Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Weird noise coming from driver side wheel area? Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird noise coming from driver side wheel area? Need help!

I have this really weird noise on my driver side. When weight of the car shifts forward or backward, it sounds like something is coming out from a joint then back in... it's one knock sound. For example: when I brake and weight moves forward, I hear a knock.

I can't figure out what the hell it is and its driving me nuts. The sound is coming from the wheel hub area. I've looked underneath and don't see anything.. no leaks, no boots torn, nothing. I really want to fix it but I can't figure out what the $#@% it is. Now my steering wheel doesn't feel as stable as before and has also began shaking when braking, which I know could be warped rotors or whatever. Need some help.. or LOTS I should say.. thanks!
Old 10-24-2006, 03:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird noise coming from driver side wheel area? Need help! (00ekcoupe)

Check the wheelbearings. One way is to jack it up, secure it tightly and grab each side of the wheel and try to move it up and down and back and forth. Another way (which I think is more reliable) is to jack it so the wheel in question is about 2-3 inches, at the most, from the ground and insert a pry-bar, a fairly lengthy one, under neath and pull up on the bar to see if there is any play. That would give you a better idea if the wheel bearing is bad because it makes it easier to move the wheel with the pry bar. I suggest this because when I had an 86 Jag, the rear wheel bearing was going and everytime I would start moving forward or backward it'd make a large "clunk" noise, similar to what you are describing, so just a thought. Hope it helps!

*EDIT* try that or possible check for a seized caliper that's releasing suddenly after some movement or enough brake pressure.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird noise coming from driver side wheel area? Need help! (bart2546)

If it is the wheel bearing, do I need any special tools or can I replace it myself?
Old 10-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird noise coming from driver side wheel area? Need help! (00ekcoupe)

Wheel bearings unless they are completely shot (falling apart ) would not cause what you are describing. Wheel bearings will start out with a grinding noise any time the car is rolling. I would look for a bad ball joint first. test it the same way bart2546 explained just look for the joint to separate a little or have play back and forth
Old 10-26-2006, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00ekcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If it is the wheel bearing, do I need any special tools or can I replace it myself?</TD></TR></TABLE>

We did wheel bearings today and it required a press.My teacher brought a junk hub and said it was from a honda so we used a press.On another junk hub it had tapered roller bearings and we took them out without.I dont kno what kind of bearings honda uses but if there not tapered youll need to press them or hammer away at it for a long *** time.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I've come to the conclusion that the problem is the upper ball joints (both sides). That's the first thing I will replace, btw I have a Skunk2 camber kit. Is there a specific S2 ball joint? Or can I use an OEM one?