Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What car would make a better hybrid/ auto-x vehicle? EG hatch, EK hatch , or del sol?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What car would make a better hybrid/ auto-x vehicle? EG hatch, EK hatch , or del sol?

Contemplating on building up a road race/ auto-x vehicle, which one would be a better platform? DEL SOL or a civic hatchback. I dont really mind the weight on the Del Sol, since is roughly the same as the si hatcback. The del sol is only a 2 seater though but is more rare. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 11-29-2001, 08:22 AM
DB8
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What car would make a better hybrid/ auto-x vehicle? EG hatch, EK hatch , or del sol? (Martin De

i vote for EG hatchback, i think it's cheap and fun to drive both on road course and auto-x, i have own 2 EG now, and a integra, i still think the EG would be better with the right suspension setup, think about it this way, a 200hps engine in a little hatchy, that really sound good to me.....good luck on building your hybird
Old 11-29-2001, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What car would make a better hybrid/ auto-x vehicle? EG hatch, EK hatch , or del sol? (Martin De

Del SOl is by far the weakest chassis of the ones you offered to pick from, so that is out for that one reason.
EK is heavier so that is out.

EG is then the winner, and hey, they are also CHEAP! so that is an added bonus cool!
that is why I got a EG.. $2000 car, still runs strong with its whopping 70 hp CX motor.... but that saved me a lot of loot for suspension, chassis, braking and motor/driveline upgrades.
Old 11-29-2001, 08:41 AM
Future Texas Boy

eg hb
Old 11-29-2001, 09:45 AM
Trial User

I would personally choose between an integra or miata, but between the two you throw up I would go civic. Although I imagine a del sol vtec could be fun to through around I don't think they are very easy to find and cost twice as much as a EG.
Even better would be CRX...
Old 11-29-2001, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Spec miatas kick ***..
plus their motors are a hell of a lot cheaper if you race it...
they are under $2000 complete!
Old 11-29-2001, 01:45 PM

I would go with a delsol vtec or eg si if you want to auto-x otherwise if you do an engine swap or anything like that it is going to put you in a class with cars purposely built for autocross such as supra's and M3's. just a suggestion though. I would check with your Scca region and find out what their local rules are first if you are serious about auto-x.
Old 11-29-2001, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go with the EG civic that is a awesome ride, and good for hybrid.
Old 11-29-2001, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

eg most definately
Old 11-29-2001, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont let frank lin hear you say that ****(hehehe)... go with the eg or just buy my teg so i can get myself a eg(hehehe)... every car is capable if built right just so you know...
Del SOl is by far the weakest chassis of the ones you offered to pick from, so that is out for that one reason.
EK is heavier so that is out.

EG is then the winner, and hey, they are also CHEAP! so that is an added bonus cool!
that is why I got a EG.. $2000 car, still runs strong with its whopping 70 hp CX motor.... but that saved me a lot of loot for suspension, chassis, braking and motor/driveline upgrades.
Old 11-29-2001, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would NOT go with the del sol because of 2 things

1) its wheelsbase
2) its price

I personally (if I were to roadroce in a hybrid) would choose a 92-95 Civic sedan or coupe. It's got a longer wheelsbase than both the EG and the del sol, and they are stiffer than both. Another consideration, the coupes and sedans (DX model) are less than 200 pounds heavier than the hatch, if you are going to road race the curb weight can be reduced DRASTICALLY. Plus, they are bountiful and inexpensive. But if you don't dig the looks of the coupe or sedan settle for the hatch, but definitely NOT the del sol.

[Modified by fangtl, 10:05 PM 11/29/2001]
Old 11-29-2001, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont let frank lin hear you say that ****(hehehe)...
who dat?

oh well, I remember BumbleBee racing or sumthin or other had a very competitive road race / autocrossing Del Sol... they are capable if you do it right...
Old 11-30-2001, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

go 4 the EG
Old 11-30-2001, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.g-speed.com/eg2/
he drives a red del sol, it was just in the sport compact challenge... and yeah i seen something about that bumblebee racing eg2, it was the yellow one right? if so that thing was pretty nice...

dont let frank lin hear you say that ****(hehehe)...
who dat?

oh well, I remember BumbleBee racing or sumthin or other had a very competitive road race / autocrossing Del Sol... they are capable if you do it right...
Old 11-30-2001, 12:02 PM

CRX Si w/ B16A1

sure its a bit harder swap, but it'd be great for autoX
Old 11-30-2001, 12:12 PM
New User

EG hatch dude.
Old 11-30-2001, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go for the Del Sol!
Old 12-01-2001, 08:46 AM
New User

i hope u guys dont think that ALL ek's are heavy...
the base model 96 cx (which i have) is lighter than the EG Si..
and maybe 100-150 lbs more than the DX....
i hate when people talk about weight of this and that...
if u want a light car.. get a CRX...
if u want a real light car.. get a CRX and use slim fast...
hehhe...enjoy ur lives on the internet peoples....
Old 12-01-2001, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

uhhh EF! The shells are cheap so if you wreck you can find another one easy.

Old 12-01-2001, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

EG hatch.
Old 12-01-2001, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If I were you I'd go w/ the EK even though it is heavier the suspension geometry is set up better than the EG and the DC. I beat all of the equally prepared EG's in my area even though they are lighter. They cannot handle as well, and I am also able to outhandle most of the ITR's in my area which are also equally prepared. Remember weight isn't everything. I've been able to take FTOD in my region 4 times now and I drive an EK, and at track days I attend there are fully built ITR race cars that I am able to keep up w/ and the EG's in attendance are nowhere to be found after 1 lap.

[Modified by B18CJDM, 5:26 PM 12/1/2001]
Old 12-02-2001, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Now THAT'S an impressive argument, B18CJDM. Seriously. Weigh notwithstanding, I'm sure there are PLENTY of benefits to the EK (they also look dope, but that's not an issue )

Old 12-23-2001, 12:53 PM

A friend of mine read this, and informed me that the Del Sol gets really close to a 1.. on the lateral G's, and the article stated it was close to a porsche 911... of course is not a porsche but in reference to that aspect the handling... has anyone considered a EG sedan or EK sedan.. the sedan is actually the lightest of the civic, more so then a hatch in stock form.
Old 12-23-2001, 02:49 PM

I myself own a Del Sol and in my opion it handles like a dream. I will admit it does flex a little but that is because I have kept mine mostly stock with exception of coilovers. the weight is only a little noticable but the Del Sol has lots of reinforcements and braces to keep the flex down when the top is off. Also most all of the tops Squeek and leek because of their previous owners not taking good care of them by appling proper lubricants to the rubber seals.
Old 12-23-2001, 03:17 PM
I said I don't want a title!

If I were you I'd go w/ the EK even though it is heavier the suspension geometry is set up better than the EG and the DC. I beat all of the equally prepared EG's in my area even though they are lighter. They cannot handle as well, and I am also able to outhandle most of the ITR's in my area which are also equally prepared. Remember weight isn't everything. I've been able to take FTOD in my region 4 times now and I drive an EK, and at track days I attend there are fully built ITR race cars that I am able to keep up w/ and the EG's in attendance are nowhere to be found after 1 lap.

[Modified by B18CJDM, 5:26 PM 12/1/2001]
How is the suspension geometry set up better on the 96-00 Civics? This is a new one to me They (EK) also use basically the same shocks/springs/swaybar that have been in production since 92, some since 88 when Honda first went to the double wishbone in the Civic.

EG will always be lighter than the EK as long as you don't buy the bloated EG Si. And for some more counterpoint to the EK vs ITR and EG, just take a look at the best motoring when the CTR and ITR go head to head. Also, let Foo in his EG be another counterpoint.

Lightweight is superior. Just look at how freaking fast the 84-87 Civic/CRX is in the curves. Talk about suspension that sucks...

Not to knock B18CJDM or his competitors driving skills, but the EG *will* be the better choice since it is lighter and shares a lot of parts with the 94-01 Integra.

Quick Reply: What car would make a better hybrid/ auto-x vehicle? EG hatch, EK hatch , or del sol?