Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

wet weather

Old 10-02-2006, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wet weather

its about to start raining soon and ive heard that hatches tend to leak? any tips on keeping it from leaking and any other tips for the wet weather driving? thanks btw its a eg 94 cx
Old 10-02-2006, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wet weather (Alex804)

also interested in this bump bump
Old 10-02-2006, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it hasn't rained in awhile, the road is more slippery than if it's rained for 2 days straight. If it's sunny for 20 days straight, the oil contracts and gets tight. When it rains it rises up out of the pavemen and makes things slippery. If it's been raining for two days straight the oil's all risen up and it won't be like that. Of course you'll still have a lower coefficient of friction, but not as bad as day one.

Just, remember hte first day of rain in awhile is the worst traction wise.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:53 PM
I forgot more about hondas then you will ever know....

Location: hop,skip, and a jump from the city,, new friggin york, USA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If it hasn't rained in awhile, the road is more slippery than if it's rained for 2 days straight. If it's sunny for 20 days straight, the oil contracts and gets tight. When it rains it rises up out of the pavemen and makes things slippery. If it's been raining for two days straight the oil's all risen up and it won't be like that. Of course you'll still have a lower coefficient of friction, but not as bad as day one.

Just, remember hte first day of rain in awhile is the worst traction wise.</TD></TR></TABLE>

spoken like someone who understands the "friction circle"
Old 10-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Rodney)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rodney &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">spoken like someone who understands the "friction circle" </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you thank you.

And include the part where I'm still right
Old 10-02-2006, 05:36 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

thanks on the good info..but does anyone know about hatches leaking?
Old 10-02-2006, 05:42 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tail light gaskets. They're cheap, like $5-10 a light @ a Honda dealership.

Also, as for wet driving, make sure to keep extra space between you and drivers ahead of you, and don't ride people's *** if they're going slow. If they hammer the pedal, you could slide into them. Also, don't ride *** in a traffic jam. You could either hit someone, or someone could slide into you and cause you to slam the guy in front of you.

PS - Never use your high-beams in heavy rain, they'll cause glare because of the lack of cut-off, and the lack of diffusion on the filament.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:31 PM

Default Re: (Eran)

sorry but what exatly is the tail light gasket
Old 10-02-2006, 06:36 PM

Default Re: (Alex804)

a rubber gasket that goes between your tailight and the metal it bolts too
Old 10-02-2006, 06:37 PM
HT White Ops

Honda PN:33503-S03-003, they're $5 each from honda.

Diagram part 5. It's a foam gasket that seals your tail light to body of the car. Also, there should be a drain in the bottom of your spare wheel indent. Make sure it's not plugged or sealed, that allows any water that gets in to drain out.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Almost every hatch I have ever seen leaks at the taillights. I could keep goldfish in mine.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:07 PM

Default Re: (TurboTagTeam)

is that the only place most hatches leak from or are there others?
Old 10-02-2006, 08:52 PM

Default Re: (Alex804)

i havent drove mine in the rain yet, or such,
but i put a bead of silicone (clear) on the gasket as well around my tailight that was leaking.
ill let everyone know if it indeed works and saved me 5$ and a trip to honda, out of a product i had laying around the house
Old 10-02-2006, 09:07 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (EtherEG93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EtherEG93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i havent drove mine in the rain yet, or such,
but i put a bead of silicone (clear) on the gasket as well around my tailight that was leaking.
ill let everyone know if it indeed works and saved me 5$ and a trip to honda, out of a product i had laying around the house</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unless that's your only option, I would never put uneeded silicone on my car. Don't cheap out on your car, go spend $10 and do it the right way.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:31 PM

hatches like to leak all over the place ive got it leaking in the back on the taillilights i need to get the time to replace the gasket but im usually either sleeping or working
It will also leak in the front passenger side of your car and get the floor wet there it comes from a bunch of different places your windshield in the bottom passenger side corner and will go down between the dash and firewall and get to the floor it cancome throuch the joint of the roll bar and the fender and get in there if your weather stripping is shot it will come in through the door and run down down below your battery there is a rubber gromet the becomes dry rotted and allows water in and if your condensor drain becomes plugged up like mine did it will biuld up and leak through the firewall there if the stripping on your roof is dry rotted it will get in there if the compound is shot and wil leak in it can leak in through the seal around your trunk if its not properly installed and so on check all your seals see if there in good and not rotted out or slit or anything wash your car and check your fllors make sure that the rug isnt damp or anything and runn water down the windshield and see if it starts to drip down behind the firewall
Old 10-02-2006, 09:34 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (Jhonny Ricer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jhonny Ricer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hatches like to leak all over the place ive got it leaking in the back on the taillilights i need to get the time to replace the gasket but im usually either sleeping or working
It will also leak in the front passenger side of your car and get the floor wet there it comes from a bunch of different places your windshield in the bottom passenger side corner and will go down between the dash and firewall and get to the floor it cancome throuch the joint of the roll bar and the fender and get in there if your weather stripping is shot it will come in through the door and run down down below your battery there is a rubber gromet the becomes dry rotted and allows water in and if your condensor drain becomes plugged up like mine did it will biuld up and leak through the firewall there if the stripping on your roof is dry rotted it will get in there if the compound is shot and wil leak in it can leak in through the seal around your trunk if its not properly installed and so on check all your seals see if there in good and not rotted out or slit or anything wash your car and check your fllors make sure that the rug isnt damp or anything and runn water down the windshield and see if it starts to drip down behind the firewall </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, are your sure your car wasn't in a wreck?
Old 10-02-2006, 09:48 PM

lol truth be told i think it was i checked the carfax and it was a clean title so he didnt report it but i took a look at it about 2 weeks ago after i got it home and founf out that the bumper was replaced the passenger headlight was broken of the top two holding brackets the passenger side top bumper bracket was bent in against the radiator the bumper reinforcement up front was pushed in a tad and some other stuff so my guess was he was driving down the road at about 40 hit a deer than replaced the bumper made it look pretty and set it out for sale for 1500 lol his sales pitch was fast as bullet lmao i didnt really care though nothing to extensive so im happy with it its a stock 96 CX hatch mine onlyu leakse behind the firewall and in the front i think its the windshield isnt fully sealed and the gasket for the talights are shot so it gets in the others ive just seen people having around here and there, here on HT
Old 10-03-2006, 06:41 PM

anyone here try the rainx wipers?
Old 10-03-2006, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wet weather (Alex804)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Alex804 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its about to start raining soon and ive heard that hatches tend to leak? any tips on keeping it from leaking and any other tips for the wet weather driving? thanks btw its a eg 94 cx</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea its called weather stripping
Old 10-03-2006, 07:00 PM

Default Re: wet weather (FifthGearOnline)

wow arent you the morst informative person on H-T
Old 10-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wet weather (Jhonny Ricer)

thanks for the compliment, i aim to please
Old 10-03-2006, 07:04 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jhonny Ricer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">WTB:
Either Swirrlies, Blades, Or Hammers Hit me up with offers....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey aren't "swirrlies" and blades the same thing?
Old 10-03-2006, 08:18 PM

Default Re: (D Garage)

yeah i use the fog x and i know how you feel about the fogging up since mines a cx plus no wiper in the back haha...thats why i wana be prepared this year..im lucky i only get rain and once in a while hard rain....dont have to deal with the snow
Old 10-03-2006, 08:25 PM

Default Re: wet weather (BauleyCivic)

yea i think so i meant fat 5's though o well at least if i ever come across someone with blades theyll know what im talking about either way *shrugs*
Old 10-03-2006, 08:40 PM

Hmm I've owned a 94 civic vx since Nov. 93. Live in Washington state. I haven't had any leaks at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wet weather