Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

whast a safe amount of boost

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whast a safe amount of boost

goin to do a turbo b16 swap in my 00' civic and was wondering what is a safe amount of boost to run on stock internals? i plan to rebuild the motor when i get it and put new bearings and rings to make as close to new as possible.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whast a safe amount of boost (00supercivic)

stock 5-7 lbs

you can run 9 with a intercooler

and with a ems about 11-13 and some fuel upgrades. just don't get boot controller crazy.

and if it's your daily driver 5-9 with inter cooler is fine.

Old 11-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: whast a safe amount of boost (92 CIVIC HATCH VX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92 CIVIC HATCH VX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stock 5-7 lbs

you can run 9 with a intercooler

and with a ems about 11-13 and some fuel upgrades. just don't get boot controller crazy.

and if it's your daily driver 5-9 with inter cooler is fine. </TD></TR></TABLE>
yea i wouldnt go anywhere above 8 with an intercooler and EMS unless your tuner is amazing.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

on our shop b16a2we put 18lbs on stock internals on a couple passes but the engine didn't last the day at the track. we had a 2 rods snap like a twig.

but we have ems intercooler and intercooler co2 spray and upgraded fuel system and msd ignition.

Old 11-05-2004, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
yea i wouldnt go anywhere above 8 with an intercooler and EMS unless your tuner is amazing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

8 lbs is very reliable number with that set up.
just keep you eye on guages
Old 11-06-2004, 07:19 PM

Whats EMS please explain. I'm new to forced induction
Old 11-06-2004, 07:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

engine management system

the amount of boost you can run safely really is determined by a ton of factors. The size of the turbo, the tune, your fuel management, the list gones on from there.

If you are just getting into forced induction, I would suggest going with a greddy kit. It is a pretty conservative turbo kit, basically bolt on, and relatively cheap. It is a great jumping off point to getting into a turboed car.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whast a safe amount of boost (Dengar)

i actually reccomend going the other way, if you are just getting into boost build your own kit. it will force you to learn everything about a turbo systen and how it works, so when it breaks you can fix it. nothing worse than someone who has a boosted car that dosent know **** about it.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:02 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im gonna go with 9lbs max on stock internals, assuming you got it all set right (boost controller).

Spend money on a wastegate! dont get a shitty one. if that fails, then your engine blows up, hehe.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whast a safe amount of boost (Redline96LX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redline96LX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im gonna go with 9lbs max on stock internals, assuming you got it all set right (boost controller).

Spend money on a wastegate! dont get a shitty one. if that fails, then your engine blows up, hehe. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that can be said with any part of the turbo system

and nissans are ugly? oooook
Old 11-06-2004, 08:11 PM

Default Re: whast a safe amount of boost (Kamin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and nissans are ugly? oooook</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know my 300zx is the ugliest car i've ever seen...
Old 11-06-2004, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whast a safe amount of boost (xZeler8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xZeler8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know my 300zx is the ugliest car i've ever seen... </TD></TR></TABLE>
seiously, my 240 is hideous
Old 11-06-2004, 08:51 PM

asking how much boost is useless without telling us what turbo you're using.

its better to ask how much HP your stock internals can hold instead of boost, since HP is a relation of boost and turbo size. id stick with something less than 250whp. and good piston rings will yeild you longer wear. goodluck, boost is a money pit =P
Old 11-06-2004, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whast a safe amount of boost (duh blacksheep)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by duh blacksheep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">asking how much boost is useless without telling us what turbo you're using.

its better to ask how much HP your stock internals can hold instead of boost, since HP is a relation of boost and turbo size. id stick with something less than 250whp. and good piston rings will yeild you longer wear. goodluck, boost is a money pit =P</TD></TR></TABLE>
piston rings dont have much of anything to do with boost.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:55 PM

piston rings dont have much of anything to do with boost. </TD></TR></TABLE>

are you sure about that?
Old 11-07-2004, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by duh blacksheep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you sure about that?</TD></TR></TABLE>
pistons and rods are a **** of alot more important than the rings.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pistons and rods are a **** of alot more important than the rings. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hey potty mouth everything plays a part in setting boost up.

but with stock internals you wouldn't have to worry about those because there.... well stock.

The stock components are going to last as long as you take care and don't abuse and run the hell out of your engine. Also how well you took car of it before adding boost.

Your engine is as strong as your weakest link.

Sometimes i just want to take the cheap way out too. Like changing the oil with corn oil or olive oil? you never know how long it will last under high temp though.

Good way to cook stuff on a long trip i guess.

happy boosting
Old 11-07-2004, 02:44 PM

Well we would all like to take the cheap way out but for me im goin all the way with it takin out all the stops. I'm not getting any cheap stuff. The car i have now is a 00' civic ex and im doin the B16 so that way i can order stuff for a 00' Si. I plan to use the Greddy kit for my set up. i plan to get a JDM motor for the build up and before putting the engine in the car i am rebuilding with new pistons rings and all new bearings. The head gasket i plan to use is the STOPPER by HKS (i herd they the best). i also have a big list of other items i plan to upgrade while doing the turbo

Skunk2: Intake manifold, Throttle body, and Trubo cams.
MSD: full ingnition
ungrade all the fuel delivery and add a fule pressure regulator for more fuel pressure.
can't think of what else i have planed for it yet but if anybody out there is wanting to chat about hondas give me a shout, i have AIM Nbr1civicex
Old 11-07-2004, 03:30 PM

pistons and rods breaking is one thing (too much power)

piston rings, bearings those kinda things are wear items. I didnt say piston rings are the weakest link or that its the most important under boost, i was simply saying they will wear out if using stock or old parts. premature ring/lands wear will give you a drop in compression, not right away, but in time...im talking about in the long run!! any car can boost a lot for a couple short runs
Old 11-07-2004, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yea i wouldnt go anywhere above 8 with an intercooler and EMS unless your tuner is amazing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I ran 12psi daily on my setup for two years and never had a problem. Its all in the tuning. Now i run 15-20psi daily boost setting on my built motor.

liam
Old 11-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you know what detonation or preignition is??? so you know what you are going to tune it with??? do you know how many miles are on your motor???? do you even have this motor. like liam said, up to 12psi if it is tuned. if you think tuning consists of an FMU and a missing link and your butt dyno. i give you 7psi.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by duh blacksheep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pistons and rods breaking is one thing (too much power)

piston rings, bearings those kinda things are wear items. I didnt say piston rings are the weakest link or that its the most important under boost, i was simply saying they will wear out if using stock or old parts. premature ring/lands wear will give you a drop in compression, not right away, but in time...im talking about in the long run!! any car can boost a lot for a couple short runs</TD></TR></TABLE>
well that is obvious that anything that wears will make the engine weaker, but you specifically said "id stick with something less than 250whp. and good piston rings will yeild you longer wear. " rings alone will not extend the life of your engine, period. nowhere did you say a healthy engine will last longer than one that has its fair share of wear, and the only way to check is with a leakdown. nope you just said good rings will make it last longer wich rings alone will not do that.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

60 psi on the dodge diesel
Old 11-07-2004, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whast a safe amount of boost (chad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">60 psi on the dodge diesel</TD></TR></TABLE>
too bad the truck falls apart around the engine...

&lt;- will be buying a diesel early 05.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: whast a safe amount of boost (lohatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lohatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you know what detonation or preignition is??? so you know what you are going to tune it with??? do you know how many miles are on your motor???? do you even have this motor. like liam said, up to 12psi if it is tuned. if you think tuning consists of an FMU and a missing link and your butt dyno. i give you 7psi.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea its all about how bling your fuel system is. You have a good fuel system, run alot of boost safely. If its "teh suck" keep to low boost because you will prolly blow it up.

liam