Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Water Pump and Timing Belt Replacement - CX

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump and Timing Belt Replacement - CX

Hi all, my first post (I think)...

My GF has a base 1995 CX (1.5) with 140K miles give or take, no nothing, and it appears her water pump just went. I see the pump is only about $25, but to replace it requires taking apart the engine.

Is this something that can be done myself (fairly competent DIY with my car, but only small amounts of work on hers, and mine is a different animal)? I replaced her radiator and my own items, but other than pulling the valve cover on my car, I try to stay away from the serious engine work. Mechanic can't get to it until Tuesday, and she sort of needs it today/this weekend (will trade cars if I can DIY).

I believe its basically - support engine, remove mount, remove cover, unbolt and replace? Is this close? And I should at least replace timing belt and water pump correct? Time for this - 3 hours?

I've searched here and elsewhere, but did not find a step-by-step. She drove up to my house (around 100 miles from hers) and its in my driveway now. But her book (Haynes) is at her house so I do not have it as a reference. I will buy one, but want an idea of difficulty before I say yes or no.

Thanks for reading and any help you can provide!

Sean
Old 11-12-2004, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Water Pump and Timing Belt Replacement - CX (elliott6)

the biggest problem you will have is removing the crank pulley. once you have that off remove the timing belt, then remove and replace the water pump. (make sure you use a new gasket) make sure everything is at TDC and reinstall your belt, tension it, put covers back on, instal crank pulley, add misc belts. done.

easy to do really, A/c can get in teh way if she has it. pay attention to the timing and you'll be fine. I would replace the timing belt while your in their too.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:23 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Water Pump and Timing Belt Replacement - CX (turbo sol)

Here ya go: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=649277

Also in my mini-me writeup...I have timing belt replacement instructions: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=554053
Old 11-12-2004, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Water Pump and Timing Belt Replacement - CX (BauleyCivic)

Wow everyone! Thanks for the quick response.

I swear I searched and did not find any useful info. I know what a pain it is to reply to the same questions over and over again. This is exactly what I was looking for!

I guess you Honda import guys aren't all bad after all! Just kidding!!!

Thanks again for the help. I'm going to look this over and assess the situation. It's been a big help!!!!

Sean