Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Water leak in 99 Civic EX - building on drivers side floor

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water leak in 99 Civic EX - building on drivers side floor

So for a few months or so now I have been having this problem any time it rains. Water is building on the drivers side floor. It usually just soaks the front drivers side but occasionaly the rear drivers side also builds water.

I have not observed the water actually coming in and it seams to be very slow.

I should mention there is also a leak in the trunk that I am working on. I have drilled two holes through the trunk to allow water to drain. I made new gaskets for the tail lights but havent used sealant on it yet.

Just thought I should mention the trunk thing so as to provide any possibly relevant information.

It looks like the wetness going up slightly behind the gas / brake / clutch pedal area and stops after a few inches.

I have attached pics - any help would be greatly appreciated. If I can't get it in the next few weeks ill probably just take it to the dealer.
Attached Images      
Old 12-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Water leak in 99 Civic EX - building on drivers side floor

in my hatch under my seats were getting wet and it came all the way from the tailights. I too did the new gaskets, but the clear silicone on the top corners of the taillights is what helped it. Try sealing around the lights and see where it takes you. Also, maybe pop your hood and see if the water is traveling off of wires going through the firewall, just some food for thought.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This could be any number of things.. IE: door seal, antenna gasket, rotted floor pan, water leaking around the bolts that hold your foot rest in, water traveling through the wire loom going through the fire wall, bad seal around the wind shield, sunroof (if equipped), among other things like the tail lights even. If it were the tail lights you would notice it in your trunk and on the rear floor pan as well. You could try pulling your carpet back and having a friend sit in the car while you spray different areas with a hose and see what causes the most water to come in your car.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:03 AM
New User

I have water in the floor on the driver's side of my Honda Civic...2007 model. Any ideas?
Old 12-07-2009, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ssvafan
I have water in the floor on the driver's side of my Honda Civic...2007 model. Any ideas?
I'm not trying to be a dick but that car is only 3 years old and is hopefully under warranty still. I would let the pro's handle it. If it's not under warranty, listen to the person who posted before me and try the water test (spraying water on the car) and looking for where it's coming in.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all of the input guys. I found the problem. The sunroof drain hose had come disconnected from the hose that is connects to in the area behind the ecu (i think that's the ecu, kind of behind the fuze box area).

I took pics and i'll post here in a few days.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So here are the pics showing where the hose was disconnected. You have to get way down and under the steering column to get at it. It might be easier to take out the drivers seat first but I was able to get at it without doing that.

You can see from the pics that the black hose is disconnected from the clear tubing that runs to the sunroof. You will be able to see the clear tube once you are in there just make sure you have a flashlight.

After reconnecting i put some ducked tape around it to hopefully keep it from working its way out again. The hoses look like they should be just a tad longer to prevent this from happening.

After I tested by pouring water in to the front drivers side drain hole in the sunroof and it exited the vehicle in the area just before the wheel well. No more water pouring down from behind the ecu.
Attached Images    
Old 12-12-2009, 10:42 AM

hmmm.. interesting because I'm getting the same problem and I don't know where the hell the water is coming from. I'll definitely check this out, thanks.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alot of water leaks in Honda/Acura cars are because of the sun roof drains/gutters.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Figures. I just didn't know where the heck to look.

Next ill try to get my trunk water leak to completely stop :D
Old 12-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just strip your car and clean the water.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you so much for posting this info! I had been looking everywhere for a leak for the past year.. I resealed the wiper cowl with weatherstripping, removed the headliner to check the visor tubes, and resealed the driver's passenger fender area that someone suggested may be the cause. Nothing helped.. then I came across this thread. I checked the tube behind the ECU and sure enough the end was hanging out of the sidewall. I guess the grommet lost it's adhesive and fell out due to vibration. So I smeared some black silicone on there and plugged it back it. I'm 99% sure this was the cause of my leak (drivers side floor panel wet back to rear floor after rain).

Thanks again drfundy!
Old 03-12-2018, 06:25 AM
Trial User

Hey guys, just wanted to say that this thread was a HUGE help. I had wet floors on the divers side of my 2000 Civic EX Coupe and assumed it was related to the trunk leak I was dealing with. I dealt with that, but still had wet floors! Literally every other forum post and youtube fix video related to the sunroof leaking was just about unclogging the drain tubes. This was the first one that I found that actually talked about the location of the driver's side drain tube AND included pictures. I would not have known to check behind that metal bracket with the grey box mounted to it (I'm assuming that's the "open door" beep speaker?). I've attached a couple pictures of the tube after having removed the grey box (I believe the original post's box was black) and unscrewed that bracket. The wire connecting the yellowed tube to the black elbow is the speaker wire I had run down from the sunroof to check for clogs. Thanks again!
Before moving the bracket out of the way. I had tried to get to the tube before, but just made it worse.
After moving the bracket out of the way. This is more how it looked when I originally got to it. I'd say about 80% of the water going through ended up on my carpets
Old 02-24-2019, 01:27 PM
Trial User

Icon7 Re: Water leak in 99 Civic EX - building on drivers side floor

I Just joined this forum so I could also say THANK YOU!

I'm embarrassed to say I've had this leak for years and every once in a while I'd go out and try to figure it out -

Anyway I also would never have thought to take of the gray box (mine said cruise control on it, is it the entire ecu?)

It's tight in there but there it was, just like in your pictures so I didn't bother taking pics of mine.

One thing that might help is that I removed the lower bolt from that bracket and just bent it up out of the way after removing the gray box.

To get clearance to bend the bracket up I unbolted the hood release lever/cable.

It's nice that they were all 10mm.

I just stuck it back in there, it seems like it will stay, but if not I'll go back in there and do something.

thanks again, you guys rock!

Paul

1992 civic si
On second motor and second speedometer so who knows how many miles but she's running great.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shaddart
I Just joined this forum so I could also say THANK YOU!

I'm embarrassed to say I've had this leak for years and every once in a while I'd go out and try to figure it out -

Anyway I also would never have thought to take of the gray box (mine said cruise control on it, is it the entire ecu?)

It's tight in there but there it was, just like in your pictures so I didn't bother taking pics of mine.

One thing that might help is that I removed the lower bolt from that bracket and just bent it up out of the way after removing the gray box.

To get clearance to bend the bracket up I unbolted the hood release lever/cable.

It's nice that they were all 10mm.

I just stuck it back in there, it seems like it will stay, but if not I'll go back in there and do something.

thanks again, you guys rock!

Paul

1992 civic si
On second motor and second speedometer so who knows how many miles but she's running great.
Well I'm glad it helped some other people.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts

It's been 10 years since you posted this and it's still helping people. I started having this happen this winter to my 1999, and I would have thought I looked everywhere. But this finally showed me the light! Same as the others, water appearing on drivers side. Tube must shrink over time and becomes disconnected. Used Gorilla Tape to hold it back together.

Fixed!

Thank you, thank you!