Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

weird timing problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird timing problem

Just did the head gasket on my B18c1 and about a week later fixed the timing with a timing light. It was off slightly so we lined everything up. I drove the car the next morning and had NO power. At 60 in 5th gear i would floor it and would be losing speed. I advanced the timing a little and now the car seems to run fine. Unfortunately, i no longer have the timing light to see how far the timing is off. Can this cause a problem? Car idles fine, runs like it should, feels great. What could cause this?
Old 06-01-2004, 11:21 PM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: weird timing problem (JapTendencies)

you kinda answered yourself. get a timing light theyre like 30 bucks and check it out.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weird timing problem (IVI)

Like i said in my original post, I timed the car with a timing light and it had no power at all. Once i advanced the timing a little bit it feels perfect, exactly like it did before the head gasket isntall.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

DId you time it with the engine running at normal temp?

also did you jumper the plug to put the ecu in null mode?
Old 06-02-2004, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weird timing problem (BatuKing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BatuKing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DId you time it with the engine running at normal temp?

also did you jumper the plug to put the ecu in null mode?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Engine was running for about 5 minutes before we timed it.

Jumper the plug? Not sure what you mean by that? This was the first time I have timed a car. My buddies basically did it showing me what to do. They tore apart and rebuilt two b series motors and timed each with a timing light. I would think they know what they were doing....I hope.....lol
Old 06-02-2004, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

everyone can make a mistake, don't assume your buddies are right. get a timing light and return the timing to stock settings as per service manual. ECU controls timing, that's why you have to put it in null mode.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bbarbulo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bbarbulo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">everyone can make a mistake, don't assume your buddies are right. get a timing light and return the timing to stock settings as per service manual. ECU controls timing, that's why you have to put it in null mode.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would if I had a GSR service manual....lol. Is it much different than a d16(the motor that was in the car)?

And I didnt totally assume they were right. I looked at the timing light and the marks and they appeared right. Just not sure if it was in null mode or not. I'm sure they know how to do it, but for my own sake, how do you do it?
Old 06-02-2004, 02:14 PM

if it's WORKING
don't fix it
Old 06-02-2004, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weird timing problem (Daniel_san)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daniel_san &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if it's WORKING
don't fix it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the worthless reply. Last thing i want here is my car being a running time bomb.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like others have had said, get or rent a timing gun. guessing won't solve the problem here. for the lack of power at 5th gear, well 5th gear isn't a really "get up and go" gear to use to figure if you have power or not. btw get this: http://www.helminc.com it will save you the time and money on guessing your problem here.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weird timing problem (sleeperciv)

I dont think every one is getting what I am saying. We lined the timing up with a timing gun. After that I had no power. I then advanced the timing a little bit and it seems to run fine. I dont need to know where my timing is set at, I know it's advanced. I need to know what could possibly cause a car to have no power when timed right, but run fine when advanced a little.

Also, as far as the no power in 5th gear. I know my car well. When I cant go up a hill in second gear at 10mph, there is something wrong. And when I floor it in 5th doing 60 and i lose speed, there is also something wrong.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JapTendencies &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont think every one is getting what I am saying. We lined the timing up with a timing gun. After that I had no power. I then advanced the timing a little bit and it seems to run fine. I dont need to know where my timing is set at, I know it's advanced. I need to know what could possibly cause a car to have no power when timed right, but run fine when advanced a little.

Also, as far as the no power in 5th gear. I know my car well. When I cant go up a hill in second gear at 10mph, there is something wrong. And when I floor it in 5th doing 60 and i lose speed, there is also something wrong.</TD></TR></TABLE>

then I pointing to the ignition system. get this it will help you ALOT: http://www.helminc.com
Old 06-03-2004, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weird timing problem (sleeperciv)

thanks for the lead.