Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

weird coolant/radiator leak/problem

Old 01-30-2006, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird coolant/radiator leak/problem

alright, i'll be honest, i know nothing about radiators/coolant issues. i'll do my best to describe my problem.

i have a coolant leak, and it has gotten progressively worse. it only occurs when the system is pressurised, and seems to be exponentially worse as more throttle is added.

i can't tell where the leak is coming from, even after letting the system pressurise. the problem is right in the front, where the radiator is. coolant is all over the rad. and the front of the trans casing.

it dosent appear to be coming from either of the hoses. it looks like the leak is coming from the radiator itself? is that possible? and maybe it is hitting the fan and that is why coolant is everywhere around the radiator?

would it be a good idea to do a sysem flush and see if that fixes it? or is my radiator shot, and i need a new one altogether?

any help appreciated
Old 01-30-2006, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: weird coolant/radiator leak/problem (spoon0313)

Flushing the system would probably make it worse. Yes it is very possible that there is a hole in your rad, it happens. Usually you have to just replace the rad, even if you can patch it chances are that your rad is not in good condition and another leak will develop eventually.

It is important you pin point the leak or else you will just be randomly changing parts.

Quick fix solution: (I have heard this works but I have never done it myself) Stick pepper or a bunch of tabacco from a cigarette in your fluid, if the leak is small is should stop it. This is usually something you do when you are stuck on the road in the middle of nowhere.

Cheers.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the input...

it's what i was thinkin, need a new rad. i don't want to put anything in there to fix it..

anyone else have any input?
Old 01-30-2006, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

on second thought. F it. are there any downsides to using the radiator stop-leak ****?

i'm just going to temporarily use that untill i get a new radiator.

anyone have any recomendations on an aftermarket radiator? i will concider stock size(2000 civic) or a full size, if it will help out any. i am going turbo soon so maybe a full size is a good idea?
Old 01-30-2006, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

chances are its coming out of your coolant overflow tank.

= blown head gasket

same thing happened to me, coolant system was getting pressurized cause of HG leak and coolant was all over the tran casing, the radiator, everything.

It shoots out in every direction from that overflow cap....
Old 01-30-2006, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbotime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It shoots out in every direction from that overflow cap....</TD></TR></TABLE>

but, i have no coolant towards the front of the rad, and coolant is covering ther inside of the fan casing as well, i don't think that would be the problem. at least i hope it's not.

anyone???
Old 01-30-2006, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it will cover the inside of the fan casing too, it drips down the radiator, onto the fan, and the fan shoots it all over the inside of teh casing.

Im telling you, its your headgasket- not your radiator.

Easy to tell tho- dry everything off- Warm the car to operating temp from cold and watch the ground under it. If there is no coolant dripping, it isnt the radiator.

What are the levels in your overflow tank? it should stay about halfway full all the time. If you open the hood (After some hard driving) and it is all the way full- there is another sure sign of a blown HG. Need to check it right after the hard driving, not after it cools down!

im still betting on the headgasket, sorry bub
Old 01-30-2006, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spoon0313)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoon0313 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on second thought. F it. are there any downsides to using the radiator stop-leak ****?

i'm just going to temporarily use that untill i get a new radiator.

anyone have any recomendations on an aftermarket radiator? i will concider stock size(2000 civic) or a full size, if it will help out any. i am going turbo soon so maybe a full size is a good idea? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldn't use that stuff. If it seals the holes in your radiator, it will probably also plug the flow thru the radiator itself. I also heard that it weakens the hoses and other rubber components.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (riverside)

sounds like u got a hole in ur radio brother
Old 01-30-2006, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if it were a hole in his radiator he would leave a giant trail of coolant everywhere he went and would overheat within minutes of the tstat opening up.

It isnt your radiator
Old 01-30-2006, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spoon0313)

had the same problem i just replaced it and it stopped mine was leaking around the top and dripping down
Old 01-30-2006, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoon0313 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">seems to be exponentially worse as more throttle is added. </TD></TR></TABLE>

cause air from the cylinders is leaking into your collant system and overpressurizing it.

Now that i re-read yeah this pressure could crack your radiator but most often it is released thru the overflow tank.

Unless a rock hit ur rad and put a hole in it, or its like 20years old, then its your headgasket. Given you headgasket could have caused teh rad to bust, but in the end, you will just keep bustin radiators until u replace the HG.

But then again like i said, if your rad is 20years old and rusting or a rock hit ur rad then it may just be ur rad.

Headgaskets are cheaper than radiators.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weird coolant/radiator leak/problem (turbotime)

hm. so many things aren't ligning up. the car never overheats , maybe bc i check the coolant level every day. the coolant levels do not stay at about the halfway point at all, i am filling coolant just about every day. but, i don't ever have a trail running. there is a good amount of coolant when i park, but i'm sure that is because it sits on the splash guard and drips off. ???????????

thanks for the help
Old 01-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weird coolant/radiator leak/problem (old man neri)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by old man neri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Flushing the system would probably make it worse. Yes it is very possible that there is a hole in your rad, it happens. Usually you have to just replace the rad, even if you can patch it chances are that your rad is not in good condition and another leak will develop eventually.
It is important you pin point the leak or else you will just be randomly changing parts.

Quick fix solution: (I have heard this works but I have never done it myself) Stick pepper or a bunch of tabacco from a cigarette in your fluid, if the leak is small is should stop it. This is usually something you do when you are stuck on the road in the middle of nowhere.

Cheers. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed.

New rad time :-\
Old 01-30-2006, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoon0313 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hm. so many things aren't ligning up. the car never overheats , maybe bc i check the coolant level every day. the coolant levels do not stay at about the halfway point at all, i am filling coolant just about every day. but, i don't ever have a trail running. there is a good amount of coolant when i park, but i'm sure that is because it sits on the splash guard and drips off. ???????????

thanks for the help </TD></TR></TABLE>

weird, after u dry everything off and let it warm up to operating temps, does it start dripping again? Or only when your on it? Blowing any kinda smoke?

Your saying the overflow res is empty everytime u check it...?

If its your radiator you should see it start leaking once the tstat opens (system becomes pressurized). SO if you just have it idling from cold, it should start leaking as son as the tstat opens, and you will see it start dripping....

you can always pull the rad, plug the bottom inlet, and pressurize it with a hose through the top inlet. If water start shottin out anywhere other than the top inlet, then its ur radiator.

Otherwise its your headgasket. I'd hate to see you blow $200+ on a new radiator when it isnt teh problem.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weird coolant/radiator leak/problem (turbotime)

yea, true, i don't want to spend $200 right now if i don't have to. i think it leaks a little under the normal pressure load, but it does defiantely leak more when heavy throttle is applied.

overflow has ben at the minimum level every time i check it, and i fill it to the maximum.

how do i tell when the thermostat opens??

i cannot see the leak ever.. not even if i hold the throttle open.

no unnormal amounts of smoke come from the exhause either. (it has always smoked a little tiny bit, just bc every vtec does)
Old 01-30-2006, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would pull the radiator and pressure test it with a hose, if its cracked u will see then for sure.

Just remove the radiator, block the bottom port with ductape and some weight or something cause ductape wont be enough alone.

Attach a garden hose to the upper inlet, fill teh radiator with water and then use your hand to seal around the hose when water starts coming out the upper inlet..let water continue to flow tho...

Water will either come out the middle of the rad where your hole is or it will come out the top inlet...

if it doesnt, then your rad is good
Old 01-30-2006, 09:17 PM

i wouldnt do a system flush with copper stuff. those are just a waste of money, have someone u might know use a coolant pressure tester.... that will show u where the leak is coming from....