Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Weird knocking while shifting

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Weird knocking while shifting

I put in in my rebuilt tranny. I also added a new clutch and flywheel. everything seems to be working fine. just a thing or two. don't know if its minor or what.

firs, when I switch to fourth gear and let go of the clutch I feel like something is knocking on the stick shift. it feels like something taps it a few times. like if something is loose or moving around in there. it happens most often when I am downshifting. its not a hard tap, but I do feel it. besides this tapping everything else feels good.

second, I also added new axles. but when I make u turns I hear a noise coming from my tires. could it be the new axles? only happens during u turns or when I turn the wheel too far to the left. any ideas on this noise?

thanks
Old 01-07-2009, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Weird knocking while shifting

forth to third lets say at 90 mph ? not sure how modded your car/motor is, but I think both your issues may be related.

check the rear motor mount if its stock the rubber is probably cracked or completely separated meaning the engine is rocking slightly in the engine bay when you lift the throttle. Such as down shifting when you blip it from fourth to third and apply the gas again the force of the motor "bounces" the trans and linkage causing the knocking sound on the shift linkage. Since the trans does not physically sit near you at the shifter you are only feeling the vibration in the linkage and shifter.

alternately this could be from wheel hop as you down shift and engage third the axle/ tire combination you have has either more bite or less traction or then is something a miss at the axle to hub connector with the axle not seating entirely 100% such as close but not really the correct axles being used due to their either minor shorter or longer length this causes binding or gaps at the CV at the hub under extreme turning. This same condition "a gap at the CV/Axle" can cause a minor delay in apply power to the wheels causing a sensation similar to wheel hop at speed.