Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Weird trick to starting, just bought the car, please help

Old 02-26-2012, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird trick to starting, just bought the car, please help

Okay so I just bought a del sol from a guy off craigslist. It has some mods to it done makeshift and it's kind of molested in all sorts of ways I don't understand.

My main problem is the way it starts. He showed me the "trick" to starting it and I did it three times in a row before I bought it from him to make sure I could. But now I can't seem to do it. My boyfriend can do it every time but I can't seem to. It worries me because if I were to stall the car or something I wouldn't be able to turn it back on.

So if anyone could tell me what this sounds like to them or ANY insight on what causes it I would really appreciate it. Because I don't know how I will go about fixing it if I don't know what is causing it.

**Here's what it does, in the best way I can even begin to explain it.

When I turn the key, like you would a normal car, it turns on, the engine starts, but when I let the key go as you normally would once the engine cuts on, it just turns off.

The trick to keeping it on is turning it over, then after a second, turning the key back and forward again. Kind of like "flicking" the key back then forward, and you have to have the right timing for it to work. Which is the part I can't seem to do/feel comfortable having to do.

The guy may have said it was some kind of "sure start" or something installed in the car but that sounds like bullshit to me.

Also there is a weird plastic blue button that comes out of where my emergency brake is, that I'm scared to touch. Any idea what that is?

Sorry I'm not really good at this stuff. Like I said any kind of ideas at all will help.

?!
Old 02-26-2012, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: On the road...generally in the central United States...
Default Re: Weird trick to starting, just bought the car, please help

Sounds like it might have some sort of "Pass Time" device installed, or a really screwed up ignition switch or wiring job!

A Pass Time device is something used by many 'Buy here-Pay here' used car lots, and it is installed to ensure prompt payment. In short, it's a device that requires a code to be entered either weekly or monthly in order for the vehicle to start. There are several variations on them, but the units we installed at the dealership I worked at required that you turn the key to the 'On' position and wait a few seconds till you heard an audible chirp. Then, assuming your Pass Code was current, you could go ahead and start the vehicle. If your Pass Code was expired, you had to obtain a new code from the dealer (provided upon payment), and enter it on a thin, hand-held keypad.

Once the cars were paid off, the customer could elect to have the device removed and then start the vehicle in a normal manner, or leave the device installed with a permanent default Pass Code for a small measure of security. (If anyone attempts to start the vehicle without pausing to wait for the chirp, it will not start, and a default code will need to be re-entered).

Probably in your case, though...it's just a bad wiring job or a bad ignition switch...but I mentioned the Pass Time device just because there is a possibility that there could be such a unit on your car. Best to ask the previous owner about it, or have it checked out at a shop that knows about car electronics and security systems.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Replace the electrical part of the ignition switch. You can buy this part on eBay. The Honda dealer doesn't generally carry it.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I appreciate it, I had no idea they had those? Makes me wonder if buying this car was a realllly bad idea haha :D Exactly what I was looking for, just the possibilities of what it could be. Thanks

I'm researching this pass time device right now, and how to find it to see if I have it. My car DOES make a chirp/ding noise from I don't even know where when I am trying to start it so maybe that's what it is. I'll be needing someone to look at my electronics anyways, there's wires EVERYWHERE and I really only want the wiring I need and my system wiring, all this makeshift stuff everywhere makes me realllly nervous to mess with it
Old 02-26-2012, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: On the road...generally in the central United States...

Determining if you have a Pass Time or similar device can be a little tricky, depending on the technician who installed the unit. We had a few different techs who installed them where I worked, and each one had a little different method. For best results, you want to 'hide' the unit as best as possible, and make it tamper-resistant. Our best tech did a very neat and thorough job, tucking the box way up under the dash and wrapping all wires with several layers of electrical tape. Other technicians were a little sloppier and left the units hanging from a rat's nest of wires under the dash, with gobs of tape and shrink-wrap covering the connections.

You'd be looking for a small, black plastic box wired in to the ignition switch harness. It'll have a couple small holes in it for the speaker to emit the chirping sound. Other brands may be different, but the ones I'm familiar with looked just like something you'd expect to see as part of a car alarm or other vehicle security system.

From what you describe, it's difficult to tell what's going on...other than I'm sure that someone has butchered your wiring! Whether or not they did it to install or remove a security device is impossible to determine without seeing the vehicle, but hopefully you've got a few ideas now to point you in the right direction. I would get this car to a competent automotive wiring technician as soon as possible if I were you, though!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like the same thing i encountered on my 93 Del sol Si. i have to align it after i start it so all my accessories come on and then pull it out a little and it will wedge there. i just don't have the money to fix mine right now and it works fine.

basically you need a new ignition switch
Old 02-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Once I saw the thread title I had a funny feeling I knew the problem because I just went through it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/92-93-94-95-...item45ec6097cd

I'm 100% confident that is your problem but don't quote me on that .
Your ignition switch contacts are dirty. Gotta clean them or replace the switch. I cleaned them and it didn't work for me. I ended up going to a junkyard and pulling one and that finally worked!

It is a pretty simple job, requiring few tools. Screw driver, a few sockets ( 1/4 drive is sufficient)

This is a diy replacement. The hard part is finding one. Parts stores want to sell you the whole thing for $250, and when Honduh touches it, it costs $300!

Ok so to get to it you have to pull atleast the cover behind the steering wheel where the key goes into.

That has 4 screws on the bottom, then the cover pops apart. Dont ask me how to get the panel off without breaking it, as i do not know

After that you will see out of the LEFT side of the ignition cylinder (left side, exact opposite of where the key goes in on the right ) its got that white circle thing. That has 2 screws on that portion, then a tiny little nub that screws on by the key. The little nub doesnt like coming out, but just use something to pry on it gently or give it a tap or yank.

You will likely have to remove the lower kick panel under the steering wheel to get to the wiring. They are just connectors, but they are anchored with zip tie/securing anchor things. annoying.

I went to a junkyard and got one for $8. I should have gotten a few and ebayed them because the ones on ebay are some random stuff.

Hopefully that helps. Its a cheap fix if you have a junkyard nearby.

Obviously once you plug the switch in, test it and drive around with it because if you put it all back together without testing it, it will consequently not work because its 20°F out and super windy, you do stupid things without thinking. ;P
Old 02-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I spent some time out there. Didn't find anything resembling a pass time. Actually managed to get it started and I kind of know the trick now. So it's not ALL bad. It's just sketchy. So yeah I'm going to say this one is a wiring problem.

So you're thinking it's just the ignition switch wiring huh? I really hope you're right because that sounds wayyy better than all the horrible things I was imagining I'll try cleaning them tomorrow, if not I'll get some new ones. Thank you for the link, too. There are absolutely NO junkyards with del sols anywhere in my area. I live in Atlanta, doesn't make sense not being able to find any sols being parted out, but 29$ isn't bad at all.

Man I really do appreciate you guy's input more than you know, I see this del sol giving me a lot of problems in my mission to make her clean and working properly, you'll probably see a lot of my questions unfortunately
Old 02-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ACYprelude
I see this del sol giving me a lot of problems in my mission to make her clean and working properly, you'll probably see a lot of my questions unfortunately
What'd you buy it for?
Old 02-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You bought a car that you had to learn a trick to start?

I hope you either got a amazing deal, or....you must LOVE del sols.

Hope you fix your problem either way...
Old 02-26-2012, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Because I own a few cars I'm bored with. Sold my 5th gen lude to some guy for wayyy too much, I don't think he minded because he was ..let's say, ecstatic about it. Wanted a project or something to mess with. The del sol I snagged for 500 dollars, it runs, only has 131k miles, and the body is near perfect. Just needs a little love mechanically. As far as buying a car that I needed to learn a trick for, well I did it three times in a row before I bought it. No problem. But then the next day I couldn't. But yeah it's something to do. I like messing with cars. I can figure out almost anything else, but wiring and electrical s*** just.. freaks me out. I have no knowledge on that stuff.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No no no you can buy one from any eg, I pulled one from a 4dr and put it in my coupe.

This is the easiest fix, I took off my STEERING WHEEL like an idiot, only to find out you don't have to.

Pop the cover off and you will see.

Oah and here is more linky action, and maybe good news?
Your solution is to decide whether to troubleshoot, repair, replace or contact your local Honda dealer for a free replacement, if applicable. A few people have successfully received a free replacement even though their vehicle were not covered in the recall (but don't quote us on that.) To troubleshoot, repair or replace follow the steps below. If you can't decide then we suggest that you replace the electrical switch if your symptoms fit the descriptions.
http://techauto.awardspace.com/ignitionswitch.html
http://techauto.awardspace.com/ignit...ch.html#Repair
shows you the dirty contact points
Skills required: Must know how to crack a walnut in two pieces, eat the center and handle cleaning chemicals.
BOOM
^ its tricky but then you see how it works, and your like 'OAH'