Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Washington State Emission Laws???

Old 03-03-2003, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washington State Emission Laws???

questions for experience Washington State Hybrid guys/gals: what's the emission laws regarding swaps? also rules and regulations concerning engine swaps? please help!!! thanks guys!
Old 03-03-2003, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Washington State Emission Laws??? (superrally)

Probably doesn't help you too much since I see you live in Lynnwood, but I live on the eastern side of the cascades and as far as I know we have no emissions testing at all over here.

That doesn't mean there are no laws, but the only possible situation I could see happening (at least on this side of the state) is a cop pulling you over and asking you to pop the hood or checking for a cat or something. It's never happened to me, even once when I told the officer I had a modified intake (noise purposes, he claimed he "heard" me going fast)

[Modified by M-EJ1, 7:51 PM 3/3/2003]
Old 03-03-2003, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Washington State Emission Laws??? (superrally)

Look up your state DMV on the web...you may find quite a bit of info there.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Washington State Emission Laws??? (HXMan)

Its all the typical stuff, have to have the same year motor or newer, however our testing stations do not check this, hell they dont even pop your hood at the test. Basically they put your car on the dyno and record the levels of CO, HC, and CO2+HC at a couple RPM's. Then as long as you blow below the alotted numbers (very very easy with a honda that is in good tune, you can always dump a bottle of rubbing alcohol in your tank before you show up for the test as well). They test your gas cap to make sure it seals properly. if you have an OBD II vehicle they will plug in the scanner to check for CEL's. Other than that, its pretty straight forward and easy to pass.

You should be more concerned about having paperwork to prove the legality of your motor should a cop question you (never happened to me, but I dont street race). Like some one said above, you can get fined for not having a cat. If your really hardcore, you can even take the motors paperwork and your car with paperwork to the DMV and they will issue you WA State DOT ID numbers (like a VIN).

Its pretty lax as long as your motor is in good health.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:41 AM

Default Re: Washington State Emission Laws??? (Slurp56)

thanks guys!!! appreciate all the help!!!
Old 03-04-2003, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW They don't do statewide emmissions testing. Just the King and Pierce counties I think.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Washington State Emission Laws??? (martini)

BTW They don't do statewide emmissions testing. Just the King and Pierce counties I think.
Exactly! A cop friend of my dad's recommended that after I did my swap to register my car to my school address in Pullman that way I won't have get my car's emission's tested like I would had I left it registered in King County, and that's just what I did. He said he has a p.o. box in spokane that he registers his cars to. So that is a good way around it too.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Washington State Emission Laws??? (RedlinedVTEC)

Can you give some more info on registering your car at another location please? I have heard that PO boxes work as well. Do you have to have the address for any amount of time before you can register your car there? Any more info would be appreciated, thanks
Old 05-12-2003, 03:33 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slurp56 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its all the typical stuff, have to have the same year motor or newer, however our testing stations do not check this, hell they dont even pop your hood at the test. Basically they put your car on the dyno and record the levels of CO, HC, and CO2+HC at a couple RPM's. Then as long as you blow below the alotted numbers (very very easy with a honda that is in good tune, you can always dump a bottle of rubbing alcohol in your tank before you show up for the test as well). They test your gas cap to make sure it seals properly. if you have an OBD II vehicle they will plug in the scanner to check for CEL's. Other than that, its pretty straight forward and easy to pass.

You should be more concerned about having paperwork to prove the legality of your motor should a cop question you (never happened to me, but I dont street race). Like some one said above, you can get fined for not having a cat. If your really hardcore, you can even take the motors paperwork and your car with paperwork to the DMV and they will issue you WA State DOT ID numbers (like a VIN).

Its pretty lax as long as your motor is in good health. </TD></TR></TABLE>

all this is correct.. i passed a h22 in a cx with test pipe hehe.. just barely and it took me 4 tries but i still passed... they will pop your hood the first time to just glance at the motor.. pretty easy to pass though
Old 05-12-2003, 03:36 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Washington State Emission Laws??? (eli_vang)

I have emissions in Bellevue. But if you pay more than $50 for repair parts, then they will pass you from what I understand. Replace PCV valve, and basic tune-up crap...
Old 05-12-2003, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Washington State Emission Laws??? (w00t!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by w00t! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have emissions in Bellevue. But if you pay more than $50 for repair parts, then they will pass you from what I understand. Replace PCV valve, and basic tune-up crap...</TD></TR></TABLE>

My problem is I don't have an OBD2 computer