Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Weird axle explanation plus questions???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 02:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird axle explanation plus questions???

About 3 weeks after putting an LS swap in my hatch I did a 4k launch and snapped my axle flush with the tranny on the passenger's side. After drilling a hole and tapping it for a bolt, I put a bolt in it, put a wrench up against the bolt, and I beat it out with a hammer. It was a real pain in the ***.

It previously had ABS axles in it, which I didn't know because my other friend put the axles in. So my buddy got me a non ABS axle. It was hard to get in the tranny so I beat the axle in. I know I put it in right and I checked it before putting it back together. I was driving on the highway and my car started jerking violently to the right. I pulled over cause I thought I had a flat tire but to our amazement I didn't. I drove it home and it made a clunking sound and jerked to the right only when I was out of the gas.

The next day I jack up the whole frontend and put it in gear. The driver's side was fine and it spun like normal, and the passenger side just moved a little at a time. I looked at the axle where it goes in the tranny and sure enough it was popped out a little bit. I didn't have an axle nut wrench so that I could fix it right then.

I proceeded to go to my garage to get the axle nut and it stopped clunking. I tore the wheel off it and there was axle grease all over the place yet the boot isn't torn at all. I decided to just let my car there and I haven't touched in cause I've been working overtime.

My questions are: Do you think it has a faulty retainer clip that's suppose to keep it in the tranny?
If I change the clip and put the axle back in do you think it would still function fine even though it lost axle grease?
Do you think the problem was caused because I have 1 ABS axle and 1 non ABS axle?
If I have to get another axle(passenger's side)...can I use on from a cable car(cause my buddy can get them cheap and he said they are the same on hydro and cable cars)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird axle explanation plus questions??? (92_VX_EG)

Wow... yet another important Honda-tech question not answered! I hope that someone will give me some good info soon cause this car is really pissing me off and I'm about to sell it. If I sell this damn hatch then I probably won't get another Honda.

Since my axle is popping out slightly... could it be a seal inside the tranny that is causing this? I seriously hope someone can help me out.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Weird axle explanation plus questions??? (92_VX_EG)

Are you sure you put it in all the way when you installed it? It took some hard jerking to get mine back in the tranny.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird axle explanation plus questions??? (EL Vap133)

yeah I'm sure.