basicly that.

In some states, you can go as low as you want, as long as you can turn lock with 0 interference. At that height, i could bearly turn the wheel without rubbing the fender.

If a truck were to hit me, they would have gone right over the car.

At my ride height now, my buddys dad's 74 ford's hood is almost at the same height my roof is.
I am easily 2''+ higher now, just think about what that truck would do to me.

Also, the amount of camber I was runing really ****ed me when I had to stop quick.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In WA the "too low" law is that no part of the car can be lower than the rim. This is so if you get a flat, the car will still roll on the rim and not strike the ground a flip or something. I got that ticket here once and got out of it with photoshop lol.

As for tint, 35% is legal in WA. 20% and 5% is usually fine and I've personally never gotten in trouble for it but I know people have. Same with exhaust, I know people that get in trouble for it because theirs was just stupid loud.

I've never had a super loud exhaust so I don't know. But from what I can tell here, it's more about how you drive than what you drive. I've had some pretty modified cars and never had a problem and I've had friends that drive like jackasses in a stock car and always get harassed. If you respect other people and cops on the road, you USUALLY won't have a problem.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by dlstech
In WA the "too low" law is that no part of the car can be lower than the rim. This is so if you get a flat, the car will still roll on the rim and not strike the ground a flip or something. I got that ticket here once and got out of it with photoshop lol.

As for tint, 35% is legal in WA. 20% and 5% is usually fine and I've personally never gotten in trouble for it but I know people have. Same with exhaust, I know people that get in trouble for it because theirs was just stupid loud.

I've never had a super loud exhaust so I don't know. But from what I can tell here, it's more about how you drive than what you drive. I've had some pretty modified cars and never had a problem and I've had friends that drive like jackasses in a stock car and always get harassed. If you respect other people and cops on the road, you USUALLY won't have a problem.
that is true. This was over 3 years ago, I didn't know that, nor did the cop. ( I think anyways) I think he just wanted to be a dick.

20% is normaly ok, shops will do it, but they make you sign a waver.

Most of the time, you wont get bothered for stuff like this. Like I said, unless you are doing something stupid.

a few of my friends have spec2's and only 1 has gotten a ticket. Becuase.... he drives like a dumb ***, and wraps the car out any chance he gets.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My question was why. Smartass.

Originally Posted by JDM_teh_WIN!!
Hmm.. Okay.

Originally Posted by dlstech
Oh okay. I guess that's reasonable.
And that's funny that you got out of it by using photoshop! haha
Old 03-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by type_r_ek
anything that honda did not install from the factory is illegal, from headlights to engine mods, exhaust, suspension, and window tint
This isn't true. Plenty of intakes, exhausts, non-slammed suspensions are legal. Tint depends on how dark.

In WI, you can get hobbyist plates on 20+ year old cars and pretty much do whatever you want.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by type_r_ek

This is simple NOT true.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:41 PM
The Grumpiest

My question was why. Smartass.
How does that not answer the question of why? Next time put some thought into what you're asking.

All of this, It's legal, It's not legal is dependent on the area you live in. Instead of reppin' your area when it doesn't even apply maybe the OP just needs to actually MAKE SOME PHONE CALLS and find out what laws are on the books in his area.

I can tell you here in this area of TN they don't give a rat's *** how low, loud or stupid you're being with your car. What does that matter to the OP if he doesn't live in this area of TN? Not at all.

No tech here.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Any...... No serious any mod is automatically illegal. Head lights have to be so high off the ground, and that's just a simple rule, don't get into turbos and ect...

Quick Reply: What are consider illegal modifications?