Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

weight redux on my hatch...advice welcomed

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weight redux on my hatch...advice welcomed

93 civic cx w/d16y8
-removed ac compressor, condensor, fan and all lines and wiring under engine bay(did i miss anything else that will help save weight)????~42lbs
-removing rear bumper suport and replacing with benen strong bar~35lbs
-remove rear and pass seats when at track~45-50lbs
now?????'s
i heard that the ek's have a rear seat brace in 3 pieces when taken off and it weighs nearly ~20lbs when removed. any idea if the eg or eh's have them?? if we do have them where are they so i can remove it..

also, anyone heard of speed glass? some on e was talking about it earlier. they said it was made of lexan but much cheaper than FAL window kits. does anyone know where to get lexan and cut as well??

i am just looking to save some more weight~like 100lbs more at least.. mst ideas entertained
Old 07-26-2003, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weight redux on my hatch...advice welcomed (mycvc8u2)

get a lightweight battery, sound deadening material.....
Old 07-26-2003, 04:49 AM

Default Re: weight redux on my hatch...advice welcomed (im_poor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by im_poor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get a lightweight battery, sound deadening material.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

forgot-i have a honda goldwing battery
Old 07-26-2003, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get out the grinder and body saw and start removing the insides of the doors and rear quarters, remove the dash, remove fuel tank and run a fuel cell. But I would recommend a roll cage and this would definitely not be a street legal combo
Old 07-26-2003, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weight redux on my hatch...advice welcomed (hatchdrvr)

http://mycvc8u2.tripod.com//si....jpeg

- Remove that middle wing
- Get 15s, those thing must weigh a good amount
- Get stock tails, altezzas have more plastic in them and therefore weigh more
- Ditch the body kit or whatever is adding all that plastic, it's unnecessary and will loikely increase the drag coefficient of the car
- Ditch the "rollbar," it doesn't looks like it'd offer any protection.

Modified by JMU1337 at 2:00 PM 7/26/2003
Old 07-26-2003, 09:49 AM

Default Re: weight redux on my hatch...advice welcomed (JMU1337)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JMU1337 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

- Remove that middle wing
- Get 15s, those thing must weigh a good amount
- Get stock tails, altezzas have more plastic in them and therefore weigh more
- Ditch the body kit or whatever is adding all that plastic, it's unnecessary and will loikely increase the drag coefficient of the car
- Ditch the "rollbar," it doesn't looks like it'd offer any protection.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude, read the rest of the sig-that car has been gone for like 2 years.. and at the track with my slicks that car ran 13.4's , and i wasn't worried about weight in that car~1900lbs.. why are people ********?

Modified by mycvc8u2 at 7:42 PM 7/26/2003
Old 07-26-2003, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How was he being an *******??

You asked a question and he was aswering it. Give him a break, he looked at the wrong car.
Old 07-26-2003, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weight redux on my hatch...advice welcomed (joe_bocc)

If you want to reduce more weight, get Lexan windows. They weigh a lot less than glass, but they do scratch easy so you would have to be careful.

Another thing you could get is a fiberglass or carbon fiber hood and/or hatch door.
Old 07-26-2003, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weight redux on my hatch...advice welcomed (joe_bocc)

This should help

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...=2996
Old 07-26-2003, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mycvc8u2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">93 civic cx w/d16y8
-removed ac compressor, condensor, fan and all lines and wiring under engine bay(did i miss anything else that will help save weight)????~42lbs
-removing rear bumper suport and replacing with benen strong bar~35lbs
-remove rear and pass seats when at track~45-50lbs
now?????'s
i heard that the ek's have a rear seat brace in 3 pieces when taken off and it weighs nearly ~20lbs when removed. any idea if the eg or eh's have them?? if we do have them where are they so i can remove it..

also, anyone heard of speed glass? some on e was talking about it earlier. they said it was made of lexan but much cheaper than FAL window kits. does anyone know where to get lexan and cut as well??

i am just looking to save some more weight~like 100lbs more at least.. mst ideas entertained </TD></TR></TABLE>

????? Rear Bumper support only weighs 15.5 lbs!!!!! The pass and rear seat ARE NOT45-50lbs!!!!

Look man this is what you do. I have a 92 VX hatch so this is what I did.

Get a C.F hood; Vis=16lbs,Fiber Images=12, and Benen=4lbs(but benen isn't making them right now). Your stock hood weighs 31.5lbs
Next take the Bumper support off. It weighs 15.5lbs. Replace with a Benen strong bar(3lbs). Third Take you factory Steering wheel(9lbs with air bag) and side view mirrors(2.5lbs each) off and relpace them with aftermarket ones i.e Momo or Sparco steering wheel and Spoon replica mirrors. Next take your talegate off and get the C.F Vis one. Stock one???? But not more than 15-20lbs and the Vis one weighs in about 6lbs. Then get a light weight battery from http://www.surplusev.com=11.5lbs. Your stock one weighs about 31lbs according to B18C5-EH2(Tom). Oh you have a metal piece under your steering wheel that covers up some wires. Go ahead and take that off too it only weighs 3.5lbs but it's taking weight off nevertheless.

Get the FAL lexan windows. Just the hatch window though b/c the side quater panel windows weigh nothing stock, but the hatch window weighs between 12-18lbs. I have personally weighed all of these parts EXCEPT the tailgate and the hatch window but Tom told me how much so I'm telling you.

Don't get caught up with people telling you that your ******* back window weighs 30lbs and your rear bumper support weighs 35lbs or your damn hood weighing 50lbs. That's ******* ridiculus. If you don't believe me then take the parts off yourself and weigh them and I GUARENTEE I'M RIGHT. You can use a simple bathroom scale. Weight is weight. Check them out. Oh and I HOPE some DUMBASS told you that our pass and back seats weighs 45-50lbs and you didn't come up with that yourself.

Think about it
Old 07-26-2003, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weight redux on my hatch...advice welcomed (112480)

Oh what did my car weigh at the track???? I don't know yet b/c I haven't took it since I replace my parts. I will tell you that before I took ANYTHING OFF OR OUT OF THE CAR, it weighed 2035 with a FULL TANK OF GAS!!!!!! Good uh??? The honda books have the 92 vx weighing in at 2094, but that's B.S unless the track scale was wrong and I SERIOUSLY doubt that. I weighed myself just to make sure.

Oh one more thing I didn't weigh the car with the right amount of gas in it either....remember I was on a full tank. A gallon of gas or any soft liquid weighs 4lbs a gallon(get a gallon of water and put it on the scale and see for yourself) so I had over 10..about 11.5(I just filled up before I went to the trackb/c I was not racing anyway).

Let's say I just had 10 gallons flat that's 40lbs which I had more so........2035-40lbs=1995lbs!!!!!!

I'm going to the track soon to weigh it again. I have to get the Vis C.F tailgate, the 11.5lbs battery from surplusev.com and the FAL Lexan window before I go.

What do I think it will weigh????????? I'm "HOPEING" it will weigh around 1910-1930lbs!!!!
Old 07-26-2003, 03:27 PM

Default Re: weight redux on my hatch...advice welcomed (Black HB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Black HB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This should help

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...=2996</TD></TR></TABLE>
LOL!!
Old 07-26-2003, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2094... for a 92 VX hatch? seems off to me as well.

however consumer guide says "2108" for hatchback....

makes me wonder...

-Sketch
Old 07-26-2003, 03:31 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep your car safe bro.

The Benen "strong bar" is not a replacement for a bumper support by any means. It goes on the inside of the hatch like the stock ITR bar.

You don't need to go too crazy with the weight reduction unless it's a true race car. Be comfortable and have fun.
Old 07-26-2003, 03:35 PM

112480-not to argue but i just took oout a whole bunch of **** less than an hour ago. i finally removed the rear support, i will weigh it tomorrow. but i know for a fact that the pass seat weighs 31lbs and the rears(top half) weigh near 20lbs-so there is where my 45-50lbs comes from. but anyways-i finished removing the evaporator and gutting the housing so i still have heat in the winter. i am running a lightweight battery too.

but let me ask you, do you know if the eg,eh's have a 3 piece brace for the rear seat like the ek's do?? just wondering

i have cf fenders that will be here tuesday on airborne express and my cf hood is coming next week from my house in jersey. my cousin is bringing it down from my old car.

thanks for your input 112480.. i appreciate it..
Old 07-26-2003, 03:36 PM

Default Re: weight redux on my hatch...advice welcomed (Sketch_hs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sketch_hs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2094... for a 92 VX hatch? seems off to me as well.

makes me wonder...

-Sketch</TD></TR></TABLE>

well vx and cx weigh the same in chiltons and haynes and honda manuals-2094
Old 07-26-2003, 04:15 PM

i think taking bumper supports is a dumb idea. when u crash u will see why is 15 pounds worth ur life. are cars are already not that safe. i guted my whole car out, but i left the bumper supports we need all the help we can get.
Old 07-26-2003, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mycvc8u2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dude, read the rest of the sig-that car has been gone for like 2 years.. and at the track with my slicks that car ran 13.4's , and i wasn't worried about weight in that car~1900lbs.. why are people ********?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wasn't being an ******* by any means, I assumed someone wouldn't have a link to their OLD car in their sig, just doesn't make sense. I gave you recommendations on what I would do to the car that I assumed was yours, my apologies for being soooo off the wall and assholish.
Old 07-26-2003, 04:27 PM

Default Re: weight redux on my hatch...advice welcomed (gezer)

remove your windshield washing system. theres about 10-15 lbs. saved.
strip the interior. &lt; only if this car is only for track. if it's for track take off the cactaliyct converter, and exhuast. your exhuast header follow into bigger pipes that come out to the side.
Old 07-26-2003, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weight redux on my hatch...advice welcomed (Kikomon)

mycvc8u2..there are no "brace bars" in the rear that I notice. Are you getting the C.F. fenders for looks or you think their lighter than stock. The stock ones are pretty light already IMO. But yea weigh whatever you like and let me know.
Old 07-26-2003, 04:37 PM

Remove the motor and trans, thats at least 300 lbs! J/K
Old 07-26-2003, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weight redux on my hatch...advice welcomed (Sketch_hs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sketch_hs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2094... for a 92 VX hatch? seems off to me as well.

makes me wonder...

-Sketch</TD></TR></TABLE>

Makes you wonder what?????
Old 07-27-2003, 12:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know about the rest of the stuff you posted but a gallon of water weighs 8 lbs. I know this for sure because I was a Volunteer Firefighter for 2 years and it was something we had to know in order to figure out pump volume. I don't know where you learned this but you might want to check your sources.

Old 07-27-2003, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weight redux on my hatch...advice welcomed (vulgar_si)

Sorry bro but YOU are wrong, go get a gallon of water and put it on the scale and it will come out to 4lbs even.

Or 64oz=1gallon. 16oz of water=1lbs
16x4=64oz(1 gallon) which=4lbs

Sorry.....but if you doubt it just get a gallon of water and put it on the scale then get back to me.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Go pickup a gallon of milk and try to tell me it is only 4 lbs. Unless 150 years of firefighting knowledge is wrong, I think you are mistaken.

The best parts is that gas probably weighs more than water. With all the additives in it I wouldn't be surprised if it weighed more than 8 lbs.

Quick Reply: weight redux on my hatch...advice welcomed