Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Went to get the resonator replaced yesterday....got a crappy suprise.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Went to get the resonator replaced yesterday....got a crappy suprise.

My bad resonator finally pushed me over the edge, I went to a local muffler shop that quoted me $45 to replace it. Cool.

So, then he entices me with the idea of just putting in a strait pipe for $20.
Okay. That works. I'm all about saving money.

N-E-Way, after the car is lifted he says I can go underneath and look at the car.

FAWK. My right rear LCA is bent!!!
FAWK. My catalytic converter is cracked all around and leaking.
FAWK. My header has a pin sized crack in it at one of the welds.

FAWK. He cannot fix it because it's ceramic coated.

<FONT SIZE="10">FAWK!</FONT>
LoL. I hate cars.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Went to get the resonator replaced yesterday....got a crappy suprise. (Spade)

JB Weld the header!
Old 04-30-2003, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Went to get the resonator replaced yesterday....got a crappy suprise. (splitime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by splitime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">JB Weld the header! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was thinking more along the lines of bubble gum and duct tape.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Went to get the resonator replaced yesterday....got a crappy suprise. (Spade)

Hey Spade, where exactly is the crack on the header? I had a small one at the top near the head and my buddy at the muffler shop wire brushed most of the coating off and welded the crack. As far as the cat and lca goes....that sucks!!
Old 04-30-2003, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Went to get the resonator replaced yesterday....got a crappy suprise. (powerBan.est1990)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by powerBan.est1990 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey Spade, where exactly is the crack on the header? I had a small one at the top near the head and my buddy at the muffler shop wire brushed most of the coating off and welded the crack. As far as the cat goes....that sucks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

4-2-1 two piece. At the 2 joint underneath. I'm thinking about taking the header off and removing all of the coating (sand blasting), getting it welded then wrapping the whole damn thing.

But, I'd rather spend money on tires. *thinks again, I hate cars*
Old 04-30-2003, 07:04 AM
Trial User

Sorry Spadey... wish I could help since you helped me out. Time for some nice LCA's.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need two straight pipes.

Ohh ops your in cali. Damn that sucks.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oops heh gotta watch those bumps and dips or whatever else you might have hit to do that kind of work. you using stock lca's? ive got extras.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Went to get the resonator replaced yesterday....got a crappy suprise. (monicle)

Too bad you live in CA or didn't know anyone that could smog you. My cat wouldn't fit with the exhaust I bought so I got a test pipe for the time being.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Went to get the resonator replaced yesterday....got a crappy suprise. (Apex i ITR)

why don't hondas come with flex pipes?? I've seen people crack headers like what you mention cuz of this......

Old 04-30-2003, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Went to get the resonator replaced yesterday....got a crappy suprise. (splitime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by splitime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">JB Weld the header! </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol.. its works just as good as windex
Old 04-30-2003, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Went to get the resonator replaced yesterday....got a crappy suprise. (prendi)

i've got billet aluminum LCA's for sale!

the blue ones
Old 04-30-2003, 08:56 AM
New User

i guess it's time to get the BLING BLING piece
Old 04-30-2003, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Went to get the resonator replaced yesterday....got a crappy suprise. (SlowCivicHmm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlowCivicHmm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why don't hondas come with flex pipes?? I've seen people crack headers like what you mention cuz of this......

</TD></TR></TABLE>

My Jun H22 Header has a NICE flex section
Old 04-30-2003, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Went to get the resonator replaced yesterday....got a crappy suprise. (hot_EG)

Sorry to hear about that Gabe(Spade) do you think you bent the lca when you caught air the railroad tracks? That prolly did in your cat and header too? Damn the luck...If you need help on the labor of putting it all back together lemmie know...
Old 04-30-2003, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Went to get the resonator replaced yesterday....got a crappy suprise. (RSZero1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RSZero1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry to hear about that Gabe(Spade) do you think you bent the lca when you caught air the railroad tracks? That prolly did in your cat and header too? Damn the luck...If you need help on the labor of putting it all back together lemmie know... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nah. All the damage was from the previous owner. My dumbass didn't know a damn thing about cars at the time of purchase.

If I knew even half of what I know now, i'd be in a different car.

I am keeping my eyes open for a rear disk conversion w/LCA's and a new catalytic converter. LoL. Again, I hate cars.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to hear that gabe ..I'm sure you can find some LCA's for cheap though
Old 04-30-2003, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Went to get the resonator replaced yesterday....got a crappy suprise. (IM ALL BOB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IM ALL BOB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry to hear that gabe ..I'm sure you can find some LCA's for cheap though </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm lookin' ....I've already put about 18,000 miles on this suspension and haven't noticed anything.....yet.

Old 04-30-2003, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Drive it off a cliff and buy an EG
Old 04-30-2003, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Went to get the resonator replaced yesterday....got a crappy suprise. (Green R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Green R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Drive it off a cliff and buy an EG </TD></TR></TABLE>

If I got rid of this thing, I wouldn't buy a 4 banger again.

$ for $, sport compacts aren't worth it.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any time you mod something, you'll be spending a lot of money.

Especially if you plan on getting an older domestic. They don't come mint anymore.

Modified by Green R at 7:01 PM 4/30/2003
Old 04-30-2003, 09:53 AM

just take off the cat and put in a straight pipe
dats what i have
Old 04-30-2003, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Went to get the resonator replaced yesterday....got a crappy suprise. (whiterice42019)

cause that's legal.

Just don't get caught.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Went to get the resonator replaced yesterday....got a crappy suprise. (Green R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Green R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any time you mod something, you'll be spending a lot of money.

Especially if you plan on getting an older domestic. They don't mint anymore.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed, but I have to rebuild this thing so I might as well rebuild and mod something that is worth it.

Fact, good equal lenght headers for a V8 cost the same as a low end header for a Civic!

I am not doubting the fact that I would have stuff to deal with in an older car. I just saying if I already have to deal with it, it should be in something worth it to me
Old 04-30-2003, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you might double check those figures.

Quick Reply: Went to get the resonator replaced yesterday....got a crappy suprise.