Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

WEIRD PROBLEMS: RPM drop when coming to stops & lights brighten and dim at night

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 WEIRD PROBLEMS: RPM drop when coming to stops & lights brighten and dim at night

I noticed this a few days ago, when Im driving at night my headlights will randomly get bright then dim while driving almost as if im flashing my brights at someone.

Its very noticeable when I let off the gas. Like when I am climbing the RPM the lights are dim, then when I push the clutch in to shift and the RPM drops the lights get bright. Its weird.

I was thinking alternator but with a bad alternator wouldnt the opposite happen? Wouldnt the lights get bright when I give it gas then dim when letting off it?

Anyways, heres what Ive done so far:

-Replaced all spark plugs and wires (OEM)
-Cleaned out IACV
-Cleaned out the throttle body
-Tightened alternator belt
-Checked all fuses, none blown

Last edited by AsianCivicRider; 12-07-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WEIRD PROBLEMS: RPM drop when coming to stops & lights brighten and dim at night

Also forgot to mention, I went to Advanced Auto to have my battery and alternator checked, they said the battery was good but the alternator was only pushing out 47 amps.

And its a 2000 Civic EX..
Old 11-09-2011, 03:40 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: WEIRD PROBLEMS: RPM drop when coming to stops & lights brighten and dim at night

SO replace the alternator.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

+1 on the alt, but i dont know how they can test how many amps it was pushing usually they test for voltage anything under 13.2-12.8v i would replace the alt. good luck
Old 11-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I plan on replacing the alt., I just have this feeling that it won't fix anything.

Anyone else experience these type of symptoms?
Old 11-09-2011, 08:21 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes. That's why you are being told to swap it out out. If you are planning to do this anyway then what is the issue?

You have a feeling? I don't go on feelings. Do some real troubleshooting.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

True, but where my feeling comes from is that in all the threads I've read regarding alternators going bad the headlights brighten on throttle and dim when letting off, while my case is the opposite, and I dont want to throw parts at the car (too costly).

It only happens when its warmed up.

Last edited by AsianCivicRider; 12-07-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If your alternator tested bad. I would just replace it. Atleast you know the alternator for sure is bad. If u don't want to replace the whole unit. Just rebuild it, its cheap. If the problem persist, then look for another diagnosis. And if you find other defective parts during your search, replace those too.

its better to replace worn broken parts before your car completely dies and leaves you stuck in the middle of the road
Old 11-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by AsianCivicRider
Im having this issue where when I come to a stop as I push the clutch in the RPM will drop quite low like to 400-500 then recover to normal idle. Doesnt happen when Im just sitting parked in neutral and give it gas. When I do that it just drops straight back to the normal idle speed.

Also, I noticed this a few days ago, when Im driving at night my headlights will randomly get bright then dim while driving almost as if im flashing my brights at someone.

Its very noticeable when I let off the gas. Like when I am climbing the RPM the lights are dim, then when I push the clutch in to shift and the RPM drops the lights get bright. Its weird.

I was thinking alternator but with a bad alternator wouldnt the opposite happen? Wouldnt the lights get bright when I give it gas then dim when letting off it?

Anyways, heres what Ive done so far:

-Replaced all spark plugs and wires (OEM)
-Cleaned out IACV
-Cleaned out the throttle body
-Tightened alternator belt
-Checked all fuses, none blown

Could it be a bad ground connection? And if so, where are all the grounds located?? I can only see the one from the battery.
Definitely ground you have battery< then on the valve cover to headlight crossmember< tranny ground and ecu
Old 11-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by milkwasabadidea
If your alternator tested bad. I would just replace it. Atleast you know the alternator for sure is bad. If u don't want to replace the whole unit. Just rebuild it, its cheap. If the problem persist, then look for another diagnosis. And if you find other defective parts during your search, replace those too.

its better to replace worn broken parts before your car completely dies and leaves you stuck in the middle of the road
the alternator could be an issue but if it was toast as soon as u turn your car off the car would not restart_ I personally think the ground especially when you do a swap ..>I know it might sound crazy but sometimes you have to add more grounds on top of ones already there one by your ecu under passenger carpet theres a ground for it one right on your valve cover and also one on your tranny but i would put another on valve cover re do ur battery ground and make sure its touching bare metal for a good connection and if that doesn't work test your battery