Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What came first: Chicken or the egg??

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What came first: swap or everything else?

Hey guys ....just watned to say again...great forum and was looking for some advice from civic owners

Im currently thinking of buying a civic ek or eg hatch....due to insurance and price...well i dont want to waste any money on the Stock sohc motor...in stock form it is very "limited"....i want to save up and go k20a2.....my question is if u guys did suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, and appearance before ur swap or did u guys save up for the swap, and then worked on the rest.....and if it was in another order...what was it? suspension swap brakes?

im currently a young driver still learning.....do u think i should just save up and do the swap around middle of senior year (junior year currently) or should i do my suspension and such first

i want to do it once like most of guys ...and doing it right...so i dont get bored and waste my money. ...
thnx in advance
Old 12-16-2004, 12:44 PM

Default Re: What came first: Chicken or the egg?? (JDMzEaL18)

um next time try to post up your real question so people can help you questions like that get ignored.

Hmm in my pinion save up for all because in high school you might have haters and such so save all of it adn once your done with school just throw it all into the upgrades
Old 12-16-2004, 12:49 PM

k man thnx for the advice

yee i c ur point about haters....but my school is a really small school....and im not worrying about haters....yee i know its wierd...but im really not too worried about that.....but i c where ur coming from with that..thnx

but even if i save it all up for after high school...wat do u think i should do first the swap or suspension brakes etc
Old 12-16-2004, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What came first: Chicken or the egg?? (DohcSide)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DohcSide &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">um next time try to post up your real question so people can help you questions like that get ignored.

Hmm in my pinion save up for all because in high school you might have haters and such so save all of it adn once your done with school just throw it all into the upgrades</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hi i'm an iddiot because I am going to tell you not to post a stupid question because they get ignored, then I'm going to ansewer it anyways...

Personally I did my brakes and suspension first (still got my single cam). I figured I should be able to handle the power befor i got it... This after I spun my first car of a mountain (which also still had the single cam).
Old 12-16-2004, 12:54 PM

Default Re: (JDMzEaL18)

I know you want a K20 and all to be different, or whatever, but you'd be better off building a GSR motor, or finding a Type R motor. If you're stuck on the idea of a K20, I hope you're patient enough to drop about $8000-10000 into your car.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:56 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The K-swap will end up costing around seven grand to do correctly, so keep that in mind as you're budgeting.

K20A(2 or JDM), wiring harness, mounts, ECU reflash/Hondata/K-pro, axles, transmission issues (shifter/lines), fuel rail and issues with that (plumbing, etc.), header, intake and exhaust.

But after you're done, it'll be a helluva fun car. You sound like you've got your head in the right place, now exercise some patience and you'll have a badass car within a couple years .
Old 12-16-2004, 01:25 PM

Default Re: (Archidictus)

I think we have all read that debate over the k20 with basic mods and the b18c-r with internals.....i believe that k20a2 is the future...and the true potential of it is still being discovered....so im really up for saving up that 7k and doing the swap.....i know if i loose my patience i will end up gettin the b18 and regret it....

wow i hope u were ok after ur car jumped of a cliff ...dang dat sux man....wow but ye i see wat ur tryin to say....maybe im underestimating how much the sohc can teach me ....hmm im still unsure though....cuz 7k doesnt just come out of the pocket for us young ones....i have almost half of the $$$ saved up for that swap...so i can just go another year driving a stock civic ..than put that k20....the thing bothering me is if those civic brakes and suspension can keep up iwth it
Old 12-16-2004, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

obviously it was the rooster if the chicken laid an egg
Old 12-16-2004, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Syner-G-Racing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syner-G-Racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">obviously it was the rooster if the chicken laid an egg </TD></TR></TABLE>

You're wrong. The egg came first. It takes RNA to replicate DNA

Back to the topic. IMO, I would upgrade brakes and suspension. Like said, I want to be able to have control over the power.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:03 PM

yee i def think egg came first haha

but anywayz....i was thinkin....much car control on suspension and brakin comes alot from mental confidence and accuracy and prescision....and like we put all these crazy expensive suspension and brake set-ups (dont get me wrong its def worth it)...but it gives us alot of confidence once we have those parts....but wat if u used that same amount of confidence on an oem suspension of the civic lets say....atleast for highway "driving" ....do u believe that the stock oem suspension does has SOME TEMPORARY potential in keeping up with a swap...and not just suspension but brakes as well

is there anyone out there....that has done a swap using hte oem suspension and brake set up....if so do u guys regret it or do u think my "theory" is correct

if this sounds stupid...just remember im still a junior ..so plz dont mind
Old 12-16-2004, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would just go built b18c for that price!!!
Old 12-16-2004, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best tip i can give is to not cut corners or take shortcuts. It will effect you afterwards and you'll end up spending double the money plus effort. You get what you pay for....

You must build the car from the ground up. You need some good suspension. As for brakes, upgraded pads are sufficient for "normal" driving with occasional "hard" driving. If your looking into a 92-95 Hatch, i would also advise you to get a master bushing set and have them replaced.

After you got all that (which isnt much) get some nice tires and you'll be ready for a swap. Hope i didnt leave anything out.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I guess it's all a matter of what you want out of your car. Personally I would first do the suspension, then look into brakes, then a swap. For brakes, again depending on what your needs are, upgraded pads should be fine for any street or light track use.

Think about it, what good is a more powerful engine if you car still handles like a stock Civic?
Old 12-16-2004, 03:39 PM

Default Re: (nonsense)

i'd do the swap first. thats where the majority of your money is going to go. the suspension/brakes are not going to cost much to take care of. if you are that concerned with stopping power, upgrade to rear discs and you'll be straight. i've had quite a few friends with relatively powerful (200-300whp) honda hybrid cars that have been on stock brakes, and while it can suck to stop if you are driving it hard, you'll be fine day to day as long as you aren't a crazy *** driver.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:03 PM

well hearin some of wat u guys have said....i think it would be best if i make my civic into a "JDM show car" first...meaning tein coils brakes, tires, rims, type r lip wing, etc....
this way i will be more than happy with my car...plus i will def improve my driving skills by far(throttle control, steering response, shifting, etc) ...learn about the aerodynamics of hte car...learn about how to take car of the car and the engine itself....things of that nature
However the cons of it will be...i wont get my k20 beast until sometime in college (considering i want to go to nyu law school and stuff).....so k20 is bye bye for a while...and the worst is i will get blown by any car like more than 120 hp (if im lucky) .....embarissing but hey wat u gon do?.....

so wat do u think of this plan?.....is it the key for all u who have made ur "dream car"...i dunno plz keep giving some advice and how u started with ur big mods

also need advice from those of u who have bought their cars from either an auction or if u think buying a car with a motor swap is a good idea or not ....even if u check hte swap with a mechanic before u buy?
Old 12-17-2004, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMzEaL18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> while...and the worst is i will get blown by any car like more than 120 hp (if im lucky) .....embarissing but hey wat u gon do?.....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

nitrous?
Old 12-17-2004, 06:41 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMzEaL18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i will def improve my driving skills by far(throttle control, steering response, shifting, etc)</TD></TR></TABLE>

and where would you be doing this?
Old 12-18-2004, 01:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jwn7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cuong-nutz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You're wrong. The egg came first. It takes RNA to replicate DNA

Back to the topic. IMO, I would upgrade brakes and suspension. Like said, I want to be able to have control over the power. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you misunderstood me...i meant the rooster blew a load...came first...haha...ok...nevermind.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:31 AM

Default Re: What came first: swap or everything else? (JDMzEaL18)

the your only basic choice to boil it down to is this. looks or motor your car can look stock and smoke alot of people or looks like it can smoke alot of people but cant. its bassically up to you
Old 12-18-2004, 03:53 AM

Default Re: What came first: swap or everything else? (DohcSide)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DohcSide &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the your only basic choice to boil it down to is this. looks or motor your car can look stock and smoke alot of people or looks like it can smoke alot of people but cant. its bassically up to you </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 12-18-2004, 11:58 PM

if life hands you a lemon (d-series), then boost it! lol jokes aside, i recommend you start on the suspension first,like someone said, work from the ground up. it'll make your car more fun to drive and you can learn more about your car. if you're starting to wander on the k-series, you might want to take a look at a boosted d series. members are making pretty good power from those single cam suckers.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:08 AM

Default Re: (ntogethernow)

HMMMMm booosted lemons .......?

i actually did some calculations.....and the way its goin so far is....if i work my butt of this summer .... and if the rents lend in some....i can have my swap by december, plus i will have new brake set up, rims tires, coils...so ye my car wont look fast.....but hey im not complaining...

im also planning to do autocross this summer with the coils, brakes,tires and rims