Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

weird AT shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird AT shifting problem

My car has a lot of miles on it and the tranny kept slipping, so I went and replaced it with one with about 60k. This one though, after long freeway trips, is REALLY sluggish to accellerate.. The old one also had that problem but it was worse than that. Is there anything that can be done to alieviate it? What's going on here? any ideas?
Old 01-27-2004, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weird AT shifting problem (civicmon)

If you replace the tranny but the car still accelerates sluggishly then the problem isn't in the tranny. I used to have that kind of problem on my car and everyone quickly told me to replace the tranny, but little did they know that that the tranny was working fine. Anyhow turns out that the timing on the cam and distrubior were off. A little cleaing on the ground cable contacts improved performance as well.

When you replaced your tranny did you replace the torque convertor as well? A malfunctioning torque convertor can cause sluggish acceleration as well.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weird AT shifting problem (Spartanic)

I halfheartedly realize that the shifting problem isn't the tranny entirely, thought it maybe a control within it.

It did do it before I replaced the old tranny. The old tranny had to go, it was slipping so bad, so I didn't waste my money in that as the new tranny runs considerably better, but this problem still persists. Torque converter was replaced but its the same thing.

Timing... I'll have to take a look at that this weekend then..seems really logical when I think about it. guess the heat expansion makes a major difference.

Any other possible suggestions that I can investigate and try to clear it all out.