Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Weird electrical (I'm guessing) issue in my 98 DX hatch

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird electrical (I'm guessing) issue in my 98 DX hatch

Let me start by saying that if this is posted in the wrong section, then could a moderator kindly move it to the right section? Thank you!

Ok, so I'm not exactly sure how long this has been going on, but I've only noticed it tonight so far.

I took a little road trip tonight with a buddy, about 3 and a half hours one way. On our way back, we were listening to the radio, on auxiliary, and I noticed that my gauge cluster lights looked unusually dim, as well as my headlights. It was just starting to get dark, so I thought that maybe it was all in my head. Another 20 minutes or so passed, and it was dark enough to now tell that both the gauge cluster lights and head lights were definitely unusually dim. Out of nowhere, the radio just stopped working. The auxiliary cord was still plugged into his phone and the music was still playing on his phone, but there was no volume coming from the speakers.

About 5 more minutes passed and the dash lights along with the head lights went back to normal brightness, and the radio started working again. This whole process happened about 4 separate times on our way home. I'm also not sure if it's always like this and I've never noticed it before, but the gauge cluster seemed warmer than it should to me as well. It wasn't hot enough to burn my hand, but it definitely had some warmth to it.

I'm terrible when it comes to wiring or electronics of any sort, so this is why I'm posting - to see if I can find any guidance.

Another couple pieces of information that should probably be known as well is that I just had the dashboard out about 3-4 weeks ago to change my heater core, and that I just completely rebuilt my motor from the ground up, so the motor has been pulled and put back in.

Can anybody point me in any direction that might help me?

Thanks in advance!

- DJ
Old 04-08-2016, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Weird electrical (I'm guessing) issue in my 98 DX hatch

Test the alternator, pull the CEL codes, and read this:

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/civic/x99-029e.pdf
Old 04-08-2016, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
Test the alternator, pull the CEL codes, and read this:

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/civic/x99-029e.pdf
I appreciate the response, but I don't have the factory motor in the car. It's B swapped, and I don't have the factory intake manifold bracket, and there are no CELs being thrown.

The alternator on the other hand might be worth testing, but this doesn't explain the warmth coming from the gauge cluster, does it?
Old 04-08-2016, 11:29 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Most electrical problems are ground related, so first thing is to check/redo your main ground, DO NOT just eyeball them, disconnect/clean/reconnect at the batt. at the batt. to chassis ground point and at the chassis to engine ground point, do the same with your main powers, batt. to starter motor, batt. to engine bay fuse box and alt. to engine bay fuse box, don't forget to make sure your man fuse(s) are tight. 94

Last edited by fcm; 04-08-2016 at 11:29 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-08-2016, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GSR_ITR_BOIB
I appreciate the response, but I don't have the factory motor in the car. It's B swapped, and I don't have the factory intake manifold bracket, and there are no CELs being thrown.

The alternator on the other hand might be worth testing, but this doesn't explain the warmth coming from the gauge cluster, does it?
Is fuse 15 blown? Does the cluster battery warning light turn on and stay on when key is turned to ON(II) [engine off]?
Old 04-10-2016, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not 100% positive yet, but I think the problem was that the cable connection on the alternator was loose. Since I've found this out, I've tightened it, but haven't had a chance to take it for a spin yet.