Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Water Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Leak

Okay I have a 92 Civic SI Hatch and since I have gotten it my carpet has been soaked. Well this weekend I decided to strip my whole interior out and find out where the leak is coming from. I removed all of my carpet and underlying foam, which was completely water logged. I then removed the rubber that is towards the firewall that is backed by foam and was able to ring out about 2 gallons of water from it. Now I turned off all of my lights in the garage and was shining a bright light on the inside of the car while my friend looked on the outside for light coming through. We did not see anything. So I think I have eliminated holes in the floor or firewall. Does anyone else have this problem of there carpet getting soaked and if so, does anyone know where the leak could possibly be coming from? TIA Sorry so long.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Water Leak (underpressure (wtbimport))

is it just water or do you smell colant too?

if you smell coolant, it might be your heater
Old 11-18-2002, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Water Leak (DOHCtorTHRUST)

Nope I checked that it is just water. Or at least it seems to be. No smell of coolant. My other thought was that the person I bought the car from that at some point in time the car got really wet on the inside and the guy never dried the car out properly.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im in the same place as you ... If you do find out where its comming from please PM me !!!!!!!!! did you check the antena hole ... I have heard of some people havning water run down the collum to the FB there ...
Old 11-18-2002, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Water Leak (JDM_SIR_II)

That was shaved off. I do not have inner fender wells But I jsut got a set so not sure if the water could have been coming in there.
Old 11-18-2002, 12:04 PM

my friend and I both have 98 hatches and are experienceing this as well as abotu another 30 peopel right now!!

somehting with the weather, because there are abotu 5 or 6 posts abotu this happening lately to all of us for some reason.
Old 11-18-2002, 04:10 PM

Ok guys, I just went through this on my 92 Si as well. Here is what you need to do. First remove the plastic cowl at the base of the windsheild...on my EG it was held in with plastic clips under a plastic cap. You will need to remove the wipers as well. Once that is off, flip it over and you will notice that part of the seal is probably rotten or completely gone (mine was both) doesn't need to be a large chunk missing, but it is enough to get a lake in the car. To remedy this, go to Home Depot and pick up some thin (about 3/16" wide) window seal. Clean off the old one seal on the cowl and apply the new one. I had also sprayed undercoating to the now exposed metal. The next thing to do is to take all those plastic clips and through em in the garbage, you will bitch and complain about putting them back....plus because of the sun the cowl will be warped and will never sit right. So the solution is to go back to Home Depot and pick up a set of M10 or M8 (can't remeber) bolts with either an Allen key or Phillips head and use that.
Old 11-18-2002, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Water Leak

i have had this same problem, i was just outside, ripping the under pad, and that black pad on the firewall. so i got rid of the water, and found more under myseat, but i have only noticed it to be on the floor, not on the seat doorplastics nothing, what does this mean?? can a better how to be posted up, maybe a picture by picture?
Old 11-18-2002, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Water Leak (josups)

need the info, up up up
Old 11-18-2002, 06:14 PM

whats up? maybe i can help... you mentioned that you were pulling out the interior etc. have that friend of yours soak down the outside of the car while you stay inside to watch, and see if you can tell where it is coming from. I work for honda, and this is a pretty effective method, hope this helps....
Old 11-18-2002, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Water Leak (acuratech)

Yeah I am thinking about trying that this weekend. Is there any place where they are known to leak from?
Old 11-18-2002, 09:19 PM

ok guys did I write in invisible characters or something? you have the answer right above. Water leaks in through the cowl, it passes by the blower motor and ends up on the passenger side floor only. Rip out your interior, have a bud hose the car while you are in it, you will see a trickle of water between the ECU and the firewall.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Water Leak (SamB16)

I did not see your post before. How do you remove the plastic cow? I tried to get it off but was afraid I would break all the clips.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a '96 hatch and I have this problem too...
Old 11-19-2002, 07:44 AM

Default Re: Water Leak (SamB16)

I have had to deal with the exact same situation on my 92si. I thought is was my windshield at first but made a guess about the cowl opening.That cowl was pretty warped but I did finally get it back on. I think Ill try the bolt idea though! Another word of caution about removing the cowl:Dont try to pry those pesky round plastic fasteners off with tools! It will crack the windshield if you use too much force!

BTW, I think there is a service bulletin from Honda about a leak on the pass side related to "poor body seam caulk".
Old 11-19-2002, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Water Leak (92hatchdude)

Will that leak be covered under a factory recall?
Old 11-19-2002, 10:33 AM

I dont think that there was a recall due to the leak problem. I found mention of the service bulletin while doing research on my hatch. I believe I found the info about the bulletin on one of the car sites. Carpoint,Edmunds or Kelly Blue Book..One of those has info about recalls and service bulletins.
Hope this helps!

Heres a link to all service bulletins for the 92si
http://www.alldata.com/TSB/24/92240274.html

[Modified by 92hatchdude, 2:47 PM 11/19/2002]
Old 11-19-2002, 01:49 PM

Default QUESTION TO all of you?.....

QUESTION.......... have all of us ever had a front windshield replacement?

I have had to have two.

and just noticed it this year occuring.
just another thought, so i can yell at the glass guy
Old 11-19-2002, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: QUESTION TO all of you?..... (pkek)

Yeah, I have .... (had my window replaced... )
Old 11-20-2002, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: QUESTION TO all of you?..... (JDM_SIR_II)

my dad has a 98 CRV and has the SAME problem... you guys should really consider bringing this to honda on a LARGE level.. since it appears to be a mechanical defect... i mean sure a car is expected to leak after a number of years.. but i HARDLY think that 5 years old is an exceptable range... you should all really exchange emails and get the ball rolling...
Old 11-20-2002, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Update long

Okay guys here is an update. I just got in from working on the leak. I took that plastic piece off around the windshield the lower piece. Took my time and got all the little push clips out with out breaking them. I then took Windex and sprayed the whole bottom part of the windshield on the outside. On the inside I took my air hose and blew air along the bottom of the windshield and when I got towards the right side it blew the Windex out of there like there was no seal in there at all. When I got to the corner of the right side it was bubbling the Windex so not as big of a hole but still there. I then got out a razor blade and cut all the old caulking out. I then took a hair dryer and heated up the glass and the seam. I then took clear silicon caulk and caulked the entire seem and heated it to set it up. Also since I do not have inner fender wells I checked around there and on the right hand side there is this little black rubber **** I will call it. I blew air in there and could feel it coming in on the inside of the car. Does anyone know what this does or is for? I did not plug that hole yet. Also the plastic piece I removed the weather stripping is pretty much non-existent on it. Does anyone know where a good place to buy this would be? I was thinking home depot or an auto parts store.
Well that is my update. I will let you know more when I figure out what the black thing does. Thanks for the space.