Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Well... I failed my Emissions test baddd

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 10:29 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well... I failed my Emissions test baddd

Well, the other day i got the pink notice in the mail for my emissions. I swapped out my test pipe for my stock cat yesterday and went to take the test this morning. They didnt put it on the rollers b/c the car is too low, so all they did was test at idle and rev a little. This is chicago emissions btw.

The test came back.. and limit for Hydrocarbons is 220, i was at 600. the limit for Carbon monoxide is 1.2, i was 3.4

the car is a 92 eg hatch with jdm b16, greddy header, rsr exmag catback, p72 socketed with kenji custom program for my setup, and some other goodies.

Im thinking I would pass if I just swapped out for a stock usdm ecu? would that work or does anyone have any other ideas? thanks

Modified by klubhed1 at 11:42 PM 1/26/2005
Old 01-26-2005, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Well... I failed my Emissions test baddd (klubhed1)

change the ecu for starters as you stated. that should definately help out alittle.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Well... I failed my Emissions test baddd (sean)

Basic tune up, and denatured alcohol will almost guarantee you passing emissions. You can also mess with the timing so you get a complete burn. Also throw in the lowest octane that you can run safely before you take the test. I know people who pass in Illinois with no cat on, all they do is add denatured alcohol.

And if you would like a waiver contact me because I know a few people that can give you a waiver.

By the way I went about a month ago and for both test my results were 3 times the standard amount.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Well... I failed my Emissions test baddd (90blackcrx)

go to autozone...buy the stuff in a blue box (in the fluids section)...in big words ..it says "guaranteed to pass smog"

i used that stuff after I barely failed...went back the same day and passed with flying colors
Old 01-26-2005, 11:19 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Well... I failed my Emissions test baddd (krazySOHC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by krazySOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go to autozone...buy the stuff in a blue box (in the fluids section)...in big words ..it says "guaranteed to pass smog"

i used that stuff after I barely failed...went back the same day and passed with flying colors </TD></TR></TABLE> you barely failed though.. my readings were just about 3 times over the limit
Old 01-26-2005, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by klubhed1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> you barely failed though.. my readings were just about 3 times over the limit</TD></TR></TABLE>

Read my response up above.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by krazySOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go to autozone...buy the stuff in a blue box (in the fluids section)...in big words ..it says "guaranteed to pass smog"

i used that stuff after I barely failed...went back the same day and passed with flying colors </TD></TR></TABLE>

That stuff is not a guarantee though, I had people run it in there cars and still failed.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:19 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Well... I failed my Emissions test baddd (90blackcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Read my response up above.

That stuff is not a guarantee though, I had people run it in there cars and still failed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya i read it, first I wana try the ecu though. i think that should make the difference. I dont really feel like buyin anything to pass. i know with some tweeking or making up a bill of atleast $450 to get the waiver. thanks for ur help.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:28 PM

change your ecu back to stock. give your car a full tune up.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Well... I failed my Emissions test baddd (sean)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sean &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">change the ecu for starters as you stated. that should definately help out alittle.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ECU swap and the "neverfail" or "guarantee to pass" stuff. You shuold be fine.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CRXDrew)

Thank God we dont got Emissions laws.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ErMaK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ErMaK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thank God we dont got Emissions laws.</TD></TR></TABLE>

NOT yet

anyway go and drive the **** out of it once you get the stock ECU in. you need to heat up that cat and drive it a few miles and turn the key on and off so the ECU can adaptively learn the car so it can run at 14.7:1 stoich.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Re: (BatuKing)

i just got my car inspected, and it failed the emissions portion of the test, ive got a gsr in my car and was worried i wouldnt be able to get it to pass, all i did is swap out my high flow cat for the stock one, and threw on my stock rear secion of the exhaust, took it back the next day and it passed.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (phantom grey eg)

Yeah throw back the stock ECU, the program ecu must of advanced timing, fuel, etc. Your lucky they didn't run the dyno, otherwise you got Nox problem.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

That sucks cause I just went for emissions and they gave me a 2 year waiver because my car was too low. Definitely swap your ecu.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (93gsrcoupe)

93gsrcoupe, what station in MD did you go to? How low are you?
Old 01-26-2005, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im so glad they took those stupid emisions out of Miami whooo hooo :-D
Old 01-26-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Re: (Slammed92hbonN20)

your running too rich.

go to ecu for the b16, the usdm.

make sure the car is hot. Nice and hot. It will help tremendously with the catalytic affect.

I wouldn't even bother to double check timing, i would just do the ecu and warm the car up and low octane. That will drop the hydrocarbons by a boatload and save you the troubles of a tune-up that i doubt you need.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:29 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (snoochtodanooch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snoochtodanooch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your running too rich.

go to ecu for the b16, the usdm.

make sure the car is hot. Nice and hot. It will help tremendously with the catalytic affect.

I wouldn't even bother to double check timing, i would just do the ecu and warm the car up and low octane. That will drop the hydrocarbons by a boatload and save you the troubles of a tune-up that i doubt you need. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya i definately dont need a tune up. everything was just recently done with a bunch new parts. its all ready for the turbo kit i put together to go on in the spring. im not sure how warm the car was when i got there. it was only abour 23 degrees outside today. cold *** chicago weather... im gona swap the ecu. i only ever put in super premium or premium. should i use unleaded? i dont really wana.

btw when car was at idle it was idling at about 750rpms. that fat ***** sat in my car got my mint del sol seats dirty just to sit and rev my car and fail me. then he wouldnt let me pull the car out, he said hell pull it up (which was 10ft.) then i could get in the driver seat. im like wtf. i stayed in the passenger seat whole time. well the idiot died the car out twice, then once it started movin its jerkin. im like wrf. so i go through all that and i stil failed. suks ...
Old 01-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a friend of mine has a type r motor in his civic with kenji's chip and when he had his emissions test done in philly, i forgot what the 1.90 limit was for but he ended up with a 8.75. during the test was when we remembered about the chip. so u should try to put your stock ecu back in.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:54 PM

Default Re: (klubhed1)

i highly doubt your running leaded gas. All gases at the pumps are unleaded. You want to run 87, burns more completely.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BatuKing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BatuKing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

NOT yet

</TD></TR></TABLE>

eh compared to Cali we have like no ppl in our state. our biggest city is only about 1/3 the size of Atlanta.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (snoochtodanooch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snoochtodanooch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i highly doubt your running leaded gas. All gases at the pumps are unleaded. You want to run 87, burns more completely. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Just read it and thought the same thing about the unleaded gas. And as I stated above the lowest octane your car will safely run on is the best thing to put in. And don't waste your money on that autozone crap guarantee to pass, if you really need to buy something buy denatured alcohol. My buddy has an 800hp camaro with no cats, and he ran that threw the system and passed. Not really hard to pass when you know what will make your car burn cleaner.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:28 AM

Default Re: (90blackcrx)

it was a my single cam dx motor...i didnt give it ****...and yes the autozone **** does help
Old 01-27-2005, 01:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (krazySOHC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by klubhed1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, the other day i got the pink notice in the mail for my emissions. I swapped out my test pipe for my stock cat yesterday and went to take the test this morning. They didnt put it on the rollers b/c the car is too low, so all they did was test at idle and rev a little. This is chicago emissions btw.

The test came back.. and limit for Hydrocarbons is 220, i was at 600. the limit for Carbon monoxide is 1.2, i was 3.4

the car is a 92 eg hatch with jdm b16, greddy header, rsr exmag catback, p72 socketed with kenji custom program for my setup, and some other goodies.

Im thinking I would pass if I just swapped out for a stock usdm ecu? would that work or does anyone have any other ideas? thanks

Modified by klubhed1 at 11:42 PM 1/26/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

i just went to a state ref and failed also. my numbers were very similar to yours. im running a chipped p28 with gsr motor in my eg and im going to put in a 94 gsr usdm ecu. im pretty sure that will help me pass along with some denatured alcohol and other little things.

btw where can i buy denatured alcohol?

Quick Reply: Well... I failed my Emissions test baddd