Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Weird problems with the hatch...anyone know a mechanic in bayarea?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird problems with the hatch...anyone know a mechanic in bayarea?

ok, recently I bought a 93 hatchback dx. I knew there were problems with the car in the begining, the axles needed to be replaced, the steering wheel would jerk to the left making the car undrivable. Well I just finished putting in a 5 lug conversion, and the steering wheel still jerks to the left but not as hard. Basically, now the car is driveable but not for a daily.

The guy that put my 5 lug on the car told me I needed to replace the cat in the muffler, so I can get that done. The main problem is the steering wheel. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem before, the jerk to the left usually happens when I step on the gas. But when I let go of the gas the jerks to the left stop.

When I turn the car to the left it doesn't make a clicking noise, but when I turn it to the right with the steering wheel all the way turned it makes a clicking noise. I don't think it could be the axle since I just replaced the axle when doing the 5 lug conversion.

Any help would be appreciated, if anyone knows a mechanic in the bayarea preferably in the north bay since I don't want to take a chance of getting in a wreck or anything. Suggestions would be appreciated as well, thanks.

I have an appointment at my local honda dealer on monday, just in case you guys think thats the better way to go.

TIA
Old 04-24-2004, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird problems with the hatch...anyone know a mechanic in bayarea? (98cwtypeR)

is a real bad jerk to the left? you can try getting the car alligned, if that doesnt solve the problem , i am almost certain that its your steering rack.

as for what mechanic, depending on where you live, you can go to Steves Auto in Oakland(im not in no way promoting this shop). you can ask for luke, or even steve himself. they are really kool pple

steve's auto
2400 e 12th st
oakland ca 94606

510-261-6188
Old 04-24-2004, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird problems with the hatch...anyone know a mechanic in bayarea? (DOHCtorTHRUST)

ok, thanks. I'll probably give them a call on monday. Others with places please list. thanks
Old 04-24-2004, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if its not ur alignment check all ur suspension parts they might be bent
Old 04-25-2004, 12:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird problems with the hatch...anyone know a mechanic in bayarea? (98cwtypeR)

First off,
The jerking as you accelerate is caused by your front lower control arm bushings. I am 99.9% sure that that is causing your car to jerk to the left because I had the same problem. All you need to do is take off the LCA and look at the bushings. Mine was doing the same thing ( jerking to the left) and it was the right LCA bushing that was totally beat.

Second,
did you change both axles or just the passenger side, cause it sounds like it might be the driver side that is clicking if you are turning to the right and hearing it. Hope this helps!
Old 04-25-2004, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird problems with the hatch...anyone know a mechanic in bayarea? (EG6 SiR)

oic i see, I think he just changed the passenger side. He said I had one of them right and one of them wrong...(female or male, I'll have to double check on that).

With the bushings being messed up, would that have been replaced during the 5 lug or is that left alone? If it was left alone then that might be something to look into, but if its changed then I don't think its the problem, because when I bought the car it jerked really hard to the left all the time when I stepped on the throttle.

But after the 5 lug I still feel it, but its about 80% better.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:06 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

lift up your car and try to push the wheel in and out with your hands. First from the bottom then from the top. If there is movement I recomend just replacing all the bushings. Also if you wheel moves right and left instead of side to side then it's prolly your tie rods. Check rack and pinion bushings too. Just incase check if your motor mounts look okay.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird problems with the hatch...anyone know a mechanic in bayarea? (ABK)

ok will do, ill let you guys know whats up.