Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Way way overfilled oil... whats the damage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Way way overfilled oil... whats the damage?

Soooo i just picked up this civic super cheap because it was smoking badly. I checked the oil and it was crazy overfilled!

i'm talking about 4 quarts OVER what you need it it lol (dumb lady!)

i drained it out and it still FILLING THE ENTIRE STREET WITH SMOKE! lol

what happend? i think it needs a new motor
Old 09-01-2006, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Way way overfilled oil... whats the damage? (Sketch_hs)

bad gasket. What color is the smoke? Too much oil can cause gaskets to blow, or so i have been told
Old 09-01-2006, 08:43 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Way way overfilled oil... whats the damage? (sol2hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sol2hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bad gasket. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sol2hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bad gasket. What color is the smoke? Too much oil can cause gaskets to blow, or so i have been told</TD></TR></TABLE>

blue smoke like crazy! it's burning oil baaaad

engine still runs smooth and has good power. i'm going to do a compression test tomorrow
Old 09-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gaskets, crank and cam seals rear main seals.
What it does is cause too much pressure in your block/head and that pressure gets forced where ever the weakest link is.

1 quart low is better than 1 quart more but right at the line is perfect no matter what.

Looks like time for a nice swap

White smoke is oil, black smoke is gas
Old 09-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Way way overfilled oil... whats the damage? (sauceja)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sauceja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
White smoke is oil, black smoke is gas</TD></TR></TABLE>

and blue is oil

i'm guessing it somehow fucked the rings or something in the head? it's strange the engine still has good power lol
Old 09-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sauceja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">White smoke is oil, black smoke is gas</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, white smoke is coolant or moisture, black smoke is fuel and thin blue smoke is oil.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:03 PM

to mouch oil can cause bad things i would tear down you enigine and check for damage.. i had a lady go to my work who was complaining about to much smoke and it turned out to be she fill he oil all the way up to the top of the oil cap.. lets just say she ended up buying a new engine.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i think new engine sucks

Old 09-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Sketch_hs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sketch_hs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah i think new engine sucks

</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, not necessarily. I have done this myself once on an old golf. Smoke is normal when overfilled that much with oil. What happens is pure oil is sent right back into the intake through that little PCV thing/hose on your valve cover. If you open up your intake/Throttle boddy you will probably see it is dingy with oil. Anyways, after I drained out the excess oil the car ran fine.

Just my 0.02
Old 09-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Way way overfilled oil... whats the damage? (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, white smoke is coolant or moisture, black smoke is fuel and thin blue smoke is oil.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My bad but close. Sorry for the misinfo.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (old man neri)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by old man neri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No, not necessarily. I have done this myself once on an old golf. Smoke is normal when overfilled that much with oil. What happens is pure oil is sent right back into the intake through that little PCV thing/hose on your valve cover. If you open up your intake/Throttle boddy you will probably see it is dingy with oil. Anyways, after I drained out the excess oil the car ran fine.

Just my 0.02</TD></TR></TABLE>
well he says its still smoknig after the drain/refill. so it seems like there is still something up
Old 09-01-2006, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

rings are worn on that engine, and the lady probably ovefilled it so she didnt constantly have to refill. Engine needs a rebuild, there is nothing you can do that will fix it without replacing the rings (and probably honing the cylinder walls) Rear mains, gaskets etc, they wont fix a burning oil issue, they don't allow oil into the cylinders. Just get a different engine.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Way way overfilled oil... whats the damage? (Eyal 951)

only way to really know is to tear it down. all this is still speculation. see how bad it is.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Way way overfilled oil... whats the damage? (slowEJ8)

Engine swap
Old 09-02-2006, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sketch_hs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Soooo i just picked up this civic super cheap because it was smoking badly. I checked the oil and it was crazy overfilled!

i'm talking about 4 quarts OVER what you need it it lol (dumb lady!)

i drained it out and it still FILLING THE ENTIRE STREET WITH SMOKE! lol

what happend? i think it needs a new motor </TD></TR></TABLE>

I can let you know from first hand experience that 4 quarts will hydrolock your car.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Way way overfilled oil... whats the damage? (Eyal 951)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eyal 951 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">rings are worn on that engine, and the lady probably ovefilled it so she didnt constantly have to refill. Engine needs a rebuild, there is nothing you can do that will fix it without replacing the rings (and probably honing the cylinder walls) Rear mains, gaskets etc, they wont fix a burning oil issue, they don't allow oil into the cylinders. Just get a different engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well she said it was fine, then someone told her she needed to add oil so she put like a freaking gallon in

i'm going to check the PCV and intake manifold/tb maybe they are full of oil and thats why it's still smoking?

I'll post up findings soon... it's going to be a long but fun weekend! It's so nice to have a project car that when finished will make you a nice profit!
Old 09-02-2006, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Way way overfilled oil... whats the damage? (FuNkDrSpOt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FuNkDrSpOt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can let you know from first hand experience that 4 quarts will hydrolock your car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

it seems like it should have! but it runs fine cept for the smoke cloud

anyways the worst case is a new d15 which is like &lt; $100... just a little bit more work then i wanted to do
Old 09-02-2006, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sketch_hs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it seems like it should have! but it runs fine cept for the smoke cloud

anyways the worst case is a new d15 which is like &lt; $100... just a little bit more work then i wanted to do </TD></TR></TABLE>

Personally, I'd rebuild it because you never know what type of beating the motor you buy might have taken.

It might cost more but it's a better investment. Maybe $1k for great parts to have the motor running 100% brand new for 150k miles or $200 for a swap that might last 5k - 50k.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this isn't a daily driver or anything

i'm just going to flip it for some quick cash

Compression test shows perfect 175psi across the board

Drove it for a few more miles and it's smoking way way less

I think it's going to be fine after a few hundred miles i mean the amount of smoke has gone down to maybe 5% of when i drained the oil out at first like 6 miles ago! lol

The engine runs really good for having 194k!
Old 09-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sketch is a good name then.

Sketchy as in I am glad I am not buying that "flipped" car making you a profit for an unreliable car with a history.

I'm out!
Old 09-02-2006, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sauceja)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sauceja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sketch is a good name then.

Sketchy as in I am glad I am not buying that "flipped" car making you a profit for an unreliable car with a history.

I'm out! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't flame or post *****.

Nowhere in the entire thread was the car said to be unreliable. The lady who he bought it from overfilled the oil with an extra 4qts. He drained it and it still smoked but he didnt' drive it long enough to burn the excess oil IN the engine. He compression tested it and it had good compression.

If the compression test is positive, and he does a leak down and it'll be postive, what would be wrong with him flipping the car?
Old 09-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FuNkDrSpOt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FuNkDrSpOt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't flame or post *****.

Nowhere in the entire thread was the car said to be unreliable. The lady who he bought it from overfilled the oil with an extra 4qts. He drained it and it still smoked but he didnt' drive it long enough to burn the excess oil IN the engine. He compression tested it and it had good compression.

If the compression test is positive, and he does a leak down and it'll be postive, what would be wrong with him flipping the car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

my point exactly

i just did a valve adjustment and drove it another 10 miles

smoke is almost gone! the engine is strong... stronger then my 95 lx with only 112k for sure :/

I spent 4 hours detailing the car today... this lady wasn't just dirty... she was gross

melted candy and coffee stains... rotting food under the chairs yuck

so much better now! this car is getting a second chance on life
Old 09-02-2006, 10:01 PM

damn one time i filld my oil tank like 2 quarts over and drove for like a week then my homeboy noticed i was way over and draind oil out. nothin happend though. it was when i just got my car and didnt know much and checkd my oil on a hill and it seemd low ~_~
Old 09-03-2006, 05:11 AM
ECX
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sketch_hs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

my point exactly

i just did a valve adjustment and drove it another 10 miles

smoke is almost gone! the engine is strong... stronger then my 95 lx with only 112k for sure :/

I spent 4 hours detailing the car today... this lady wasn't just dirty... she was gross

melted candy and coffee stains... rotting food under the chairs yuck

so much better now! this car is getting a second chance on life </TD></TR></TABLE>
haha nice. That will help alot when you go to sell it.

Quick Reply: Way way overfilled oil... whats the damage?