Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Weird whitish sludge in the radiator cap area.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird whitish sludge in the radiator cap area.

Hey guys okay here is the story. Today I complete flushed my coolant. Out of the radiator and out of the block.

I put in the new coolant.. a 70/30 mixture about... Okay let me tell you that this is the first time I (ME, duno about previous owner) have flushed the system completely. I never even knew about that bolt on the block that releases a buncha fluid.

Well anyways, I filled up the resivour to max. Started the car and closed the cap. I also bled the system, which was weird because not very many bubbles came out. So i let the car warm up and like 40 minutes later after I turned off the car, I took the radiator cap off to see the fluid level and I see a bunch of this nasty sludgy whitish/greenish crap. The texture was kind of like a really watery hair gel and it was clumpy.

Anyway I dont know what the **** is going on... What is this stuff?? I thought maybe i had a blown head gasket but I got 180 across on all cylinders.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Weird whitish sludge in the radiator cap area. (Plugg'd)

Flush it again and see if it comes back.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:21 PM

blown head gasket doesn't really mean low compression....the head gasket could be blown between a coolant jacket and oil supply line, that wouldn't justify low compression...it just might be a blown head gasket....
Old 06-23-2005, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird whitish sludge in the radiator cap area. (txspeedfreak)

I have heard something about it being mineral deposits from using tap water. (I used hose water). Do you think that could be it?

Another thing is this has never happened before. This is the first time I flushed the block because i never knew that bolt exhisted until reading the helms. I got this motor from a guy who put it in storage for some time. Its out of a 92si.

Could this have something to do with this being the first time i have flushed the motor (the right way) ?

Also I have been having a slight sputtering problem. And my motor getting hung up around 1500 rpm.. coudl this relate to that problem at all?
Old 06-23-2005, 09:41 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chowmien &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Flush it again and see if it comes back.</TD></TR></TABLE>

agree whith chowmien....

but, before you flush it again...check your oil cap and dip stick for the same sludge, it might look more brownish than green, but it will still be milky...if you don't find any indications of fluids mixing, then try to flush again....

as per the sputtering...it could either be an ignition problem or a sensor is going crazy...(maybe o2). check or replace your distributor cap, rotor, wires and plugs...
ask around and maybe borrow someone else's distributor with their cap, rotor, and wires just to eliminate yours....

after that....check your tps sensor, and your o2 sensor....

anyone else with advise??
Old 06-23-2005, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man!

[does not pertain to this thread. but my ignition thread]
I will look into those things. I just spent 80 bux on some OEM spark plug wires, 40 bux on a cap and rotor.. Basically I could buy another z6 for all this money! lol. I'm not giving up though.

Just wondering. On the 92 si's there is only 1 o2 sensor on the exhaust mani right?

Oh yeah another thign is. I'm running rich. I can tell because when I take my car up to around 5-6krpm there is a dark grayish smoking coming out. Could that contribute to something? like messing up a sensor? The weird thing is i set my ignition timing 16* @ 650rpm and it's running rich. What other things can contribute to running rich?
Old 06-23-2005, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Plugg’d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks man!

[does not pertain to this thread. but my ignition thread]
I will look into those things. I just spent 80 bux on some OEM spark plug wires, 40 bux on a cap and rotor.. Basically I could buy another z6 for all this money! lol. I'm not giving up though.

Just wondering. On the 92 si's there is only 1 o2 sensor on the exhaust mani right?

Oh yeah another thign is. I'm running rich. I can tell because when I take my car up to around 5-6krpm there is a dark grayish smoking coming out. Could that contribute to something? like messing up a sensor? The weird thing is i set my ignition timing 16* @ 650rpm and it's running rich. What other things can contribute to running rich?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes.

Your O2 sensor is finished. Your running rich, because it can't read your a/f ratio and adjust it.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Weird whitish sludge in the radiator cap area. (Bond)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes.

Your O2 sensor is finished. Your running rich, because it can't read your a/f ratio and adjust it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

agree...

good luck!!
Old 06-24-2005, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird whitish sludge in the radiator cap area. (txspeedfreak)

when flushing coolant, you might want to think about taking the thermostat out..

the car will never get warm, or overheat, but it would let the water flow increase and hopefully get all the crud out of the hard to reach places.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you wasted the 80 bucks on oem spark plugs. Honestly. You can get NGK's from napa or autozone for WAY cheaper. My .02.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1995Ex_Sedan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1995Ex_Sedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think you wasted the 80 bucks on oem spark plugs. Honestly. You can get NGK's from napa or autozone for WAY cheaper. My .02.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Before I went out and bought the wires I read on the forums and saw a lot of oem&gt;ngk in some posts... Oh well though.