Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Water Leak: 94 Civic EX coupe!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Leak: 94 Civic EX coupe!

So I have this problem with my 94 ex coupe.... When I bought it, it went straight into the garage and was stripped down for the build.

So my sister bought the house where the car was and I finshed up and got kicked out. One day, I got into the car and noticed the carpet was soaking wet(drivers side front floor) I was confused as I have a daily driver and the car doesnt move in the rain/snow.

After stripping everything back out of the car and taking the headliner out to check the sunroof drains, none of them were clogged. I pulled them off, had somebody hold their finger over where it comes out in the fender well and none of them were clogged.

Still confused, I had a couple friends suggest it might be the seam sealer on the wiper cowl/firewall/fender area. With their advise, I took off the fender, wiper cowl, and the hood/hood hinge and replaced all of the seam sealer on the drivers side of the car with brand new! I put everything back together, positive that I had fixed the problem...

Well, the next day it rains... I go out and check the car waiting for the floor to for once be completely dry... and its not. Soaking wet, again!

I have lost all patience and just wondering if anybody else has ever had this problem/any suggestions on how to fix it.

Cliffs:
Drivers side floor accumulates water when it rains (yet the car is not driven in it)
Sunroof drain has been checked, and is free from any blockage
re-sealed the wiper cowl/firewall/hood hinge with all new seam sealer
and it still leaks!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robbie
Old 04-20-2009, 05:30 PM
New User

Default Re: Water Leak: 94 Civic EX coupe!

I know how you feel man. My trunk has been taking in water for some time now and I figured out where it was leaking from on my back left side, but for some reason it seems like it seeps in on the right side too through the weather stripping around the window even though the stripping is tight. Makes no sense sometimes...
Old 04-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

windshield possibly?
Old 04-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if at all possible removing your carpet for the time being could really help you determine exactly where the water is coming from.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by joelmatt89
if at all possible removing your carpet for the time being could really help you determine exactly where the water is coming from.
Carpet has been out as I am getting a weld-in roll bar put in currently.

It is the front drivers side only. The pad behind the rubber mat (behind the pedal assembly) is wet halfwayish up all the way to the floor. (but I dont know if that is soaking up from the puddle on the floor)<--- if that makes sense.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Eh I had the same thing in mine but turned out the old owner ran wires through the firewall and was just missing a plug, check that. if its dark enough go put a light in your car and pop your hood and look at your firewall see if it has any light showing through
Old 04-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd say windshield or plugs, maybe even door or window seal? My old accord the pass door seal leaked and the rear window and the floor on the pass side got soaked any time it rained. I changed both out and never had any more problems.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I will check both of those tonight if it is not raining out. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Any more suggestions?
Old 04-22-2009, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump
Old 04-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

since your carpet's out, maybe try putting some talcum powder or something down to see specifically where it's seeping in from - at least a general direction. it could be a number of things from plugs to seals to cracks
Old 04-22-2009, 01:50 PM

I have seen a few 92-95 civics that have rusted out under the windshield trim and caused them to leak just a thought
Old 04-22-2009, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is a/c installed on this car and if so do you use a/c? could be a blocked condenser overflowing out the edge of the condenser housing.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SoCal EJ1
since your carpet's out, maybe try putting some talcum powder or something down to see specifically where it's seeping in from - at least a general direction. it could be a number of things from plugs to seals to cracks
Thanks man. Thats an awesome idea to at least see where exactly it is leaking in... and of course its supposed be nice for the next few days too!
Old 04-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by waaBAAH
is a/c installed on this car and if so do you use a/c? could be a blocked condenser overflowing out the edge of the condenser housing.
I still do have AC, but I do no use it. It just got over winter and I would rather rock the windows down anyway!
Old 04-23-2009, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for a puddle on my floor!

Anybody else have this problem???
Old 04-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright. So its coming from the windshield. I took the trim pieces off around both sides, but the top is still on there. It starts leaking in when you hold the hose at the top drivers side corner of the windshield.

Does anybody have anything they would suggest? Should I just run a thin bead of caulk around the drivers side of the window and call it a day? or is there a 'proper' way of fixing it? Any help would be appreciated!
Old 04-26-2009, 05:21 PM

have a glass company come out and reseal the windshield, they'll cut the old one out remove all old sealant and reseal it again.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any idea on how much that usually runs? I would call around right now, but obviously its a little late.

Any other ideas?
Old 05-07-2009, 03:24 AM
New User

I have a 96 HX and this leaky trunk thing is starting to really get to me so I am going to employ a technique from my pharma/bio-tech cleaning validation back ground.

Go to a any vitamin shop and pick of a bottle of vitamin B2 (Riboflavin). Get a hold of a Black Light (UV) the stronger the better. Riboflavin fluoresces under UV light.

Prepare a solution for B2 and water (2 grams per 1 liter). The dosage in grams or milligrams is on the label. If you are pressed for time crush the tabs. Riboflavin is highly soluble in water, very safe, and will not stain.

I would do this at night.

Dry that wet *** trunk out and set up your equipment. I would get another person to help you. Get in the trunk and have your helper start slowly and systematically pouring the Ribo solution around the areas of concern. Use the light to back track where that Efin leak is coming from.

That's how I am going to do it. Thought I could just figure it out on my own without going to this procedure.

Hope this works for you. This sounds like an issue with these vehicles I thought by now there would be some standard fix for this, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Good luck,

Shermando
Old 05-07-2009, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For the driver's side leak i had the same problem...I went to a glass shop and the guy told me 9 times out 10 its not the windshield...So i took my car back to my house and started pulling off the cowl, then the fender, and sure enough the grommet for the hood cable wasn't plugged into the firewall..I have a thread about it if your out of options
Old 05-07-2009, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Shermando
Hope this works for you. This sounds like an issue with these vehicles I thought by now there would be some standard fix for this, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Good luck,
Shermando
A good place to start is the tail light gaskets
Old 05-18-2009, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how did you go about fixing the leak bro?
my em1 has a leak in the driver side corner as well.
i pulled my weatherstriping back, and sprayed air and found the leak.

just dont know how to go about fixing it...
Old 06-22-2009, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I got the windshield replaced. It needed it anyway... It fixed some of the leak, but it still does leak a little bit. It now looks like it is coming in a small seam on the a-pillar... about 8" from the ceiling. What a frustrating mess!!!
Old 06-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the seal on the antenna maybe too?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SoCal EJ1
Check the seal on the antenna maybe too?
That seal is fine. I never got it wet when I was checking it for it either. I think I got it solved (I THINK). I guess there is some seam sealer in the rain gutter on the roof, and there were some small, hairline cracks. So I guess the water was getting in there, and then leaking down the a-pillar onto the drivers side floor. I think the window wasnt sealed completely either, as when I got it replaced, less water ended up on the floor... But, I am 99% sure that seam sealing the rain gutter hairline cracks fixed the issue.