Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Weird Problem when starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Problem when starting

All,

I've run in to a very strange problem with my 99 Civic EX. I recently got a flat tire on one of the front ones. I didn't notice when i got in my car, so I went to back out in reverse and as I let off the clutch, it wouldnt move, I gave it more gas, nothing and it stalled. I was lazy and didnt gas\clutch right, so I went to restart and it wouldn't. I tried several other times and it turned over very slowly about 10 times until itfinally started. I tried backing out again but it wouldnt so I finally got out and noticed the flat tire. Worried about my battery\starter I tried starting the car again and it started fine. I had to wait the next day to change the tire, so when i got to my car i tried starting it again,and it was fine. After I changed my tire, the car had problems starting again. It started eventually, but after turning over slowly a few times. It seems every time any kind of hard torque was applied to the wheels, it had trouble starting. (when in reverse with flat and when applying force to remove lug nuts). What could be the problem?? Bad battery? Starter? Alternator?? Nobody seems to know the answer, please help!! Thanks!
Old 04-03-2005, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Weird Problem when starting (matthelin)

check the starter draw and do a battery load test.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Weird Problem when starting (BatuKing)

It almost sounds like there's an accessory that's binding. When I replaced the auto tranny in my 88 LS, I hadn't thought that the alternator would have froze, nor that the shifting cable was freyd so badly.

When I first tried starting it (sat for the winter), not only did it have to spin a belt over a frozen pully, but it had to do so with the car in first gear. The shifter showed park, but the cable was so freyed that it was really in 1st. Cranked over sooo slow. Got it started, and soon it threw the belt

Anyways, I'd check the PS pump and althernator to see if they are turned (or that the ac compressor is stuck enguaged). Hope you can figure it out.