Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What is the best and most effective way to remove tint from the rear window?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best and most effective way to remove tint from the rear window?

Topic says it all. I bought a 95 Civic EX Coupe this weekend but there's ghetto "purple" tint on the windows. I'm not too concerned about the front/side windows, but what concerns me most is the rear window. What is the safest method of removing tint w/o harming the rear defroster?

I've heard of spray that eats up the resedue (spelling? ) but I'm not too sure about it.

Does anyone have any personal experiences, tips, techniques, or suggestions on how I can remove the tint of my rear window without damaging the rear defroster?

Thanks in advance. I greatly appreciate it.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:54 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

if i were u i would just take it to a profesional to remove it, because if your not carefull u can mess up your rear defrost.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Vtecin94dx)

spray it down with a good strawberry douche.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is the best and most effective way to remove tint from the rear window? (TheIntegraGuy)

I scraped off as much as possible (around the edges and in between the defroster lines with a razor). Then use Tuff Stuff carpet cleaner, and a BLUE scotch-brite pad, do not use the green as it will scratch the window. Keep on working and scrubbing at it. I've done it twice now with no problems. Make sure to have a couple hours and plenty of beer.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:57 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (WAFFLES)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WAFFLES &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">spray it down with a good strawberry douche.</TD></TR></TABLE>
strawberry douche, huh blake? haha
Old 11-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Vtecin94dx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vtecin94dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
strawberry douche, huh blake? haha</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes. The springtime breeze just won't do the trick.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:03 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (WAFFLES)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WAFFLES &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes. The springtime breeze just won't do the trick.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha i hear ya, man im feeling a little not so fresh right now... i willbe right back.. gottsa douche.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:30 AM

How about some JDM douche?

Old 11-01-2004, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TheIntegraGuy)

Use some glass cleaner, the kind that foams, and scrub the window with some fine steal wool. I have done five or six this way and it works, but it can take a hour or two
Old 11-01-2004, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is the best and most effective way to remove tint from the rear window? (******)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ****** &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> plenty of beer.</TD></TR></TABLE>
This seems to be the most important part
Old 11-01-2004, 11:44 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Use some glass cleaner, the kind that foams, and scrub the window with some fine steal wool. I have done five or six this way and it works, but it can take a hour or two</TD></TR></TABLE>

Will steel wool mess up the defroster? It sounds as if it would.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheIntegraGuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How about some JDM douche?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I really couldn't tell you. I have no experience with that.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:49 AM

Default Re: What is the best and most effective way to remove tint from the rear window? (TheIntegraGuy)

LOTSA windex or soapy water in a spray bottle spray spray spray until soaking wet and carefully use a razor blade to scrape off teh tint be careful not to damage the rear window defroster lines....
Old 11-01-2004, 11:51 AM
jbs
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheIntegraGuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Will steel wool mess up the defroster? It sounds as if it would. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it will. I took mine to a tint shop but they did a ghetto job and just ripped out the tint and used steel wool. Needless to say my defroster doesn't work except for one line and the glass is finely scratched up.

I found a spray at either Autozone or Pepboys specifically for tint removal. You spray this stuff then cover the glass with a trash bag. . . . I guess to keep the fumes or something in. . . . then start peeling off the tint.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jbs)

Go to Walmart, Pep boys, Advance auto and look for "Tint Off". It's in a little green borrle about the size of the spray air fresheners. It works very well and will not harm the defroster.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dwnthehatch)

I work at a tint shop and have never seen damage done by steal wool. you use the fine not the coarse steal wool. slowly peel the tint off and scrub the glue off with the glass cleaner and steal wool. when i was first told how to do it, I thought the steal wool would damage the lines too but it hasn't since I have been working.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go to Walmart, Pep boys, Advance auto and look for "Tint Off". It's in a little green borrle about the size of the spray air fresheners. It works very well and will not harm the defroster.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, I have used "Tint-Off" before as well. It does work on the side windows but I'm not sure if it will effect the defroster. I'm also curious to how I can "scrape" it off cleanly.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I work at a tint shop and have never seen damage done by steal wool. you use the fine not the coarse steal wool. slowly peel the tint off and scrub the glue off with the glass cleaner and steal wool. when i was first told how to do it, I thought the steal wool would damage the lines too but it hasn't since I have been working.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the info!
Old 11-01-2004, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dwnthehatch)

Here you go...the method I used...

Tint is 2 layers...the tint layer and the adhesive layer. The key is to remove both layers at once. This method heats up the adhesive to loosen it, and with patience and careful work, the tint will come off in 1 piece with little adhesive residue.

Large black trash bag
Spray bottle with water
Any non-marking tape
Ammonia
Hair dryer
Plenty of paper towels (lint free is best)
Razor blades (use a couple as they dull)

Prep:
Park car with rear window facing the sun.
Cut trash bag along seam so you have 2 halves.
Spray inside of rear window with water.
Use the water's suction to stick bag half to window. Push out bubbles for best results.
Do the same for the outside, spray with water, suction the bag down. I taped the edges so the wind wouldn't affect it at all.
Let stand for an hour or so.

Removal:
Remove trash bag from inside window. The sun will have heated the glue and the tint can come off rather easily.
Carefully slit the tint near an edge and begin to peel tint.
Pull slowly and evenly.
Use ammonia soaked paper towels to clean up left-behind adhesive.
Use caution around defroster lines, but with heat & ammonia, it will come off rather easily.

For side windows, I used a hair dryer to soften the adhesive and peeled carefully. Use ammonia to wipe the window down. Patience is key. Removal of rear window and rear side windows took roughly 2 hours, including the time leaving the car in the sun.

Good luck!