Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

we are doing the swap now and iwe cant get the axel nut off...help now please!!!!!

Old 03-20-2004, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default we are doing the swap now and iwe cant get the axel nut off...help now please!!!!!

me and ricey are doing the swap and we cant get the axel nut off. we have tried beaker bars , wrenchs and air copressor. is there any other way we can get the axel out?
Old 03-20-2004, 08:40 AM

Default Re: we are doing the swap now and iwe cant get the axel nut off...help now please!!!!! (jh)

are you turning the nut the correct way? Is it just seized? try wd40. If the Rotor turns use a something to hold it. ie. a screw driver, jam it between the vents in the disc brake and wedge it on the caliper.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: we are doing the swap now and iwe cant get the axel nut off...help now please!!!!! (stock00)

or better yet, pop the center cap out and put the rim back on. lower the car and go to town with breaker bar......

pb-blaster works 100x better than wd40. pb blaster doesnt' work then heat it up. what size impact are you using.(3/8, 1/2 amount of torque) a decent impact should get just about anything off.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:56 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: we are doing the swap now and iwe cant get the axel nut off...help now please!!!!! (miahmouse)

are you swapping from D to B, etc?? If so, then no need to pull axle from the hub.

I have NEVER not been able to get an axle nut off. Car on the ground with a 1/2 inch breaker bar and put all 200 lbs of me standing on it....comes off every time
Old 03-20-2004, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: we are doing the swap now and iwe cant get the axel nut off...help now please!!!!! (Emerika)

y0! Evan, this is Ricey (sean). Maybe I'm just being retarted, but we've managed to snap a 1/2 drive breaker bar. Possibly are the axle nuts reverse threaded or something? WTF can use to cut through an axle? I HAVE to get this tranny out by tonight. I can pull the whole motor, but can't get the damned axles out. Please help me!
Old 03-20-2004, 09:08 AM

Default Re: we are doing the swap now and iwe cant get the axel nut off...help now please!!!!! (jh)

have you tried using a torch? heat the bitch up till its glowing red, the use the impact. if that don't work cut the nut off.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: we are doing the swap now and iwe cant get the axel nut off...help now please!!!!! (stock00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stock00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have you tried using a torch? heat the bitch up till its glowing red, the use the impact. if that don't work cut the nut off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

beat me to it
Old 03-20-2004, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stock00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have you tried using a torch? heat the bitch up till its glowing red, the use the impact. if that don't work cut the nut off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm at a lack for tools right now. I'm like 200 miles from home, have next to no tools, and need this tranny. Do I or do I not have to be able to move the axles to get the tranny out? I have NO torch. No way to heat the bolt up guys. I'm growing very tired of this very quick. Somebody help me please!
Old 03-20-2004, 09:14 AM
Solbros Owns Me

well if you really need to get the tranny out, unbolt the ball join and lower shock fork bolt and pull the axle out of the tranny and swing the hub out with it and let the axle dangle.

I had to swap blocks last night in my car...lol....and thats what I did....much easier, espeically when working alone to get the axles out.

Make sure you unstake the nut also....there's a little tab indented onto the axle....it sometimes can keep it from turning.

And it's regular thread. Just use a breaker and throw a jack handle on the end....I dunno whatto tell you
Old 03-20-2004, 09:16 AM
Solbros Owns Me

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm at a lack for tools right now. I'm like 200 miles from home, have next to no tools, and need this tranny. Do I or do I not have to be able to move the axles to get the tranny out? I have NO torch. No way to heat the bolt up guys. I'm growing very tired of this very quick. Somebody help me please!</TD></TR></TABLE>

then just do what I said....leave the axle in the hub and swing the hub assembly away and let the axles dangle. Not as much room to work, but if it's what you gotta do, then do it
Old 03-20-2004, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: we are doing the swap now and iwe cant get the axel nut off...help now please!!!!! (Emerika)

maybe we are doing this wrong. which way to turn the axel nut clock wise or counter clock?
Old 03-20-2004, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

counterclock
Old 03-20-2004, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

then just do what I said....leave the axle in the hub and swing the hub assembly away and let the axles dangle. Not as much room to work, but if it's what you gotta do, then do it</TD></TR></TABLE>
Okay. This is what I have don so far. The hubs are still on the axles. I have EVERYTHING except for one last bolt on the lower front control arms (I guess that's what they're called). And I can't get it out. I mean I have damn near everything in the front suspension taken apart to get this out.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:44 AM
Solbros Owns Me

you guys are friggin crazy....

I only had to remove 1 nut(ball joint) and the lower shock fork bolt to pull my axle out yesterday....and everytime I do it.

You're probably pulling the wrong stuff off....take a pic
Old 03-20-2004, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you have the larger ratchets... 1/2" drive will be fine...

use that and the 32mm socket... leave the car on the ground with the rim/tire on and use the long *** floor-jack handle onto the ratchet... these pretty much dont break, only the breaker-bars do...
Old 03-20-2004, 11:57 AM

i had some problem when i did this just buy some Blaster PB (its kinda like wd-40 but waaay better) and it should come right off

Steve
Old 03-20-2004, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn sorry to hear you guys are having trouble. I hope everything works out . Other than this how is your first swap going ricey?
Old 03-20-2004, 01:39 PM
mike93eh

i use a 3/4" rachet and a 3 foot breaker bar. works everytime. has to be 3/4" though, those wont break..
Old 03-20-2004, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike93eh)

3/4"?? daym that heavy duty, where is that avail besides tool trucks. My dad usta be a matco dealer, i only saw that size on his truck, no where else.
Old 03-20-2004, 02:11 PM
Pooping on children

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (xerox445)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xerox445 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3/4"?? daym that heavy duty, where is that avail besides tool trucks. My dad usta be a matco dealer, i only saw that size on his truck, no where else.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sears has them
Old 03-20-2004, 02:25 PM

Default Re: (xerox445)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xerox445 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3/4"?? daym that heavy duty, where is that avail besides tool trucks. My dad usta be a matco dealer, i only saw that size on his truck, no where else.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Autozone,checker,napa,bap and so on all have 32mm sockets......32mm is the correct size of the axle nut. If you strip it using something else its your own fault. Pb blaster is also and excellent penetrating oil that breaks nuts loose.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:19 PM
New User

Default Re: (Eyewitness)

i hope you guys unstaked the axle nut,...if you look closely at the nut,..you will see a small indentation,..unstaked that,..put the car on the ground with the wheels on,..PB blast the axle nut,..and take a hefty break bar to it,..or you can do what i did and go to lowes or home depot,..buy a 4ft lead pipe that will fit around your breaker bar,..i call the lead pipe a cheater bar,..works everytime
Old 03-20-2004, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2.0 EK)

This was me btw.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm at a lack for tools right now. I'm like 200 miles from home, have next to no tools, and need this tranny. Do I or do I not have to be able to move the axles to get the tranny out? I have NO torch. No way to heat the bolt up guys. I'm growing very tired of this very quick. Somebody help me please!</TD></TR></TABLE>Well guys, I'm back in Charlotte at my aunt's house and dear lord...talk about an ordeal. I got EVERYTHING out, axles and all, and had no lift. We tried to lift the motor out using a bar and some rope stuff, and couldn't do it. I didn't even manage to get the tranny off (one nut that was super stuck).

As far as the axles go, my hoss of a friend broke a 1/2 breaker bar trying to pop this thing off. The indentions had been pressed back out, and the wheels were on the ground. We had even soaked in it PB blaster.

I hope if Hayden gets it out he's willing to ship the tranny to me.

EDIT: I've nicknamed this weekend "Operation Clusterfuck" to answer how well it went. I'm quite frustrated. 200+ miles, and no new tranny. I'm out money and we didn't get jack **** done really.

Modified by Ricey McRicerton at 2:30 PM 3/23/2004
Old 03-20-2004, 03:48 PM

Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well if you really need to get the tranny out, unbolt the ball join and lower shock fork bolt and pull the axle out of the tranny and swing the hub out with it and let the axle dangle.

I had to swap blocks last night in my car...lol....and thats what I did....much easier, espeically when working alone to get the axles out.

Make sure you unstake the nut also....there's a little tab indented onto the axle....it sometimes can keep it from turning.

And it's regular thread. Just use a breaker and throw a jack handle on the end....I dunno whatto tell you </TD></TR></TABLE>
even that is not that bad, WTF are you two doin
Old 03-20-2004, 03:54 PM

Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

On the integra that I pulled my engine from, we were able to get both the axle nuts off just by someone holding the brakes, and someone else use a braker bar. 2 seconds they were off. On my car, I used a bar that was about 3 ft long, and took the one side off, the other side, we finally found an impact socket for it, so we used that.

For the rusted POS car that I did an auto to manual converion on, The bolts were a bitch. We used a 5 ft cheater bar with 3 people pushing and managed to brake 1 1/2 in breaker bar, and 3 1/2 ratchets. Trip to sears, and with the new tools, it came off.

You have to take them off if your doing a b series swap. D-series are only good with d-series trannys, and b series axles are only good with b series engiens/trannys.

Basicly just put a cheater bar on it. Both are normal threaded. Normal counter clockwise takes them off.

It is all about trq. If your cheater bar is only a ft long, then if you apply 100lbs to the bar, your only getting giving it 100ftlbs of trq. If you put a 10 ft pipe over the braker bar, and you apply 100lbs to the bar, your apply 1,000ftlbs of trq to the nut. Physics is your freind.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: we are doing the swap now and iwe cant get the axel nut off...help now please!!!!!