Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Went to the track! GSR EK, one good run, then grinding? HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went to the track! GSR EK, one good run, then grinding? HELP?

Took my stockish GSR powered EK hatch to the strip today.

My first run ever with this car, and first launch ever netted a 2.3s 60ft, and a 14.8@96mph... not too shabby for a bone stock GSR with intake and cat-back. Trans shifted like butter all the way down the track. I figure I can get a low-mid 14 based on the mph vs. crappy launch and I take my tires down from 38psi in the front to 20psi and set my AGX's on full stiff.

Next run I launch at 5-6k rpm and it wheel hops badly. I try to shift to second but it grinds. I finally get it in and it grinds going into third.

I get out of it and pull back to the pits. There is a ticking coming from my trans area that increases with engine speed (not wheel speed). I figure it has to be something connected to the engine, so it's either a pressure plate or a clutch that's toast. This was a stock GSR clutch that had ~75k miles on it.

I'm confused. I had a few people at the track tell me it sounds like a bad pressure plate. However, when I drive the car, it's as if I have no clutch. It's hard to get into ALL gears, but it WILL go into all of them when the revs are right. I can clutch it into first as well if I go down to 2nd first, and ram it up.

I'm assuming I'm going to need a new clutch, but I'm curious because in my experience with blown clutches is that they aren't hard to get IN to gear, it's just hard to get the gear to grab the clutch and move the car. In my car, it's hard to get in to the gear, but once you're in, the clutch will get the car moving.

I guess it could be some bent pressure plate fingers that aren't letting the clutch release all the way. I have excellent pedal feel, full fluid in the resevoir, and no hydrolic leaks.

Any opinions are welcome!
Old 11-05-2006, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Everythings bascically connected, Like if the Clutch cable is not adjusted right when u push the clutch pedal in, the clutch isnt all the way out so it wont go into gear, Could be a messed up pressure plate, bent fingers holding the clutch back a little maybe? throwout bearing... only way to really find out is to rip it apart
Old 11-05-2006, 04:16 PM

It's a hydro tranny.. no cables. I'm looking into a clutch/fw from EkayJay, but I need to be certain it will work for my dd.

I need a clutch that will hold 250-300whp for a long period of time, that is a STREET clutch.. no pucks, no harsh engagement, and no super heavy pedal pressure.

Any recommendations?
Old 11-06-2006, 09:05 AM

TTT
Old 11-06-2006, 10:40 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

you have a stock gs-r....why would you need a clutch that holds double your HP? just get an exedy
'stage 2' or act, with a heavy duty pressure plate. it'll be a bit stronger, but even a new stock clutch will be strong than what you have now.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:08 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm going turbo in the spring. No bigger than a GT28RS, I want boost before 4k.

Smaller turbos make more torque early though, so a clutch is a little trickier to pick out.

A lot of the time on big turbos you'll see numbers like 350whp/250tq... where smaller turbos (at 15psi) have numbers more like 250whp/250/tq.