Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wanting to tap del Sol VSS and Injector Signals

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to tap del Sol VSS and Injector Signals

Hey folks,
My name is Kyle; obviously, I am quite new to these forums, but after reading some threads, I decided to join in on the fun.

I have a Computer Science background with very limited auto experience. I have owned a Honda for about 7 years now (98 Civic Hx Manual RIP , 97 Civic Hx Auto RIP , 95 del Sol Si ). I love/loved these cars, and would like to begin fiddling with the electronics within.

As my first project, I aim to build an mpg logging device for my 95 del Sol Si (similar to the MPGuino project), but am unsure and non-confident of which wires to tap/splice. I need a non-switched direct feed to a 12V, Ground, VSS signal, and the non-12V lead on 1 injector.

I found the VSS, identified what I think to be the correct lead (yellow wire with white line IIRC), and followed the wires to the wire cluster near the rear driver side part of the engine compartment. Then i pulled out an dash instrument cluster, and noticed the same colored wire going into the speedometer (which makes sense to me). But since it appeared that this same lead went through the ECU, I wanted to make sure this signal would somehow not be tampered before I messed with it.

I located the injectors - and it should be fairly simple to check which lead is the non-12v lead through splicing - however, before I poke a hole in the firewall, I want to ensure that there wasn't already a lead under the dash.

As for the pretty "straightforward" +12V and GND leads, I was poking around with my multimeter inside the wire cluster within the engine compartment driver side, and found a consistent 12V difference between a blue wire and a (IIRC) white wire with blue stripe?? These probably go through the firewall already, but wanted to make sure before I start needlessly stripping random wires.

I find it too cramped to be poking around with the multimeter under the dash, so I wanted to see if anyone can 'lead' (hehe) me in the right direction with color coding for these 4 wires I need, and any recommendations for poking any necessary holes in my firewall. Any resources where I can view an electrical diagram for my Honda?

Please excuse my naivety, and thanks in advance,

Kyle
Old 06-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Wanting to tap del Sol VSS and Injector Signals

A better idea is just look at the gallons your tank takes then divide by the amount of miles you got. I don't recommend what you're thinking of as for tapping sources both the vss and 1-4 injectors have wires steming from the ECU which are a lot easier to tap.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I do that currently. I am just wanting to get real-time access to my MPG, and be able to log it easily.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sectorbob
real-time access to my MPG,
hmm, ok didn't see that part though you just wanted mpg as a whole.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
hmm, ok didn't see that part though you just wanted mpg as a whole.
That makes sense. Does anyone know what color these wires are, or know where I can find a good wiring diagram?
Old 06-05-2013, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

crx HF is what you should do this to lol... they get insane mpg.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sleepyaccord96
crx HF is what you should do this to lol... they get insane mpg.
Okaaaayyy...
Well, does anyone have any experience with electronics in the del sol that can help me with this?
Old 06-05-2013, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you read wiring diagrams?
If so pick yourself up a Haynes manual for the 92-00 Honda Civic, CR-V, Integra, this will have the wiring for the engine you use and should provide insight
Old 06-05-2013, 10:40 AM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

I second the suggestion to buy a manual. Or, your local library will have one that you can check-out fo' free.

Deschlong and another mod are constantly posting wiring diagrams for people and they do a good job of attaching them so they don't disappear later on. I'm sure if you search on here you can find something.

If you are successful in your ventures, let us know how it goes and provide a write-up how-to, please. I do the whole miles driven / gallons consumed thing right now. It's fun but sometimes I forget to reset the trip odometer and it messes my data sets up.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CX-Adam
I second the suggestion to buy a manual. Or, your local library will have one that you can check-out fo' free.

Deschlong and another mod are constantly posting wiring diagrams for people and they do a good job of attaching them so they don't disappear later on. I'm sure if you search on here you can find something.

If you are successful in your ventures, let us know how it goes and provide a write-up how-to, please. I do the whole miles driven / gallons consumed thing right now. It's fun but sometimes I forget to reset the trip odometer and it messes my data sets up.
I will certainly do that. I am senor el cheapo, so I am not fond of spending money needlessly, so I will go check out the library. I will probably create another thread to document my MPG computer progress once I get going.

If anyone else has had experience with poking holes in the firewall, and tapping into any of these wires on a del sol, please respond and give me any kind of advice you can! It would be much appreciated!
Old 06-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sectorbob
Okaaaayyy...
Well, does anyone have any experience with electronics in the del sol that can help me with this?
i said that assuming all you are looking for is excellent mpg. yes you can get great mpg in a del sol but...why pick a del sol to do this to? there are many more vehicles in the world to pick from that get better milage such as a hf crx but besides that...

get a FSM and go from there man. no spoon feeding....
Old 06-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CX-Adam

+1 for the library lol
Old 06-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

+1 for the library lol
What is a library? Lol

Anyway, you can find the wiring diagrams on here, or on a simple google search.

As for tapping holes in the firewal: It's pretty thin so a decent dremmel tool with do the job, just be careful of lines and wires when doing so.
If you don't have one, you can use a small hacksaw blade to widen the current cluster hole.

If you're trying to make a completely new hole, you'll need a metal drillbit, a dremmel, or a steel tap.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hole saw kit will drill a perfectly round hole in the size of your choice.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ this is a large kit, they do sell smaller sizes... 15-30 bucks for a set from a tool store like harbor freight.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.carolinahondas.com/tech-talk/

Check up top for your wiring diagram needs. Is it a sin to link there from here? lol.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i said that assuming all you are looking for is excellent mpg. yes you can get great mpg in a del sol but...why pick a del sol to do this to? there are many more vehicles in the world to pick from that get better milage such as a hf crx but besides that...

get a FSM and go from there man. no spoon feeding....
I haven't said I was trying to be a hypermiler, by any means. I just want to have a fun electronics project to work on. I do love to burn some gas in this baby!

Originally Posted by Joshka89
What is a library? Lol

Anyway, you can find the wiring diagrams on here, or on a simple google search.

As for tapping holes in the firewal: It's pretty thin so a decent dremmel tool with do the job, just be careful of lines and wires when doing so.
If you don't have one, you can use a small hacksaw blade to widen the current cluster hole.

If you're trying to make a completely new hole, you'll need a metal drillbit, a dremmel, or a steel tap.
Good idea, I guess I was thinking by somehow squeezing the wires through the main electrical channel.

As for finding the repair manual at the library... no luck... just old fords, and chevys... hurls* I did dig up my old 96-01 civic manual by haynes and it appears the color coding is fairly similar.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SiWannabe
http://www.carolinahondas.com/tech-talk/

Check up top for your wiring diagram needs. Is it a sin to link there from here? lol.
I LOVE YOU... but after looking I couldn't find a file that related to my 95 del sol... :'( maybe I am blind.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Realistically, 92-95 civic should share all that.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SiWannabe
Realistically, 92-95 civic should share all that.
Okay i will look into that
Old 06-05-2013, 04:49 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The interior fuse panel itself has some accessory terminals at the top, some are switched, some are always hot. I can't remember which ones are which, but just check and see which ones have power with the ignition off. The VSS signal can be taped into near the ECU (passenger's side kick panel) as can the injector wiring (Solid blue, red, yellow, and brown wires)
Old 06-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
The interior fuse panel itself has some accessory terminals at the top, some are switched, some are always hot. I can't remember which ones are which, but just check and see which ones have power with the ignition off. The VSS signal can be taped into near the ECU (passenger's side kick panel) as can the injector wiring (Solid blue, red, yellow, and brown wires)
Good insight. After about 2 hours of poking around, I found where I will tap the vss and injector. The VSS is already through the firewall, as it runs to the Speedometer. Found this wire at the fuse box under the dash. The injector I will have to poke through the firewall. Here are some pics of my findings:

Here is a birds eye under my hood. I circled some points of note for the injector signals and VSS.

Here are two pictures showing where and what the VSS looks like:

Followed the VSS lead (Yellow with blue stripe) to the wire cluster, under the hood, on the driver side.

And here is the same VSS lead under the dash, on a JC in the front of the fuse box. I will probably splice in here.

Injectors:

And found all 4 injector signal leads going through a JC near the battery:

Not sure where I will penetrate the firewall with this baby (injector). Any recommendations?

Also, I wasn't able to tell from the wiring diagrams what leads were +12v and ground. I will just spend more time poking around with my multimeter tomorrow and find out what to use... it's just so freaking cramping down there and kept hitting my head on my brake/clutch pedels.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
mmm kickbox, eh? so at my passenger's feet? like near the ac unit?
Old 06-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

god I hate spoon feeding... but passenger side kick panel... its where your ecu is located all the wires you are showing and need come directly off the ecu... within an inch and a half of each other... find a pin out... google search for Honda obd1 pinout... there even all the same color...
Old 06-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDMAF
god I hate spoon feeding... but passenger side kick panel... its where your ecu is located all the wires you are showing and need come directly off the ecu... within an inch and a half of each other... find a pin out... google search for Honda obd1 pinout... there even all the same color...
Yeah, sorry for my n00bishness. We all have to start somewhere. I will look at that pin out.

Quick Reply: Wanting to tap del Sol VSS and Injector Signals