Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Weatherstripping water leak - common? easily fixable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weatherstripping water leak - common? easily fixable?

When I bought my little beater of a Civic (99dx hatch) a few months ago, the weatherstripping on the windsheild was a little lifted on the drivers side. I tried pushing it back in but it almost seems like it shrunk a bit and it will not stay. Every time it rains I get a little bit of water in the car and I'm betting that this is the cause of it.

My question is, how common is this to happen? And I thought that under the weatherstripping there was still a seal around the windshield to prevent things like this from happening. Is the weatherstripping easy to replace, or will it basically involve the same steps as replacing a windsheild? Is there any quick fixes until I get a chance to take it somewhere? Due to my work schedule, most shops are closed before I get out of work.

As you can see from the pictures, I threw a few peices of clear tape on a few weeks ago to at least slow down the leakage. I don't really care what it looks like as this is just a beater to get to and from work and although I dont dump money into it I have no problem paying whatever it costs to get this fixed as I would hate to see my floorboard start to rust because of water sitting on it.

I also cant figure out what path the water is taking to get into my car. It seems to be dripping from where my hood latch is. That part of the interior is always wet after it rains, with a few droplets still on it so I would assume this is where its dripping from.

Any advice, tips, or stories of relation are helpful. No point in flaming or criticizing as I really don't care about what you have to say

With that said...here are the pictures. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to be as descriptive as possible. I hate when people start threads with one sentence and no real description of the problem or what exactly the question even is.

Thank you all for reading this.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, that's a big gap. Looks like the windsheild may even be warped (if that's possible.) You probably need to have it re-installed with new stripping.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Weatherstripping water leak - common? easily fixable? (I Shot 50 Cent)

Sit inside of it and have a friend pour some water on it with a hose and you should be able to see where it comes in from. Taking the carpet off helped me find the leak too.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn. thats a pretty big leak. i would assume that you would need to get the windshield taken out and put back in...it is obviously not sealed properly. just wait til you have a day off or something. meanwhile dry that **** up as best as you can to prevent mold and/or rust
Old 01-08-2007, 11:16 AM

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

Apparently the car was in an accident before I purchased but it was "fixed, and I use that term loosely obviously haha. As far as the rigidity goes the car drives fine and does not pull. The collision involved the lowered Civic to slide under the back of a Pathfinder. I know the airbags did not deploy. The rad support, bumper, fenders, and hood needed to be replaced.

With that information, and the replies from you guys I'm thinking its definitely possible that the windsheild was slightly shifted upwards therefore breaking any type of water-tight seals that may have been there. This further justifies all the statements you hear that state "DO NOT BUY A CAR THAT HAS BEEN IN AN ACCIDENT, REGARDLESS OF THE SEVERITY!!" You never know the full extent of what has been damaged. I'm just glad I didnt pay much for the car. Its an awesome condition 99 dx with 68k on the clock and a clean title, for $1200. The accident apparently did not go through insurance, thus the title is still clean. Apparently the Pathfinder was barely scratched.

I guess the reply about literally replacing the windsheild, minus the glass...kinda seems the route that I'll be going.

Thanks again for the quick and "to the point" replies, as they confirm the suspicions that I had.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (I Shot 50 Cent)

my gap wanst that big, so i jsut put a bit of silicon.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Re: (MugenManR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MugenManR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my gap wanst that big, so i jsut put a bit of silicon. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I appreciate your reply! Did you put the silicone under the weatherstripping, or did you remove the stripping all together and temporarily bead some silicone along the windsheild line?

Thanks for your replies guys!
Old 01-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow thats a big gap, mine apparently did the same but looks like the previous owner took care of it via silicone glue on the inside of the windshield i would say its kinda common. im in socal bought the car from denver co. know what you mean about the accident thing, mine had a small dent in the hatch area, had to replace the whole hatch cause it leaked water no matter what, cool thing is i found a ctr hatch with glass for $90. i would do the silicon thing, if it dosent work i just got my glass replaced it cost $120, i believe its an extra $30 for new stripping.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:32 PM

that is an aftermarket trim kit, they just pull it off a big role, and if they dont use the right one, it will not seal properly. looks like that is what happened.

i would say to fix it the RIGHT WAY, take the windshield out, and order the seal, and the plastic pieces from Honda.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i kep the strip i just put the silicon under it.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MugenManR)

Use urethane not silicone. Silicone attracts water. Thats why glass companies use urethane instead of silicone

(edit spelling)
Old 01-08-2007, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sodatab)

w.e i used. i havent had a prob scenc.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW. 1,200 for a clean title (obviously not technically...but as far as legality is concerned) 99 hatch? thats a steal. even if you did have to pay a little to fix it up.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Re: (alacard)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alacard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">WOW. 1,200 for a clean title (obviously not technically...but as far as legality is concerned) 99 hatch? thats a steal. even if you did have to pay a little to fix it up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks man! I got it from a buddy of mine. He was in a bind, and my sister had just crashed my integra which only had liability. So I had about 3 grand and wanted the most "car" I could get.

So I bought this, dead stock except for a muffler. I went to hondaautomovieparts.com and partstrain.com to buy the support, bumper, lights, hood, and fenders...and slapped it all on. So for a bit over 2 grand I had a complete car that only needed paint on the front end.

When I first got it...the stripping was only lifted a little on the corner but it got worse with time. The first few weeks I had it there were no leaks whatsoever. Thats whats so confusing, how it got so bad so quick. With this last rainstorm I was out there yesterday with a styrofoam cup literally scooping water out of it. Sucks...but now I gotta pay someone to fix it.

But I'd rather pay to have it done correctly, than butcher it trying to rig it myself. And just as a few people said above me, I've also heard horror stories of people having windsheilds and sunroofs replaced, and they leaked afterwards. I'm just hoping for the best.

I appreciate all the replies guys, they helped alot!