Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Weird Clutch Issue in First Gear Only

Old 07-09-2013, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird Clutch Issue in First Gear Only

I was sitting still in my 97 Civic, about to start in first gear. As I released the clutch, there was a metallic / grinding sound, which felt like it was resonating through the clutch pedal. I also tried in reverse, and it made the same sound. I suspected this would be the first sign of the throwout bearing going out, and I was 2,600 miles away from home. Didn’t want it to get worse and have to pay someone to pull my transmission, so I drove the 2,600 miles home. As luck would have it, on the way home it never made at noise again.

However, something different happened a few times. When I was in first gear at a stop sign, the car felt like it jumped – almost as if you took your foot off of the clutch accidently and stalled the car. Weird thing is that the car didn’t stall or move forward. Just a loud clunk. It did it a handful of times on the way home, but ALWAYS in first. Usually, it will happen when I am already in first gear, and moving forward slowly, like in stop-and-go traffic. Always happens while the clutch is fully pressed down. It happened last at a stop sign, when I was like third in line.

When I got home, I changed the clutch fluid and made sure it is now nice and clean. It didn’t make much of a difference. I just had the metallic sound happen again on the way home, while starting out in first gear. I’m confused because there seem to be conflicting symptoms. My next obvious step would be to replace the master and slave cylinders, but I don’t want to just throw parts at it unnecessarily. ALSO, not sure if this is related or not, but when I am accelerating at higher RPM’s in 2nd or 3rd gear, the sound will resonate louder / the shifter will vibrate more violently than usual. Doesn’t happen every time, either. I will check the transmission mounts, but would this cause the first problem to occur?

The clutch is not slipping at all, and like I said, it is only making the metallic sound sometimes, always in first gear. It also only clunks in first gear, while stopped, or while coming to a slow stop. Sorry for the long explanation, just trying to be as detailed as possible.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird Clutch Issue in First Gear Only

Explain this "metallic" sound.
Also check to see if your bitch pin on your shift linkage hasn't started walking out. That could contribute to stiff gears and extreme vibrations.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm, it's hard to describe. It sounds like a metal-on-metal, as if the clutch springs are rubbing against the flywheel.

Sorry, but what is the bitch pin? I have never been in that area..
Old 07-10-2013, 01:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which brand clutch is it? is it new? what the spec on the clutch? i have bought act 6 puck unsprung clutch and extreme pressure plate before and it did make a similar sound like as if the tire did a little peel out every time i left off the clutch until it fully engage, when i pull the tranny to inspect the clutch i notice that my flywheel bolt had been grind off a little bit by the clutch not sure if that was causing the noise but does look like it.

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 07-10-2013, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe it's a stock clutch - I am not sure if PO had replaced it or not. Definitely nothing fancy or aftermarket, though. I took a chance and replaced the slave and master cylinders, because it acted up on me again while at a car wash.

I was in neutral after starting the car, and tried putting it into reverse. It grinded as if I was trying to force it in reverse without using the clutch at all. I turned the car off, popped it into reverse, and figured I'd depress the clutch and start the car in reverse, to see if that would work. It actually got STUCK in reverse and wouldn't come out. Had to get out and rock the car back and forth a few times, and then it would get out of reverse. Had my girlfriend press the clutch a few times and verified the clutch fork was moving.

Started it again after this fiasco, and it worked fine. My only guess is that it was losing its hydraulic pressure for some reason, when the clutch was depressed for more than just a few seconds (ie: scooting up at a red light, at a stop sign). Maybe when my girlfriend pressed the clutch a few times, it built up the pressure in the system? It would never do it while shifting gears normally, and absolutely no slippage. Fluid was clean and full.

Anyway, got home and replace d master / slave, and took it around the neighborhood. The true test will be in the next few days, whether or not it keeps acting up. Also probably doesn't help that I just drove it cross-country for a month, and drove back from Oregon to GA in 2.5 days.. =/ And the hills of San Francisco probably didn't do it any favors!
Old 07-11-2013, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

having a similar issue in my car but it doesnt get stuck in gears or go in forcefully just sounds like my input shaft bearings r shot or something
Old 07-11-2013, 12:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ Mine wasn't hard to shift into gear at ALL, until that happened today. Has yours been going on awhile? Mine happened for the first time last Friday, and got to the point it got to earlier, today. It did sound like a throwout bearing at first, but only in 1st which is what really threw me off. Shifts smooth as butter now though..really made a large difference! Just cross your fingers that it stays that way! I REALLY didn't want to drop the transmission..did that on an '05 Kia Optima (previous car) and it SUCKED. Although, the Honda would be 10000x easier, because I had to drop the entire subframe on the Kia..laying on my back..never again.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So the problem was resolved for a day, and now it's somewhat back. A little different, though. When I am accelerating particularly hard (in 2nd and 3rd gear, mostly) the entire shifter will shake VIOLENTLY. The sound also resonates throughout the interior of the car. Do you guys think this is the clutch? I am in serious denial, because there is NO slippage whatsoever. What is this "bitch pin" that someone was talking about earlier? Is that the spring pin on the shift linkage?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes its that little pin on the shift linkage. Also check your shifter bushing and the shift linkage bushing on the transmission.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Haven't seen the suggestions that the **** linkage(s) could be bent or the possibility of bad engine/tranny mount(s)(there are possible ideas).
Old 07-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just got under the car and thoroughly checked the shift linkage itself, the bushings on the linkage, and looked under the boot for the pin, which is there. Also checked all three motor mounts (one is new, others look good), and the two smaller mounts on the sides. I'm stumped. It's been driving fine, but when I give it some gas it will vibrate. If I keep it under about 2.5k RPM, it doesn't happen. Not hard to get into any gear, and not slipping. Any advice?
Old 07-12-2013, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so the car just shakes but shifts smoothly and everything ?
Old 07-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Exactly. I had it up on jack stands because I was checking the mounts, and my buddy turned on the engine. It jumped around in the engine bay pretty good. He (and me after seeing that) think it is engine mounts at this point. They look decent, but have a good bit of play in them (especially the back one). He said his dad has a similar year Civic and it's actually experiencing the exact same symptoms right now. Can the rear motor mount be replaced without taking off the intake manifold and fuel rail? I'm thinking these worn mounts could be causing too much stress on other parts, like the shift linkage most notably.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bad mount's definitely cause what you're describing. as for simplicity of changing them out what engine I see "97 civic". there is more then likely a DIY engine mount replacement floating around. afaik you don't need to be it would make it easier imo.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I Googled it and saw some conflicting opinions. The intake doesn't need to be removed, but the question will be whether or not I will be able to get away without removing the T-bracket. From what I read, it's a pain in the *** to get off (especially working around the intake and hoses). Hopefully with a jack underneath, I'll be able to wiggle the mount out without many problems. I just ordered them now: 3 mounts - rear, transmission, and lower motor (on passenger side), because I had already replaced the driver's upper and lower mounts in the past. $51.70 shipped from RockAuto isn't bad, considering what NAPA and AutoZone want to gouge out of you.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I replaced the three remaining motor mounts, and so now all of them have been replaced. Got it on the road, gave it some substantial gas, and while I was in 2nd gear it still was vibrating. Next train of thought: could misalignment cause this? The wheel doesn't pull one way or another, BUT I did just do a cross-country road trip and spent a good amount of time on dirt / rutted forest roads.

BTW, I was able to replace that back mount without removing the T-bracket. I moved the canister out of the way, and removed one 10mm bolt that was holding some small bracket in place, and had enough room to get to all three bolts.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

slave cylinder or input shaft bearing?
Old 07-17-2013, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Already replaced master and slave cylinders. I really hope it's not the input shaft bearing!! It only does it in 2nd and 3rd gear, primarily now.